The end of the footy show?

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
THE Footy Show is taking a ratings beating, with viewers turning their back on the show and leaving Nine with its worst-ever Sydney figures.

Support for the 15-year-old show - which has long polarised rugby league fans but maintained a strong following with its mix of boofhead variety and NRL talk - has collapsed in the past six weeks.

The unexpected decline has been concentrated in the past three weeks, with the show struggling to top ABC1's political debate program Q&A - and being beaten by it in key periods.

While producers are at a loss to explain the sudden desertion, the show's founding executive producer believes the similar opinions of panel members Paul Vautin, Matthew Johns, Paul Harragon and Laurie Daley was turning the show "a little beige".

"They're very careful what they say about players and I understand why, but I don't think that necessarily helps out television," Gary Burns

And it's not just The Footy Show that's hurting - the figures coincide with a big drop in audience for Nine's Friday night NRL coverage, beaten by all but SBS programs in Sydney last week.

Terrible show. Needs a revamp, quick.

I occassionally catch the AFL show, and even though I don't really follow it, I find it much more entertaining .

Back in '05 & '06 it was clearly the best sports show IMO going around. Now it just doesn't have the same zing as it used to. No disrespect to Laurie Daley but the show has dropped since he replaced Sterlo.

It might take 12 months off and have a massive revamp but it'll be back in some form

Won't be boned, but it will definitely be the catalyst for a major overhaul.

Fatty will get the arse for sure and the show's format will drastically change for next year. Harrigan should go too... boring as batshit.

Wouldn't surprise me to see it structured more like the AFL footy show, with Vossy hosting it with Matty Johns and a group of different panelists each week.

Taped it every week last year and ended up watching it on Saturday mornings. Loved it.
haven't watched it at all this year because we threw our VCR out and I'm technically challenged and don't know how I can tape of a DVD.:eek:

Won't be boned, but it will definitely be the catalyst for a major overhaul.

Fatty will get the arse for sure and the show's format will drastically change for next year. Harrigan should go too... boring as batshit.

Wouldn't surprise me to see it structured more like the AFL footy show, with Vossy hosting it with Matty Johns and a group of different panelists each week.

They need more people on their who can have an opinion that doesn't always tow the party line. Blokes like Harrigan (boring) and Fatty (just stupid) are alright in small doses but never say anything controversial or have an opinion on something that differs from the status quo. Same with Laurie Daley.

Vossy could be that person, whilst not the same I enjoy his work on the Sunday Roast and Matty Johns is good. I reckon they should Sterlo back on too.

They need more people on their who can have an opinion that doesn't always tow the party line. Blokes like Harrigan (boring) and Fatty (just stupid) are alright in small doses but never say anything controversial or have an opinion on something that differs from the status quo. Same with Laurie Daley.

Vossy could be that person, whilst not the same I enjoy his work on the Sunday Roast and Matty Johns is good. I reckon they should Sterlo back on too.
Geyer was brought onto the show last year to do exactly that, but he failed because he is a tossbag.

Geyer was brought onto the show last year to do exactly that, but he failed because he is a tossbag.

yeah good idea in theory except Geyer is a dingbat (and a tossbag) and changes like the wind. Love him or hate him Gus Gould is a thinker on hte game of rugby league whereas with MG it seems like he turns up to work and thinks "what can I tee off about today" and sounds like a blithering idiot half the time

yeah good idea in theory except Geyer is a dingbat (and a tossbag) and changes like the wind. Love him or hate him Gus Gould is a thinker on hte game of rugby league whereas with MG it seems like he turns up to work and thinks "what can I tee off about today" and sounds like a blithering idiot half the time
Stayed up last night to watch it and see how much it has changed. I lasted 20 minutes and went to bed out of pure boredom, not because I was tired. utter rubbish. Slow, uninspiring.

Whos idea was it to bring on Laurie Daley? He's as boring as batshit. Worst possible candidate for the job and he gets it. Hes not funny!

Get rid of Chief. Cant stand him either.

Fatty can sometimes be annoying and I can imagine he would be 10 times more annoying for NSW fans. Maybe it is his day. But when you think about it, we need a good solid host, but him, cheif are good in small doses, just like Mario the Falcon and Robbo are.

Bring in Phil Gould. Most Queenslanders hate him but I love the bloke.

Maybe even bring in Joey or a recently retired player, get rid of the old farts.

And stop bringing on SBW and Mason every second week.

But dont get me wrong, I love the show, best part about of Thursdays and the end of the week.

Back in '05 & '06 it was clearly the best sports show IMO going around. Now it just doesn't have the same zing as it used to. No disrespect to Laurie Daley but the show has dropped since he replaced Sterlo.

It might take 12 months off and have a massive revamp but it'll be back in some form
I think it went downhill soon after the chief was the made the 3rd panelist. They were tossing up between him and Gus Gould and made the worst choice ever.

