news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed fight night 76, must admit there wasn't really anyone on the card that I wanted to see. Saw the highlights of Smolka v Holohan and I feel like bit of an idiot for missing it.

I did see how he threw a handbag at Madadi, that was gold.

Next two ppv's are looking awesome. 193 because it's in Melbourne but 194.... That is so stacked.

:mad::mad::mad:

FFS.

I give up ever expecting anything to become of this guy.

It's frustrating. He handled the new champ pretty convincingly not all that long ago and there are a number of great fights out there for him, the guy just can't stay injury free! No doubt Dana will start up about AKA being the problem again.

I think it has more to do with
his mentality in rehab, ie// going to hard to soon than it does the camp his in. hopefully it's not the same knee, but if it is, he will be at fault..

His knees are fine, it's his ribs that he's hurt.

Poor Khabib can't catch a break. It's a shame to see fighters who have an immense amount of talent constantly held back by injuries.

Could you imagine what sort of reign Cruz would have had? man I love watching that guy.

Aside from TUF, what sort of UFC/MMA shows do you guys watch?

Personally I just do the rounds on the shows available on Foxtel: UFC Fight Week, UFC Tonight and UFC Ultimate Insider. Not sure if I'm missing anything.

Cant stand ufc fight week. I like to watch the embedded series to upcoming fights, ufc tonight when its on and im home.

I wonder what Pettis will say considering how much Khabib was chirping. I reckon Ferguson had a massive chance of beating him, he's much better on his feet and can defend a takedown. Would think a rib would be okay given rest, not sure why he is saying he may never come back.

I don't really watch any of the UFC made shows apart from the embedded series. I prefer just following MMA news through the ug and mmafighting. Love listening to interviews on the mma hour if any fighter I follow closely is on. Robin Black's breakdowns are always eye opening. Don't mind fightland at all either, the articles Jack Slack comes up with are amazing.

I enjoy watching Bellator cards, most UFC PPV's and fight nights.

JoJo Calderwood out v PVZ. Rose Namajunas is in. Should be a great fight, not sure if it's the best matchup for Rose though as she doesn't do too well against pressure fighters.

I wonder what Pettis will say considering how much Khabib was chirping. I reckon Ferguson had a massive chance of beating him, he's much better on his feet and can defend a takedown. Would think a rib would be okay given rest, not sure why he is saying he may never come back.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/what-h...is-had-to-ride-a-bus-with-khabib-nurmagomedov

Sounds like there's not too much bad blood between Pettis and Khabib anymore, so I doubt Pettis says anything.

Really disappointed that Ferguson doesn't get a shot at Khabib, but I wouldn't have though he was a massive chance of winning. He definitely had a chance to pull off something spectacular, particularly considering how long Khabib has been out for, but it was only a few fights ago that Ferguson got a decision against Castillo when he was badly outgrappled. I doubt he would have been able to keep it stading long enough to get the win and I also doubt his BJJ would be good enough to trap Khabib. It would have been a great fight to watch though as Tony goes for it everywhere, so there would likely have been some amazing scrambles and exchanges during the fight.

As disappointed as I am that the fight has fallen though, I do love the Barboza match up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/what-h...is-had-to-ride-a-bus-with-khabib-nurmagomedov

Sounds like there's not too much bad blood between Pettis and Khabib anymore, so I doubt Pettis says anything.

Really disappointed that Ferguson doesn't get a shot at Khabib, but I wouldn't have though he was a massive chance of winning. He definitely had a chance to pull off something spectacular, particularly considering how long Khabib has been out for, but it was only a few fights ago that Ferguson got a decision against Castillo when he was badly outgrappled. I doubt he would have been able to keep it stading long enough to get the win and I also doubt his BJJ would be good enough to trap Khabib. It would have been a great fight to watch though as Tony goes for it everywhere, so there would likely have been some amazing scrambles and exchanges during the fight.

As disappointed as I am that the fight has fallen though, I do love the Barboza match up.

Good to know. I don't mind a bit of back and forth (Dc v Jones on twitter is pretty funny) but injury trash talk is just a bit rubbish.

Ferguson tends to improve every fight. He absolutely tooled Josh Thomson in his last fight. His bjj is insane, he's very aggressive with his subs. I disagree that his bjj isn't good enough to trap a Khabib with ring rust.

Either way, it's a different fight with Barboza as his new opponent. I think Barboza has more power. Ferguson would want to keep pressure up and close the distance, Barboza doesn't have great hands and does not do too well against pressure. Should be a crazy fight.

Get on to the fight companions Rogan does when he's not commentating, they're awesome.

Only just realised that Thomas Almeida is fighting this weekend. Almeida/Birchak is going to be amazingly fun for as long as it lasts. The other fight on the card that really interests me is Burns/Magomedov. Don't like the main event though. I expect Belfort to blast Henderson out of there again like he did last time.

Bellator have some good fights too. Pitbull/Straus 3 is a good fight. Brooks/Held is good too, but I think Brooks is way too good and will beat Held quite easily. Brooks is probably the best LW outside the UFC. Actually now that I think about it, he's clearly the best in Bellator and the only fighter in another organisation that you could make a case for is Gaethje. Chandler on the card too, but he probably runs through Rickels again.

Don't blame Woodley for not wanting to fight Gastelum again. He just fought Gastelum in a fight that probably shouldn't have gone ahead after Gastelum was rushed to the hospital. Then the Hendricks fight didn't happen. Probably wants to fight someone that at least appears to have figured out how to cut weight properly.

Sucks that Khabib got hurt again. Him saying he might not fight again is probably just because he's disappointed. Selfishly, I'd love to see him fight again, but if he can make good money doing something where he doesn't need to put his health on the line, then good for him and it'd be a smart decision to do that instead.

In case anyone hasn't seen these UFC discipline shirts: http://www.ufcstore.com/league/MMA/team/UFC/search/ufc_discipline/genderagegroup/Mens

The best/worst one has to be the jiu-jitsu one. I have no idea what's meant to be going on.

thumb.aspx

Wondering what everyone thinks about VanZant/Namajunas. I think it's a better fight now as I think VanZant would be able to beat Calderwood quite comfortably. The new fight's tougher to pick, but I think VanZant still wins it.

Wow, that shirt is terrible.... no idea how that is supposed to signify jiu-jitsu!

Really like Namajunas replacing Calderwood. Jojo hasn't lived up to the early hype on he career and I get the feeling she would have been beaten in a similar manner to Felice. Rose has a dangerous sub game and is constantly trying new things on the feet. I get the feeling Paige will still win, but give Rose a decent shot at an upset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back