The Clayton Oliver Statistical Analysis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acknowledging an existing thread discussing young players including Hipwood, Oliver etc I genuinely feel there can be a separate thread for Oliver who I think is pulling away from that pack.

The rationale is as follows and based off the stats presented

6th in average disposals/game
=8th in average tackles/game
6th in average contested disposals/game.
2nd in average effective disposals/game.
7th in average clearances/game.

Currently equal 2nd in AFLCA Coaches Award vote.
Currently equal 1st in 3AW PotY vote.

In his second season. Having only played 19 games.

What we are seeing from Oliver is actually unprecedented. I looked up Cripps in 2015 for context. Oliver is averaging better than him in every stat...clearances are the closest for Cripps.

There's legitimately only one comparison at this point in his career that I can find for what he is doing. Diesel Williams. But even then, Diesel's year one average is better than Oliver's...but Oliver is bringing in better numbers in year 2.

Last edited:

Cripps 2nd season was coming from a longer way back, broke his leg and only played 3 games in his first year.
Cripps last year wasn't putting these numbers up either.

There has never been another player in the league like Clayton Oliver. No precedent exists.

He is by far the greatest player ever to play the game. He's so good we don't even need to discuss him. We should never start another thread on the great Clayton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His scoreboard impact is certainly unprecedented for a player that gets it that often.

He rested forward a bit on the weekend seeing him set up a very nice goal for Petracca, would love to see him up there a bit more.

His main weapon at the moment is winning the ball in tight and clearing it perfectly to a player in a dangerous position. If he could add the ability to power out of congestion and finish the work off himself he would be the complete player.

The stats:

6th in average disposals/game
=8th in average tackles/game
6th in average contested disposals/game.
2nd in average effective disposals/game.
7th in average clearances/game.

Currently equal 2nd in AFLCA Coaches Award vote.
Currently equal 1st in 3AW PotY vote.

In his second season. Having only played 19 games.

What we are seeing from Oliver is actually unprecedented. I looked up Cripps in 2015 for context. Oliver is averaging better than him in every stat...clearances are the closest for Cripps.

There's legitimately only one comparison at this point in his career that I can find for what he is doing. Diesel Williams. But even then, Diesel's year one average is better than Oliver's...but Oliver is bringing in better numbers in year 2.
Future Brownlow medallist imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back