Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star
Sep 12, 2008
Naracoorte
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Norwood, Memphis Grizzlies, Bengals
Idea pinched off the Sydney board. Use this thread to keep tabs on ex-Dog players around Australia.

At the moment I'm watching Nathan Eagleton and Kieran Mcguiness for Norwood playing Stephen Tiller's Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL qualifying final. Norwood winning comfortably.

Tiller off the field with a massive cut to his head, he was running around with blood all over his noggin.

Peter Street plays for St Joeys down here.

Former captain Laurie Sandilands lives in Clifton Springs down here. Well, he did a few years ago anyway. Not sure if he still does.

Has lived on the North Coast of NSW for a few years now.

Plenty of interviews with former players here: Link

Well there ya go. Used to be good having a chat to Laurie. He was my mates next door neighbour, and he was always happy to talk.

How have KMac and Eagle gone this year Gus?

Kmac has been consistently one of Norwood's key players for the past few years. More of the same this year. Above average SANFL player, and seems to be a real leader at the Parade. Was reasonably quiet today I thought, but he was playing across half back from what I saw and Norwood were well on top.

Eagle I haven't noticed that much to be honest. I used to be really into the SANFL until I got over injuries and started playing again myself this season. Today was the first time I sat down to watch the Redlegs all year. The commentators were implying that Eagle has been out of form lately. I heard he was even used as a tagger at some point this season. He kicked two lovely goals in the final quarter today- one where he got on the end of some good leadup play and another that was shades of a certain peroxide headed former Brisbane player vs Geelong a couple of years back. Brilliant left foot snap from deep in the left hand pocket.

I sort of wish that the thread title could be changed since "the former player" is the name that I use in the myriad of comments I have written and probably will continue to write on the H/S online site to refer to "the former player" we acquired from Brisbane.

Idea pinched off the Sydney board. Use this thread to keep tabs on ex-Dog players around Australia.

At the moment I'm watching Nathan Eagleton and Kieran Mcguiness for Norwood playing Stephen Tiller's Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL qualifying final. Norwood winning comfortably.

Tiller off the field with a massive cut to his head, he was running around with blood all over his noggin.

Those were the days Gus, Tillerific i say :D

Those were the days Gus, Tillerific i say :D

I saw him have two (terrible) kicks. Two turnovers. He's the same player.

Although the second kick he took his head was covered in blood and he was pretty out of it. For some reason the umpire didn't notice his head and bright yellow guernsey were soaked in his blood and didn't call for the blood rule until a minute or two after his kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Iilja doing these days, GLG?

How about the captain? or Barry Standfield?

Grgic is a big wig down at Shell, very smart cookie who actually had to take a decent pay cut to play. Saw him about 2-3 years ago and had a quick chat and he was a bit shocked that anyone actually remembered him.

The Captain Groenewegen is the groundsman at York Park and his son was close to getting a gig at AFL level and I think he is now running around in the TFL.

Not heard a single thing about the man from Fish Creek in a long time, guessing he just went to ground and returned to the real world. Would be kinda sad if he has a few sons that are guns as he only played 99 games for us.

Not heard a single thing about the man from Fish Creek in a long time, guessing he just went to ground and returned to the real world. Would be kinda sad if he has a few sons that are guns as he only played 99 games for us.

Living in Leongatha when I last spoke to him & was still involved at Fish Creek. See the link I posted earlier, there are interviews there with Laurie Sandilands, Les Bamblett, Geoff Jennings, Andrew Purser, Rick Kennedy, Jim Sewell, George Bissett & Doug Hawkins amongst others.

Not clicking THAT link TCD but im sure they are good interviews, I had some past interviews that id have to look around hard for cause well there not where they use to be. It was one of the things I really enjoyed, talking to past players bout the 'good old days

Interviewing Kennedy was my favourite, went over to his place in Toorak for Lunch and was only ment to be there for a 30 minute interview and ended up staying nearly 4 hours and having to leave my car behind!!! Great guy who the club has wanted to take on a role again on the board but felt that he had done enough years service and that it was time for fresh blood (this was in 05? 06?)

Richard Osborne coached Amateurs Div 3 side Monash Gryphons to the GF this year after winning the D4 flag last year in his first year of coaching. He nearly created a miracle as Monash would have been the first team to win it from 5th place but they were pipped by 72 points.

[Age 19/9/11]

Some fun. Lets remember those players from a bygone era and se what we can uncover.

Does anyone remember seeing Ian Dunstan play. I was pretty young when he played and didn't had the nuances of the game in my grasp until later. I remember him being a ball magnet but he is never really mentioned by doggy supporters.

He used to get a lot of possessions if I remember correctly and never understood why he was not liked more.

Any ideas.

Also remember Geoff Jennings had this habit of running back through a pack when he got possession and swinging onto his right.

Always wondered why the opposition didn't nail him - then one day bang Stan Magro hit with the grandstand. Tough little bugger got up though.

Grgic is a big wig down at Shell, very smart cookie who actually had to take a decent pay cut to play. Saw him about 2-3 years ago and had a quick chat and he was a bit shocked that anyone actually remembered him.

The Captain Groenewegen is the groundsman at York Park and his son was close to getting a gig at AFL level and I think he is now running around in the TFL.

Not quite true about Groenewegan, he is closer to the operations manager has very little to do with the turf side of things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back