The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also hard when the Broncos are almost at 36K members which is about 15K more than any other NRL club.
actually they had 26,216 members last year. alot of those members are from their social club a gigantic pokie venu. Brisbane has a lot of bandwagon fans, when a team gets a few wins the crowds turn up, but fall of rather quickly, think of the Road in the soccer, their crowds have more than halved

actually they had 26,216 members last year. alot of those members are from their social club a gigantic pokie venu. Brisbane has a lot of bandwagon fans, when a team gets a few wins the crowds turn up, but fall of rather quickly, think of the Road in the soccer, their crowds have more than halved

Leagues club memberships are different to ticketed memberships. The 26k are ticketed only.

when you join the broncos Leagues pokie club, they also give you a membership to the football club, they give you two memberships
No they don't. Just like how Lions@Springwood (our "leagues" club) members aren't Brisbane Lions members. Lions@Springwood have over 70000 members (to the best of my knowledge). The Brisbane Lions have 20078 members.

No they don't. Just like how Lions@Springwood (our "leagues" club) members aren't Brisbane Lions members. Lions@Springwood have over 70000 members (to the best of my knowledge). The Brisbane Lions have 20078 members.
well the wife went a work function at the broncos leagues & came back with leagues club membership and a broncos football club membership

when you join the broncos Leagues pokie club, they also give you a membership to the football club, they give you two memberships

It's the other way around. As part of your ticketed membership you get leagues club membership.

If it were your way around they would have about 90,000 members, Penrith Panthers would have 100,000+ members and even the Brisbane Lions would have 70,000+ members.

Went to the Crows game on Saturday, first time to the GABBA since I was knee-high. Pros:
  • full-strength beer where I was sitting.
  • Great views and atmosphere. Very close to the action.
  • Disproportionatly high number of female Lions supporters are hawt. Noticed a similar thing last year at the SCG for Swans supporters. There's your expansion argument right there.
Cons:
  • Ridiculous 'roar' plays over loudspeakers after Lions goals.
  • No kick to kick on the ground because of rain.

• Disproportionatly high number of female Lions supporters are hawt. Noticed a similar thing last year at the SCG for Swans supporters. There's your expansion argument right there.

May I ask what section you were sitting in? ;)

Went to the Crows game on Saturday, first time to the GABBA since I was knee-high. Pros:
  • full-strength beer where I was sitting.
  • Great views and atmosphere. Very close to the action.
Cons:

• Ridiculous 'roar' plays over loudspeakers after Lions goals.
  • No kick to kick on the ground because of rain.

How did you go about tickets? General admission or reserved?

May I ask what section you were sitting in? ;)

lol. I can't remember exactly (my mate bought the tickets), but it was gate 4, then something?, then section 17. They were outdoor box seats, sitting just above where they park the ...and I apologise if I get this term incorrect...'people with disability.' Most of the hot girls in Lions gear I saw were on the way in to the stadium (I didn't see much of anything leaving the stadum on account of the full strength beer). There was also an alright looking woman sitting in the GA area in front of us, but at half time she did some promo for a 7 travel show, so I don't think she was there for the footy, thus rendering her irrelevant. She was still by no means even close to the best looking gal in attendance. Hats off Brisbane.

lol. I can't remember exactly (my mate bought the tickets), but it was gate 4, then something?, then section 17. They were outdoor box seats, sitting just above where they park the ...and I apologise if I get this term incorrect...'people with disability.' Most of the hot girls in Lions gear I saw were on the way in to the stadium (I didn't see much of anything leaving the stadum on account of the full strength beer). There was also an alright looking woman sitting in the GA area in front of us, but at half time she did some promo for a 7 travel show, so I don't think she was there for the footy, thus rendering her irrelevant. She was still by no means even close to the best looking gal in attendance. Hats off Brisbane.
Reserved. I didn't buy the tickets myself so i'm not sure the exact category, but they were $105 if that helps narrow it down.
Definitely not Section 17. Outdoor box seats near gate 4 would mean Sections 1-5 (assuming you were on the bottom tier). I really should sit there sometime as I rate those seats to be one of the best view-wise (apart from BCG and coporate obviously).

