The "controversial" free kick to Gwilt against Mooney

Remove this Banner Ad

mooney-gwilt-free-kick_420-420x0.jpg

Mooney clearly in Gwilt's back even before he rides him to the ground.
Gwilt has already legally disposed of the ball.

Where is the controversy? Its clear cut.

Not like the multiple free kicks given to Geelong for high contact - see Selwood the ducker

Re: The "contraversial" free kick to Gwilt against Mooney

I dont see what was controversial about it. In the context of what it ment to the game, sure Geelong can be upset. But it was a blatant free kick and hats off to the ump for having the guts to call it. Cats can say all they want its in the rules you can not ride a player to the ground on top of his back.

So no Cam, the ump didnt cost you the game, you cost your team the game!

At the point at which the photo is taken, there is no problem with the tackle. If he had of taken him and rolled him, it's play on and Ling kicks his goal. If he had of let go of him and Gwilt fell over, I would still be happy with play on and the goal.

But no, Mooney chose to continue with the tackle taking Gwilt down face first. Gwilt does not propel himself forward or drop his knees as some have suggested as you can see his feet are already off the ground at the moment of the tackle. Mooney propels them both forward and he ends up dropping into Gwilt's back.

How many times have you seen a player lying on the ground trying to get the ball and a player lands on his back and it is called for a push in the back. All the time (even though it is pretty stupid, but that's not the point). Mooney took Gwilt to the ground and also landed on his back.

You may argue that there were other infringements that were let go during the last ten minutes and why just grab that one out of the box, but if they called every little infringement then the game would go for 5 hours.

This was a pretty blatant in the back and you can't fault the umpire for calling that one, no matter the state of the game at the particular moment.

If it's a free in the 15th minute mark of the 2nd quarter when you are 34 points up, then it's a free in the last minute of the game when you are 4 points down. Simple.

If Ling had've heard the whistle and didn't kick the goal, would we have the huge fuss?

The only argument I've heard is that it's 'not in the spirit of the game' and that the umps 'should have let the game flow'. Regardless though, it's still a free kick, situation aside, and the umpire absolutely made the right decision. One can argue the rule isn't great, but a rule's a rule, and the umpire absolutely made the right call by the letter of the law.

A stickler for the rules could also argue why at least one 50m penalty wasn't applied at the time as well.

Why didnt Gwilty get a 50 metre penalty for Ling kicking the ball after the whistle had blown and WHY wasnt Mooney given a 50 metre penalty for his clear and audible derision when he YELLED "You just cost us the Game" not once but a few times. The free was definately there and the fish lipped goose that is the Geelong coach is a whinging b itch. As Ross Lyon said on the radio today he never said a word re the Ball hitting the goal post last year. Suck it up Bomba you sook:):)

For the same reason Byrnes didn't get a 50 paid against him for storming over the mark and instead being told "Shan.. Shan, 5m back, the marks here!" atmosphere drowning out any clear call the umpires make so they give a bit of latitude with people not immediately hearing calls. You then have Schneiders 50 in which after a mark he lingered a bit too long in the grabbing and that's fine since everyone heard that the mark was paid so 50 could be given by the letter without some leeway.

As a semi stickler for the rules, hated (think it was a Stokes free) when a player gets tackled and propels his face into a blokes legs waiting for the ball to spill out or be dished off. Yes you are tackled, if from behind yes you are inherently pushed ina forward momentum, if this is in a contested situation then yes there will be guys still standing up to either receive the handpass or pick up the contested ball, this does not give you the right to headbutt a bloke in the shin and then go "hey ump, he caught me high!"

That is not in the spirit of the game because that, is bullshit created by players to get out of a contested situation, however by the rules it's prohibited contact since he was struck in the face by an opponent. Unfortunately for Mooney, the conditions and technique was such that he applied a tackle that would have been legit prior to the '00's but that afterwards is a 50/50 of 60/40 call for a push / hold after disposal.

s**t happens.