They did alright with Ray Hadley and Blocker on there and of course Mahatma Cote. Since those days it's constant toilet humour with scant bits of football mixed into the late parts of the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. It's there to target the boofhead population. There are only so many fart and penis jokes a normal person can handle.

Fatty's not the problem. He is actually an intellegent bloke. As is Matty Johns. Daley is plain boring and Chief is an idiot. They should go. I could not believe they had MG on it last year. :rolleyes: The bloke is an absolute dimwit. I can't think of a media or sporting personality who is thicker than him.

The other major problem they have is the players they have on the panel. SBW can't string two words together, Slater is not much better, A Johns has the maturity level of a 10 year old, Gasnier is so ****ing boring. The advantage of the AFL Footy Show is the players they have on the show can generally talk a bit and have a bit of personality. Most league players are as thick as treacle and end up giggling like a schoolgirl and spurting a number of cliches when they are on.

Warwick? That just sums up NSW ppl in general.

What it need's is a HUGE make over. An hour show soley devoted to football. Andrew Voss, Sterlo, Vautin, Matt Johns, Andrew Johns, Paul Harrigan, Phil Gould, Daley and yes MG make the panel.

Its pure 100% Rugby League. There to discuss the game, the big issues, results and upcoming games. Something a little unusual for Sydney but what the hard core fans have been wanting anyway. Leave the laughs for the Sunday Roast which can still continue.

Too much football and talk of football? It's losing ratings anyway, so why not try it.

be actually ok if they talked a little about football...

Instead they just invite guests on,tell them how good they are playing, then get extremely quick tips about the upcoming game and then have some dumb comedy segment or have a band play a song.

They rarely critise the game(unless mark geyer is on) and just gloss over any problems

Its goin down the hill quickly not unlike the NRL in general

Both the AFL and NRL Footy Shows are an absolute blight on the general population, and we should be welcoming their demise...

How an AFL fan can criticise the NRL footy show, but ignore the misogyny of Sam Newman seems hypocritcial in the extreme...

By the way, does Sam still do the "blackface" routine?

Wasn't that a side splitter...

Watched it properly for the first time last night and was pretty poor. I thought the AFL boys was a bogan show, but they are Harvard graduates compared to the guys on the NRL show. A tacky set, terrible material, boring interviews made for an ultimate snore fest. Sections like 'Thats Gold' were awkwardly unfunny.

Now, granted the AFL boys are not perfect and Sam has certainly over stepped the mark on numerous ocassions, the Show I feel is set out with better segments, there is more serious football talk(still not much though), most players offer something other than cliches when on the panel(Crawf, Fev, Richo..) and on the whole is more entertaining.

I know this might seem hypocrytical, but I geniunely think the AFL guys do a much better job on the whole. However I have watched it for years so am perhaps a little biased.

I know this might seem hypocrytical, but I geniunely think the AFL guys do a much better job on the whole. However I have watched it for years so am perhaps a little biased.

not biased....its gone so down hill over last few years its not funny (in every way) Johns tries to be funny every second he is on, have the same players (mason etc) every week..
it does make league players look like idiots..

the show needs to be entertaining but maybe actaully serious.

they promote the swans, wallabies and soccer its just a crazy all around show

Lowest ratings ever for the Sydney Footy Show in Sydney last night: 110,000. Given the Olympics are on so that would be expected, however the Melbourne footy show still rated 288,000 so it would be a real concern for Nine that the NRL version figures are so low.

corect me if i am right

this is how rating work..

someone asks a number of people what show(s) they watch because you cant ask all 21 Million the same question, you have to ask a SAMPLE, say 1000 people, if 500 say they watched the progam that equates to 11.5 Million people watching the program, but ask the "wrong" 1000 people (who btw watched the Tiddly Winks Grand Final last week, for which I did not know was on...or was it?) if the watch they Footy show and 1 person said they did then equates to 21 thousand people, a huge drop from 11.5 million - a drop of 11 479 000 viewers

corect me if i am right

this is how rating work..

someone asks a number of people what show(s) they watch because you cant ask all 21 Million the same question, you have to ask a SAMPLE, say 1000 people, if 500 say they watched the progam that equates to 11.5 Million people watching the program, but ask the "wrong" 1000 people (who btw watched the Tiddly Winks Grand Final last week, for which I did not know was on...or was it?) if the watch they Footy show and 1 person said they did then equates to 21 thousand people, a huge drop from 11.5 million - a drop of 11 479 000 viewers

Sorta.

They basically pick out a bunch of people at random, connect boxes to their TVs, and the viewers have to register what channel they're watching to the box every 15mins.

Once they get the date they extrapolate it by multiplying it by how many people live in the city, and then assume that's how many people watch the program.

As you can imagine, the system has its flaws as a true way of gauging ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back