Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know its not Tim's game, but did anybody at the club watch what Grundy did to Gawn last week and not think to tell Tim it would be ludicrous to try out leap Gawn? Sacrifice your game and just bash into him.

Glad we picked VDM & McNeil for their run and pressure, neither finished the game in the top 5 for any of the tracker stats and combined for 21 PA & 2 tackles. CD had 12 & 2 alone in his quarter

No one can tell me our coach isn’t an actual idiot at this point, leaving out CD & Macrae * me what a rort. Biggest fraud in footy

Just trawled through 17 pages of review. Can we stop with the we lost because Bevo loves his b grade, lost at selection, this player should never play again blah blah blah.

How about that fact that most of our best players did not show up at all. Forget the lesser likes, each team has players who fill the 16 to 23 spots on game day. Yet our best players were soundly beaten by Melbourne best players. We just don't cover the big MCG well at all, we didn't work anywhere near as hard as Melbourne.

Most disappointing aspect for me was the same old safe game plan around the boundry. No one wanted to take the game on. How about a chip inboard, through the middle for a change.

I expect a response this week, its a long season and its only 1 game, yet the signs were bad. Maybe the Bevo message is stale.

I haven't thrown the towel in yet.

Yesterday the players clearly didn't have the required level of intensity (this was the biggest factor in this loss).

Why? I reckon because of the AFL's F'king Zero round. Playing a game for real points would recalibrate the understanding of the intensity required.

Next week will be an absolute acid test for the club. If I'm right we should see a very different Doggies side.

5 new debutants.
How many new coaches?
Same head coach.
Same game plan.
Same results.

The players seem to lack energy or the will to run.
Maybe they too see that Bevo's cooked and realise that they won't get anywhere with this bloke.

I know its not Tim's game, but did anybody at the club watch what Grundy did to Gawn last week and not think to tell Tim it would be ludicrous to try out leap Gawn? Sacrifice your game and just bash into him.
Gawn lubed up and took English to pain town.

I’ve never seen a ruck lope around with less attention. *er popped up everywhere and sent me home at halftime. Kudos to him - he would have been giggling into his well earned beer on Sunday night.

Annoying that Harmes is a really good tagging and we didn't even use him for that role
I expected Harmes to go straight to Olliver (or Petracca), get in his face and antagonize him all day.

One minute in, it dawned on me: we don't tag ☹

Melbourne would've known that, of course. Laughing at us, they are...

Last edited:
I haven't thrown the towel in yet.

Yesterday the players clearly didn't have the required level of intensity (this was the biggest factor in this loss).

Why? I reckon because of the AFL's F'king Zero round. Playing a game for real points would recalibrate the understanding of the intensity required.

Next week will be an absolute acid test for the club. If I'm right we should see a very different Doggies side.
It’s just rubbish to blame the extra round for the lack of energy yesterday. They’ve had a full preseason, they been embarrassed by Melbourne annually since 2021. If that isn’t enough to get them up to full speed in round 1 we should just shut up shop now and look up ski lodges for the winter.

A good coach would run play by play and identity key players we can target ball movement through specific to that team. Clearly Chris Scott has done this to us. He’s announced it far and wide that our midfield is talented but has identified areas that are exploited by his team.

Our bloke refused to review the 2021 grand final as he wanted to move on. He’s moved on all right. He’s moved onto to rehashing the same crap for 3 years.

I can’t blame the players, I can’t actually even blame Bevo. Kylie and Co have planted their flag behind a coach who has overstayed and is now too stubbon to leave. It’s unjustifiable and they should all be taken out with the trash at seasons end. If this club has ever needed a coupe to retake the leadership it’s this year. Someone get Peter Gordon’s number and a bunch of pitchforks and torches and let’s go!!!!!!

Felt like Coffield and Buku held their own yesterday

It's very hard to judge their performances when our midfield allow Dees clean ball movement inside 50

Last edited:
That's bullshit. Buku has never been a CHB and to ask him to succeed on someone 11cm taller than him is ludicrous. He's not Tom Stewart or James Sicily.

Our hands were tied yesterday given JOD wasn't deemed fit enough, Gardner is injured and Keath is underdone. Buku is a third tall and should be played in that role moving forward accordingly. Anyone who knows football would understand that.
Are you kidding?

That attitude would effectively stamp Baku’s delisting.

Reason: can’t play against taller opponents.

Opposition forward lines are constantly changing. If he can’t play effectively against guys like Brown in a pinch, then he might not get the chance to play at all.

He needs to develop such capabilities if he is to grasp the opportunity to establish himself at AFL level.

Just trawled through 17 pages of review. Can we stop with the we lost because Bevo loves his b grade, lost at selection, this player should never play again blah blah blah.

How about that fact that most of our best players did not show up at all. Forget the lesser likes, each team has players who fill the 16 to 23 spots on game day. Yet our best players were soundly beaten by Melbourne best players. We just don't cover the big MCG well at all, we didn't work anywhere near as hard as Melbourne.