Also Gold Coast have a lot of attractive female fans as well. Probably one of the many reasons why I haven't bought into this so-called Q-Clash "rivalry".

Looking to get tickets to Brisbane-Geelong later in the year.

Can some Gabba regulars help me out with the general admission seating situation? I notice there are quite a few bays and at ground level (not very common in this part of the world).

If you arrive early can you get a good seat here? Are there any catches?

Or is it worth splashing out to get a reserved seat to reduce the worry.

Thanks.

I'm sure you enjoyed the game :p

Actually surprised me that General Admission sold out and there was a much bigger crowd than I thought there would be, seeing it was a Sunday Twilight game (but it is school holidays up here).

Felt like 28k turned up while I was expecting around 18k. Haven't seen a crowd this big for a game that wasn't against Collingwood or Carlton in ages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of the 50-odd games I've been to at the Gabba, this would have to top the list. Round 5, 2008 was a super win from my perspective, but this was simply unbelievable. Brisbane looked spent in that 3rd quarter, then came from absolutely nowhere. They were so clean in possession when it counted, and did it for Black which was spectacular. Hats off to the Brisbane crowd, a terrific atmosphere particularly in that final term. A match I will never forget.

Out of the 50-odd games I've been to at the Gabba, this would have to top the list. Round 5, 2008 was a super win from my perspective, but this was simply unbelievable. Brisbane looked spent in that 3rd quarter, then came from absolutely nowhere. They were so clean in possession when it counted, and did it for Black which was spectacular. Hats off to the Brisbane crowd, a terrific atmosphere particularly in that final term. A match I will never forget.

You were at the game? What section were you in?

I still can't believe we won. When Geelong were 50+ up I was expecting them to run away with it.

Also today changed my mind about Sunday Twilight games :p (for another thread)

Actually surprised me that General Admission sold out and there was a much bigger crowd than I thought there would be, seeing it was a Sunday Twilight game (but it is school holidays up here).

Felt like 28k turned up while I was expecting around 18k. Haven't seen a crowd this big for a game that wasn't against Collingwood or Carlton in ages.

Heaps of British Lions fans in my section.

Heaps of British Lions fans in my section.

I saw some as well, although I think they only added 100-200 to the crowd at most though.

The club should have promoted that more. Get the touring British & Irish Lions fans to watch a new sport and support the "other" Lions.

Another factor to the unexpected big crowd I think was the fact that it was our first home game in over 3 weeks along with the fact we were playing Geelong (I know a friend who went purely because we were playing Geelong)

It's not often that with half an hour left in a game you hope and expect to win by 12 goals, only to end up losing the match.

Even with 15 minutes to go the Geelong supporting Englishman behind me was telling his two Irish friends that this had been quite a poor match and it never hit great heights.

It was just a nothing game for 90% of its duration. Obviously it had an unprecedented and exciting finish.

In terms of the ground, I sat level 1 on centre wing on the Vulture Street side. I was one bay to the right of the bench, which impeded my view of about a quarter of the ground. Those benches do not even get used and means half the seats behind them are not sold. Why do they not scrap them or put them below ground? Terrible.

I sit in section 76 got up to my sit and there was heaps of empty sits than 10 minutes into the first quarter a lot of people stared filling up the empty sits in section 74 75 76 a few of them were Britsh Irish Lions fans.

Also the Crowd in the last qtr chanting was the loudest I have heard the Gabba crowd in a while.

It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years since they got rid of the greyhound track. The only thing I remember about it (as a kid at the cricket) was watching overzealous security guards guarding entry onto it's surface like they were trying to protect the crown jewels. I'm sure some kids genuinely feared for their life when they tried to retrieve a wayward ball they had been playing with in the crowd.

I can't even find any decent pictures of it. However, I did find a race.

Opposition cheer squad sits on the east side.

North side is the BCG members section.

Only sold out once in the past few years (the Fevola v Carlton game).

The Collingwood match on a Friday night in the same season was a sellout too from memory.

are there any planned upgrades to the gabba in the future? with the upgrades to AO SCG the new perth stadium the Gabba could be left far behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back