Autopsy The Stats Don’t Lie: VicBIAS By The Numbers - An Empirical Analysis

Do you agree there is inherent umpiring bias toward Vic based teams?

• I barrack for a Vic based team: Yes, always has been, always will be. Suck it up.

• I barrack for a Vic based team: Yes. It’s a disgrace. I demand a fairer comp.

• I barrack for a Vic based team: No. It’s a myth. Stats are the work of the devil.

• I barrack for a non-Vic based team: Lol. Tell me something I don’t know.

• I barrack for a non-Vic team: I like to cry about anything to do with the AFL because they are just

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets have a look at Collingwood 2023.

They get more games at the MCG than Port get to play at Adelaide Oval.

Port get on a plane 10 times for the other games Collingwood 6.

The other games Collingwood play, they sleep in their bed and drive to the end of Collins street, it's a fair advantage considering the GF is played on the G.

View attachment 1792939
Honestly the way some of you guys talk about travelling, you'd think the players would have had to walk interstate.

You completely missed my point btw. I only count 6 Collingwood home games in that graphic. Richmond only had 4.

Now compare that to the 11 your mob had.

Honestly the way some of you guys talk about travelling, you'd think the players would have had to walk interstate.

You completely missed my point btw. I only count 6 Collingwood home games in that graphic. Richmond only had 4.

Now compare that to the 11 your mob had.

Home games blah... carn, they are still playing at home, it's the same bloody venue.

Yeah, you think you deserve more than others?
Do you think that's fair?

If you want everything to be fair, well let's go the whole hog.

Adelaide come from the same state you do and they don't get the payouts you get, why should they lose money to keep you afloat?

Everybody gets money?

Swans in the 2012 grand final were lucky too. Hawks kicked 11.15.81.

Hawks were lucky to make the grand final. Crows could of beaten them

The 2012 Adelaide-Hawthorn prelim is the infamous Free Kick Hawthorn game.
The most blatant example of Vic Bias probably ever seen.
Adelaide had a Grand Final berth stolen by umpires.

This gentleman has broken down umpire bias in terms of home and away teams, in particular looking at the difference between Vic teams v non Vic teams both at home and away.

The stats speak for themselves.

Have posted a poll to get views, but in the interest of being true to the analysis have framed the poll on a similar basis.

Note your vote will be able to be seen publicly.
I liked the part where ol' mate held up the scrap paper divided into 4 different sections using a blue biro and then pointed to the numbers showing how the home team received 56% of frees in 59%, 56%, 72% and 79% of games.

Brilliant "empirical" analysis... 🤣

We are lucky to have such learned scholars of the game devoting their lives to worthwhile projects such as this. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.

I'm actually surprised Gill hasn't called an emergency meeting to discuss a plan of action and appoint old mate as the chairman of the sub-committee into VICBIAS.

The game is in crisis.

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!!

despair-hardcore.gif

Last edited:
Now let's look at an advantage Port get.
How many millions of $ do they get that other teams don't?

I don't know how we can stop Collingwood from playing teams like Richmond at the G when Richmond have the home ground, but it would be very easy for the AFL to stop the Port payments.

Yeah but you get more than others, that's not fair.

Seems you only want things to be fair that suits you.

My god it’s one thing to be ignorant but it’s another thing to just be plain stupid.

He gave you the list of league funding.

Port is mid ladder on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo do ok being the 2nd team in WA.

What's Ports excuse?
I’m fairly certain we charge more for our memberships. A luxury that is directly related to West Coast being so strong. Because you almost can’t get a seat to a west coast game we get quite a lot of extra memberships just so people can go to the footy. There are so many members that are west coast supporters that will barrack for the dockers until the derby and then they swap.

Additionally because of the west coast factor (and a new stadium for that matter) the prices of actual membership tickets are more than what ports are. This would put a dent (obviously it would not completely cover the difference) in the difference in terms of finances.

I’m fairly certain we charge more for our memberships. A luxury that is directly related to West Coast being so strong. Because you almost can’t get a seat to a west coast game we get quite a lot of extra memberships just so people can go to the footy. There are so many members that are west coast supporters that will barrack for the dockers until the derby and then they swap.

Additionally because of the west coast factor (and a new stadium for that matter) the prices of actual membership tickets are more than what ports are. This would put a dent (obviously it would not completely cover the difference) in the difference in terms of finances.
Then maybe Port need to up their memberships, I don't see why a few teams need to compensate them and the rest of the comp then has to put up with the unfair fixture so the AFL make more money to pay.

Then maybe Port need to up their memberships, I don't see why a few teams need to compensate them and the rest of the comp then has to put up with the unfair fixture so the AFL make more money to pay.
Basic supply and demand economics. If they were to raise their prices they would lose memberships meaning a reduced net profit. Therefore requiring more assistance, the balancing act is having them as high as possible without losing memberships.

The only reason the dockers can do it is due to the West Coast factor. To get an eagles membership you can have like a 5 year wait.

Basic supply and demand economics. If they were to raise their prices they would lose memberships meaning a reduced net profit. Therefore requiring more assistance, the balancing act is having them as high as possible without losing memberships.

The only reason the dockers can do it is due to the West Coast factor. To get an eagles membership you can have like a 5 year wait.
Well it seem we will just have to keep playing ANZAC clashes to pay their bills then.

Well it seem we will just have to keep playing ANZAC clashes to pay their bills then.
The attendance would be comparable if it was Hawthorn and Richmond etc. I’m not suggesting that Anzac Day at the g needs to be GWS vs Melbourne etc as yes that would be a significant drop off in finances.

Just saying that some of your fixturing lends itself to not requiring as much assistance. Etc if Carlton were given Anzac Day, queens birthday etc you would find that they would need less and yours would be more. Would it make up the entire difference no I don’t think so but I’m sure you can get my point.

Anzac Day just one example though.

The attendance would be comparable if it was Hawthorn and Richmond etc. I’m not suggesting that Anzac Day at the g needs to be GWS vs Melbourne etc as yes that would be a significant drop off in finances.

Just saying that some of your fixturing lends itself to not requiring as much assistance. Etc if Carlton were given Anzac Day, queens birthday etc you would find that they would need less and yours would be more. Would it make up the entire difference no I don’t think so but I’m sure you can get my point.

Anzac Day just one example though.
Well I suppose that would be up to the clubs themselves.

Just guessing but I doubt they would try take it off Collingwood and Essendon as they appreciate what effort they put in at the start to make it their own.

I could be wrong, but some clubs do respect what others have done.

Port are mid table for payments, why do you have us in the firing line and not the many other clubs? Particularly the vic clubs that are obviously excess to needs? The ones that have had to be propped up considerably on and off the field?
Who said the other clubs are ok?
You see a lot of people on here asking for North to be put down, well why not Port also and everyone else that leech?

If we really want a fair comp, let's be fair to everyone, not just who you think we should be fair to.

Who said the other clubs are ok?
You see a lot of people on here asking for North to be put down, well why not Port also and everyone else that leech?

If we really want a fair comp, let's be fair to everyone, not just who you think we should be fair to.

Lol what the actual *? What are you actually proposing? We cut half the league?

And ******* accusing port of leeching, lol you have no idea.

This place is worse off for having to listen to you. If only one person here is infected by this nonsensical s**t you’re sprouting then the world is worse off for you existing.

Quick question.

We offer a swap of places. Pies get the extra funding and port gets pies draw.

Would you take it? Would Collingwood take that?

Back