Most disappointing aspect for me was the same old safe game plan around the boundry. No one wanted to take the game on. How about a chip inboard, through the middle for a change.

I expect a response this week, its a long season and its only 1 game, yet the signs were bad. Maybe the Bevo message is stale.

I’m not 100% but pretty sure 3 of McNeil’s direct errors lead to Melbourne goals.

Are you kidding?

Opposition forward lines are constantly changing. If he can’t play effectively against guys like Brown in a pinch, then he might not get the chance to play at all.

He needs to develop such capabilities if he is to grasp the opportunity to establish himself at AFL level.
You know Lever can't play one on one.
His coach plays him in a way to maximise his strengths and minimise his weaknesses.
It's what good coaches do. And I don't think Goodwin is that good a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We weren’t horrendous? Did you not watch us let a flattering three goal game blow out to 45 points?
It’s all a matter of perspective.

Being as close as we were before the late blowout, in spite of so many things going wrong, suggests there was also fair number of things going right.

Are you kidding?

He didn't play on Brown in a pinch, it was always likely he would match up on Brown.

Is one of the capabilities he should develop growing 11cm?

He's not a KPD, never will be.

Admittedly Beveridge is not the only one expecting flankers/third talls to play 'tall'... Craig Ellis, Brad Nicholson, Steve Kretiuk, Ryan Hargrave, Rohan Smith. It's the Bulldogs way.

Only Gilbee was able to consistently outpointed taller opponents, but that was a differently coached defence, with Lake and Morris at their peak, in support.

Some people still wonder how we won the flag in 2016 and a large part of it was our leaders.

It was the likes of Morris, Picken and Boyd who would walk through walls. Morris played the finals with a broken back for crying out loud.

Anyone think any of our current team has that in them? They played with spirit and heart like they wouldn't be denied. With our current group I see a CBA attitude. Missing easy set shots, not defending, let the opponents dominate and walk all over you approach. Credibility has been or is being lost at a rapid rate and rightly so.

After being hammered two years in a row after the GF by Melbourne there was a chance to make a stand yesterday. We didn't and instead folded up and meekly surrendered in the end. Pathetic display.

No doubt Harmes would have provided intel along the lines of: “The Dees know the dogs will fold under pressure”, and yet they still didn’t stand up for themselves or each other.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You know Lever can't play one on one.
His coach plays him in a way to maximise his strengths and minimise his weaknesses.
It's what good coaches do. And I don't think Goodwin is that good a coach.

Stop kidding yourself.

If Lever were that limited he would get exposed regularly.

He doesn’t because he isn’t.

It’s just rubbish to blame the extra round for the lack of energy yesterday. They’ve had a full preseason, they been embarrassed by Melbourne annually since 2021. If that isn’t enough to get them up to full speed in round 1 we should just shut up shop now and look up ski lodges for the winter.

A good coach would run play by play and identity key players we can target ball movement through specific to that team. Clearly Chris Scott has done this to us. He’s announced it far and wide that our midfield is talented but has identified areas that are exploited by his team.

Our bloke refused to review the 2021 grand final as he wanted to move on. He’s moved on all right. He’s moved onto to rehashing the same crap for 3 years.

I can’t blame the players, I can’t actually even blame Bevo. Kylie and Co have planted their flag behind a coach who has overstayed and is now too stubbon to leave. It’s unjustifiable and they should all be taken out with the trash at seasons end. If this club has ever needed a coupe to retake the leadership it’s this year. Someone get Peter Gordon’s number and a bunch of pitchforks and torches and let’s go!!!!!!
I agree that the team was poorly prepared for its first game (for me this is the most galling part - I was expecting so much more from the off-field changes).

I just think that the extra few percent of intensity has to come from the players. All I will say is there is absolutely no excuse next week.

I don't often agree with David King but he is spot on about Naughton playing CHB. I agree we can't win/play finals until he does.

Felt like Coffield and Buku held their own yesterday

It's very hard to judge their performances when our midfield allow Dees clean ball movement inside 50
Yep we were genuinely cut to pieces by a team who struggle to do this, and zero workrate from our midfield to get back to help out. Can’t blame a single defender we had on the ground yesterday

Are you kidding?

But that's just how it is. Buku isn't a taller or stronger player than what he is. Physical attributes make up a portion of the value that you are as a player. It's not an attitude, it's the reality of the components of what makes a good footy player, well, good.

Irrespective of how Buku approached the game, his intent, his mentality, his execution of skill, etc., he was fundamentally too light for Brown. He was unable to use core strength and weight to hold positions in marking contests. We can look at the video replays if you want but I think everyone on this board (even those who abuse me!) can agree that's what happened on the field.

Of course it would stamp his delisting. But that's just how it is - the world is filled with talented six-foot-one basketballers who never made it to the NBA because they're six-foot-one. Doesn't mean that they're bad basketball players, just that they're six-foot-one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back