As for speculation Mooney wil be fined for being demonstrative though, the umps need to HTFU, no problem with anything Mooney said to the ump and if there had of been 50 for that I'd have been livid since I think it's a damn precious and absurd rule to begin with. It's not as if Mooney threatened to kill the blokes family or anything.

contrAversial....? :(

thanks - I knew it looked wrong but I couldn't recognise why - K

It was the correct decision and the umpires were in the spirit of the game by not giving away a 50m for Lings kick and Mooney being obviously upset.
You are right there. It would be very hard for the umpire to be sure that Ling heard the whistle with all the noise at the time.

Mooney is a little lucky though. The first time he says it, that's frustration and anger. The second time, that's making sure the umpire heard him. I'm sure after that the umpire motioned for him to cool it. The third and fourth time he said it, that is just petulance and disrespect for the umpires decision and a weaker willed umpire might have marched him 50 for that.

As it was though, probably in the spirit of the moment by the umpire.

The problem is the sometimes pay it, then they sometimes do not. 50/50 call. It was not a shocker call like quite a number of free kicks we have seen this season, including last night's match. Mark Thompson a very big sook in the press conference.

I can not believe the response from the media today. It was a blatant free kick and all I am reading is how the decision was harsh and cost Geelong the game. Just ignoring all the other decisions that went against us and the fact we deserved to win.

Cam Mooney is at fault for Geelong losing no one else. Clumsy tackle and a blatant free kick. Mark Thompson is also an arrogant twat and if they have no merrit whatsoever to complain.. It was there every day of the week and wish the media would focus on the amazing performance by us rather than that one ****ing decision. Which was correct! If it was in the middle of the ground everyone would say yep, it was there and on you go.

I can not believe the response from the media today. It was a blatant free kick and all I am reading is how the decision was harsh and cost Geelong the game. Just ignoring all the other decisions that went against us and the fact we deserved to win.

Cam Mooney is at fault for Geelong losing no one else. Clumsy tackle and a blatant free kick. Mark Thompson is also an arrogant twat and if they have no merrit whatsoever to complain.. It was there every day of the week and wish the media would focus on the amazing performance by us rather than that one ****ing decision. Which was correct! If it was in the middle of the ground everyone would say yep, it was there and on you go.

It was a free kick... and it wasnt the reason we lost! But I cant help but notice the bitterness towards the cats in this forum...!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a free kick... and it wasnt the reason we lost! But I cant help but notice the bitterness towards the cats in this forum...!
It's not so much bitterness as much as misguided respect. If that game had of been against Carlton we would be wondering why we didn't win by more.

We knew it was going to be a tough game against a team that has been in the last three GF's and we are ecstatic we got the win. And if Geelong want to be whingers then it makes it all the more sweeter.

I just find it disappointing how Mark Thompson has reacted. He would know it was a free kick but he acted as if he thought it cost them the game. By implying if he said what he was thinking he would get a big fine. And the way Mooney blasted the umpire repetitively saying "you cost us the game". No one mentioned the fact the Mooney claimed that goal when Dawson touched it. And then Ablett carries on when Gilbert runs him down.

The right thing to do, like Cameron Ling did, would have been to say they let themselves down in the first half and didnt deserve to win the game and the decision wasn't the reason for the loss.

Believe me I admire the cats as a footy side but I dont like the way some players and the coach conduct themselves at times. SJ does it a lot too its become habit I have noticed in the last year or 2.

I just find it disappointing how Mark Thompson has reacted. He would know it was a free kick but he acted as if he thought it cost them the game. By implying if he said what he was thinking he would get a big fine. And the way Mooney blasted the umpire repetitively saying "you cost us the game". No one mentioned the fact the Mooney claimed that goal when Dawson touched it. And then Ablett carries on when Gilbert runs him down.

The right thing to do, like Cameron Ling did, would have been to say they let themselves down in the first half and didnt deserve to win the game and the decision wasn't the reason for the loss.

Believe me I admire the cats as a footy side but I dont like the way some players and the coach conduct themselves at times. SJ does it a lot too its become habit I have noticed in the last year or 2.

