PuntRoad Celt

Team Captain
Jan 12, 2014
Gate 8, The Jungle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtic
I don't know if this was shown anywhere in Australia, but the jolly old BBC, recently aired a documentary, built around some of the first footage shot of the Clash.
(now streaming on YouTube, link below).

Directed by Julien Temple (who would later make documentaries on the Sex Pistols, Joe Strummer, amongst others) when he was a student. The Clash: New Year’s Day ’77 has interviews with the band and climaxes with several songs from their January 1 1977 show, opening the short-lived, punk venue The Roxy (previously a gay club called Shagarrama).

Look out for some well known faces: Shane McGowan, Sid Vicious, Siouxsie, Chryssie Hynd, Adam Ant and others in the crowd scenes.

NB The film is not only about The Clash. The documentary shows, previously unseen footage (seemingly rotting away in the directors shed) of the band, mixed along side clips of British regional TV of the time.

This helps to place the emergence of The Clash/Punk in a context, set against the cultural revolution going on in a turbulent time in Britain (3 day weeks, power blackouts, strikes and racial tension/unrest etc).

Maybe its the old punk and Clash fan in me, or maybe I'm just a sentimental old sod, but I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary, I hope you will too.

NO ELVIS, BEATLES OR THE ROLLING STONES, THIS WAS 1977...

Unreal. Thanks heaps for this

Its pretty damn good isnt it? Ive watched it a couple of times.

Cant tell you just how much The Clash and Strummer, influenced me as a youth.

As an aside, my daughter (19yrs) who recently purchased a turntable and has been stocking up on Arctic Monkeys, Enter Shikari and others, came and asked me for my Clash vinyl (albums and singles), to listen to. Sometimes. Its the simple things in life that put a smile on your face :D.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back