The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to judge that IMO. Teams with a crap defence... you'll see lots of sparkling play, plenty of shots on target. Concede goals and you have to try to score - more open games. Standard is not better but the spectacle is.
i think the coverage is better but i dont find the standard of the epl in anyway better than what it was 10-20 yrs ago.

i think the coverage is better but i dont find the standard of the epl in anyway better than what it was 10-20 yrs ago.

people are seduced to the EPL, and they are generally just supporters and viewers of the comp alone. no interest in other leagues. my theory on its popularity is

- easy team names to pronounce
- majority of players have names easy to pronounce
- its england, our former ruler (technically no but you know)

Will watch the replay when I get home from work. Who were the standouts for us? How many minutes did Sturridge & Hendo get?

Would love to see this front 6 at some point in the next few weeks:

-----Hendo-Lucas/Can-----
-Lallana-Firmino-Coutinho-
---------Sturridge-----------

Milner, Ibe, Benteke on the bench allowing us to change up our style if needed. Don't want to jinx it but we have plenty of options at the moment which is great to see.
Hendo got almost half an hour and Sturridge closer to 15-20. Henderson looked the better of the two once he came on.

I thought the standouts were Can, Clyne and Ibe.

On another note, I wonder if Milner is our go to pen taker now. I know Henderson wants to take them because he is the captain and feels he needs to take the responsibility. But the captain doesnt always need to take the pens. It just needs to be our best pen taker.

Without Stevie now, I have no real idea who our best pen taker is. The two I watched Milner dispatch have been golden. Id back him to keep taking them. I know Hendo wants to take them. Benteke and Sturridge would be keen to take pens too. Outside of those four, I cant imagine anyone else taking them.

Milner, Ibe, Benteke on the bench allowing us to change up our style if needed. Don't want to jinx it but we have plenty of options at the moment which is great to see.
Oh and the commentators were waxing lyrical about our options off the bench and how strong our squad is when we were able to bring on Henderson and Sturridge in the second half. That's with Allen not used, Lucas, Coutinho, Sakho, Gomez and Ings all injured. We do have a pretty deep squad.

Apparently Moreno has been playing through pain.

Will Klopp get Enrique off the xbox so he can have a rest in the league cup?

Enrique pulled his hamstring somehow. Will be out for a week.

Good to hear Lovren is playing better, I didn't see the game yet but I'm sure he still had his moments, but boy he has looked a different player this year so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no agreement with Borussia Dortmund. I heard about an agreement, but no. Yet in my opinion it only makes sense to go for players we think we can get. So if we want to battle [with the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City]… we can pay 100 [million], they can pay 120. It’s a crazy marketplace when you start doing this.

I have a good relationship still with Borussia Dortmund and with all the players. There is nothing between us and if there was a possibility that we could get one of those players and we needed him, then we could try it.

But there is no agreement, of course not. And there is no agreement that we can’t sell players to Borussia Dortmund.

Cue stories from the Express that the Liverpool could be chasing Mats Hummels, Marco Reus, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Sven Bender and Ilkay Gundogan.

Oh and the commentators were waxing lyrical about our options off the bench and how strong our squad is when we were able to bring on Henderson and Sturridge in the second half. That's with Allen not used, Lucas, Coutinho, Sakho, Gomez and Ings all injured. We do have a pretty deep squad.

Henderson & Sturridge now back in the side, Sakho due back within the next month. If we can keep them fit then that extra depth and quality on the bench can certainly be a point of difference for us relative to those sides like Spurs & Leicester that we'll likely be competing with for a top 4 spot. The ability to cover for injuries and rotate to keep everyone fresh while maintaining a quality XI on the park will be critical to our chances of success in the second half of the season.

We all said at the start of the season when we saw that hellish fixture over the first 13 weeks (which included arguably the 7 most difficult away trips in the league) that if we came through the other side of this run of games and were within touching distance of top 4, putting ourselves in a strong position to push on in the 2nd half of the season, then it would have been a good result.

Well - we're 2 points behind Tottenham, 4 points behind Arsenal in 4th and 6 points off City in 1st; so we've done that, and done it without 3 of our best players for the bulk of the season to date. Plenty of cause for optimism. Hopefully that injection of quality into the side will see us really lift into top gear over the next month or 2 and give ourselves every chance of going on a decent run, pushing into the top 4 and lifting some silverware.

Last edited:
I don't think the inclusion of Kolo, Henderson and Sturridge did anything to help that. Jordan and Daniel looked very cautious to run too much at times.

Hendo and Studge needed a good run just for the sake of long term, obviously it wasn't great for a while but we'll be better for it down the track

Pretty sure Kolo just comes on for a few mins to celebrate a win nowadays, if Kolo's coming on we've won

Didn't see the game but definitely happy winning at home against Swansea, more often then not, tend to play underwhelming and even lose against these sort of teams. 6 points from top, 4 points behind Arsenal in 4th. Didn't think would be up there given our dry and disappointing start to the season.

Huge month for us now lads. Really opens up. December into early January is gonna make or break us.

A - Southampton - League Cup QF
A - Newcastle - EPL
A - Sion - Europa League (already qualified)
H - WBA - EPL
A - Watford - EPL
H - Leicester - EPL
A - Sunderland - EPL
A - West Ham - EPL

That's a lovely run of fixtures, only two at home but in all honestly we play better away than we do at home anyways because teams dont park the bus at home and we can get at them.

Im hoping by the new year we will be in the League Cup semi's, finished top of our EL group and gotten at least 16 from 18 points in the league. It's only Leicester that should really trouble us.

Get around us, it's time to push on. Hendo and Studge back. Coutinho should be back soon. Lucas back from suspension!
Would rest most players against Sion you would think.. Southampton in the League Cup is a bit of good and bad. But happy with the run.
Newcastle away should be a dominant win if we would like to get into the top 4.
We've past the hard part of the draw - now have Man City, Arsenal, Everton, Man Utd and Tottenham all at home for the rest of the season.

If someone had told me at the start of the season that after 14 games (with that disastrous set of away fixtures) we'd only be 6 points off top spot AND we'd have Jurgen Klopp as our manager, I would've asked them for the details of their supplier.

Anything is possible this season, and it feels so great to be looking forward to every game so much again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back