news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great night at domination 14 tonight. Some absolute wars, some ko's and emerging talent. Anybody follow muay thai

What a night of fights. I thought it was a great card tbh. Great wins by the 2 new champs.

He smashed it didn't hey. Too much pressure. I don't think Dana will be too happy. Showtime is easier to market and I think the Aldo vs Pettis fight is no longer (although it could be ex-champ vs ex-champ ;))
I thought that for the previous fight also, Joanna might be a little less promo friendly due to not being America's little cookie monster blah blah blah. If nothing else it'll light another fire in UFC Europe promotion though. Stoked she won it, Carla never really looked like champ material, just someone keeping the belt warm for an elite talent with more than 1 string to her bow. I can't stand Carla, but jeezus.. I was feeling sorry for her in there, she got absolutely toweled up....

Yeah, the UFC will be super unhappy that Pettis lost his belt. To me it seemed like the fight was made as a stay busy fight and then likely sets up a Khabib fight. That's what I thought was going to happen and I think the UFC expected that too. RDA spoiled their plans. Although, another Brazilian champion isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't think RDA becomes a big draw in the US though and Brazil's probably unlikely too. It took Anderson kicking Belfort's head off to make him really popular there and Aldo doesn't appear too be very popular there either.

I think the UFC would be happy Esparza lost. She wouldn't have brought in any interest because of the combination of her fighting style, personality and even her looks sadly (because unfortunately that matters a lot for women fighters). I don't think the strawweight division will be a PPV draw any time soon, so having a European champion will be good for the UFC. They've got their 1st show in Poland, where Jedrzejczyk's from, very soon. It'll help the market there much more than an Esparza reign would help any market.

What's the deal with the Strawweight girls not being able to get booked for fights? Is the UFC trying to keen their division fights to a minimum? A few of them seem pretty upset at the inability to get booked and are fed up with more or less just sitting on the sidelines? Sounds to me like the more divisions they add and fighters the UFC sign - the longer the cards are going to need to gradually get to keep their fighters busy. ie. 15 fights per card as standard.

What's the deal with the Strawweight girls not being able to get booked for fights? Is the UFC trying to keen their division fights to a minimum? A few of them seem pretty upset at the inability to get booked and are fed up with more or less just sitting on the sidelines? Sounds to me like the more divisions they add and fighters the UFC sign - the longer the cards are going to need to gradually get to keep their fighters busy. ie. 15 fights per card as standard.

Yeah, it's been a bit strange. I know Calderwood had an issue a while back and when she asked she was told something along the lines that with her record, it was hard to find a match for her from the other ladies under contract. I'm hoping it'll be solved by absorbing the rest of Invicta's 115lb class. There are still some talented names over there who can flesh out the top 10 and potentially provide a challenge (I'm looking at you Miss Grasso) for Joanna who looked incredible yesterday.

Although, another Brazilian champion isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't think RDA becomes a big draw in the US though and Brazil's probably unlikely too. It took Anderson kicking Belfort's head off to make him really popular there and Aldo doesn't appear too be very popular there either.

I doubt the bolded very much. The Brazilian crowds are incredibly supportive of their fighters and having a champ at arguably the toughest weight class in the UFC will no doubt see them get behind their man. I've been a fan of his for a while now and I think it he continues to fight the way he has in his last two outings, he'll get a solid following behind him.

I'm still in shock over how badly RDA dominated Pettis. It was just the sheer pace and pressure that he kept up for 5 rounds which was absolutely astonishing. Every take down he wanted, he got. RDA made it seem like Showtime had no business being in the same octagon as him.

I'm still in shock over how badly RDA dominated Pettis. It was just the sheer pace and pressure that he kept up for 5 rounds which was absolutely astonishing. Every take down he wanted, he got. RDA made it seem like Showtime had no business being in the same octagon as him.
all with a blown out mcl.. beast!

I reckon melendez exposed the weakness of pettis. He doesnt like being backd up, RDA just did it better

In the last 12 or so months we have a new champ at Womens SW, BW, LW, WW.

We've been so used to long reigning champs & like Silva, GSP & BJ/Edgar/Bendo all having 3 successful defenses each to a lesser degree. Looks like those 3 divisions have a log jam at the top although Weidman looks good at the moment but saying that I didn't think RDA would demolish Pettis either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11068857_10152775894658527_432152003_n.jpg

That ref had no idea what he was looking at in the Dober fight. How he's a referee with seemingly no understanding of submissions is baffling. It looked like he thought Dober had gone out (he clearly wouldn't have as his neck was way too open). Then he obviously tells Buffer that Dober tapped (he clearly didn't).

Great fight between Burns and Cowboy. Burns is a great grappler and it really showed in that last round. Keeping the omoplata locked on no matter which way they rolled and then transitioning back to mount was awesome. Knew he needed a finish, so went for armbars and triangles from there and eventually locked on the armbar.

The game's passed Baszler by. Nunes generally comes out of the gate and destroys you or fades as the fight goes along. Thought she'd destroy Baszler and she did.

Thought Fili would KO Pepey, but Pepey's grappling was too good. Disappointing result for me as there's a ceiling for Pepey that he won't get past because of his chin. Sergio Pettis from last week has similar issues. He's been dropped in some of his UFC fights and then he got KO'd at UFC 185. His chin ain't getting any better.

What multis have you gone with?

Got a few going actually

1) Pepey, Burns, Nunes, Santos, Silva, Laflair @5.23
2) Pepey, Burns, Nunes, Martin, Koscheck, Miai @13.80
3) Santos, Koscheck, Miai @18.46

Had another 2 on but the Pepey win halted that. Only got 2-3 bucks on each one. Odds are pretty damm good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back