Autopsy The good, the bad and the oh dear v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The depressing part was that we improved our overall effort, individually did a good job in the backline and generally worked our backsides off against an average side and still lost by 38.

As Viney said during the Q&A, it's an elite competition where every single club is now professional enough in their planning and approach and the will to win, meaning that you simply won't win any game by default. Every win has to be absolutely earned and so far we just haven't been able to match the opposition's will to win.

Bucks raised the issue of no one getting round Archer after he gave away that 50 and looked devastated.

This is incredibly poor and i saw something similar when we got belted by the Hawks and Durrs and Colby did efforts which warranted the players getting to them and pumping them up, but it was not forthcoming.

Of all the issues we are dealing with at the moment, this is probably what annoys me the most and it simply has to change. Our older guys are all worried about themselves and not thinking team first and the coaches should be highlighting this and subsequently hammering them.

It's completely in our control and when we are putting out the youngest team in 33 years, the kids need to feel supported.

I saw more of them getting around each other in the game this week. They got around Jacko when he laid a big tackle or when Corr or Comben won some contests. I think Shiels being there might have actually helped this as well.
They are working on it, there's just a bit of self-preservation mode going on at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back