Decisions near the siren will always stick in the mind. They can never be blamed entirely for a team winning or losing. Not for a second do I think we deserved to win that match, we almost stole it with a fantastic second half performance... but the first saw players such as Joel Corey and Joel Selwood go missing. (There must be something wrong with Selwood).

I think the bitterness from last years defeat makes you despise us. That's all well and good.. but just remember we may be down... but definitely not out!

Decisions near the siren will always stick in the mind. They can never be blamed entirely for a team winning or losing. Not for a second do I think we deserved to win that match, we almost stole it with a fantastic second half performance... but the first saw players such as Joel Corey and Joel Selwood go missing. (There must be something wrong with Selwood).

I think the bitterness from last years defeat makes you despise us. That's all well and good.. but just remember we may be down... but definitely not out!

Well its not like that for me at all. I just wish your coach would say the same things you have said and not give the media more ammo to write stories about how this win is tainted and the decision cost geelong. Also it really was disgusting Mooney saying to the ump "you cost us the game".

Well its not like that for me at all. I just wish your coach would say the same things you have said and not give the media more ammo to write stories about how this win is tainted and the decision cost geelong. Also it really was disgusting Mooney saying to the ump "you cost us the game".

I agree whole heartedly. As cocky as it sounds I guess they are not used to losing these games. Wrapped that Freo knocked out the hawks though, they worry me! Good luck

I think the bitterness from last years defeat makes you despise us.

I think most St Kilda people think we handed the GF to you with some really ordinary shots on goal, so not sure why we'd be bitter towards Geelong over that game.

There is another reason your club gives us the shits (aside from a really strong rivalry), but as Cat supporters have generally been pretty gracious in the post-match I'll hold my comments in reserve.

Many people are pretty annoyed with the media reporting, as the Saints were well on top before it bucketed down - yet they are trying to spin the "controvery" and "luckiness" of our win like we didn't earn it.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gallery-e6frf9o6-1225913963909?page=15

Put it into perspective, we won a rather thrilling game of footy and the day after you have the front and back page of a widely circulated paper in the Hun displaying the emotion of that win, yet every article describing the game tows the line that the cats were robbed by a contentious umpiring decision that was outside the spirit of the game.

You then come onto forums like BF and how many threads have you have seen regarding specific free kicks that were/were not paid?

It's not so much a bitterness against the cats as an entity, it's a bitterness that for the love of christ we win the game and the general public treat it as if we just went on some sort of massacre and the cats were the victim of the atrocity. Where's the respect from the greater footy public? Where's the respect for the spectacle the two teams put out there for said footy public? Where's the "divided opinion" in talking up both sides effort?

Instead, we're viewed as cheating mongrels, and that's where the bitterness is aimed towards.

Put it into perspective, we won a rather thrilling game of footy and the day after you have the front and back page of a widely circulated paper in the Hun displaying the emotion of that win, yet every article describing the game tows the line that the cats were robbed by a contentious umpiring decision that was outside the spirit of the game.

You then come onto forums like BF and how many threads have you have seen regarding specific free kicks that were/were not paid?

It's not so much a bitterness against the cats as an entity, it's a bitterness that for the love of christ we win the game and the general public treat it as if we just went on some sort of massacre and the cats were the victim of the atrocity. Where's the respect from the greater footy public? Where's the respect for the spectacle the two teams put out there for said footy public? Where's the "divided opinion" in talking up both sides effort?

Instead, we're viewed as cheating mongrels, and that's where the bitterness is aimed towards.

Fair point, must admit I missed it. You deserve your win enjoy it...we will fight it out next week while you enjoy ur week off and maybe maybe meet again in a GF. Good luck

Bitterness may also have something to do with the thread in the geelong forum "Have we just seen the worst umpiring decision in finals history?". Are they actually suggesting that the umpire should have ignored the rule and called play on just so Geelong could win the game? Then St Kilda would have been robbed.

I just honestly cant believe the reaction from the incident that in my view wasn't even controversial. If you want to blame anyone blame Cam Mooney. I am very disappointed and annoyed that this has ruled the headlines after what was an amazing effort by our boys!

or something very right about Lenny Hayes' defensive game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back