The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

There was today, though unofficially. Hawthorn. It was at their home ground.

That's got nothing to do with it. West Coast were the higher seeded team, having finished 2nd. Hawthorn were 3rd, and stayed 3rd seed, after having lost to West Coast in week one.

The match, like I said, for contractual, historical, and ground capacity reasons is always at the MCG. But the match certainly didn't DESERVE to be at the MCG today. That can't really be argued against.

I'm not arguing moving the Grand Final away from the MCG. I'm saying, that the match on merit deserved to be played in Perth. West Coast clearly were treated unfairly through no fault of their own.

It would be the same as playing a West Coast-Hawthorn Grand Final at Subicao if Hawthorn were minor-premiers. It's no different.
I trust you'll factor all this into consideration when you add 2015 to your rankings of every premiership side including about 80 you never saw.

I trust you'll factor all this into consideration when you add 2015 to your rankings of every premiership side including about 80 you never saw.

No. I take none of it into consideration. None of this is Hawthorn's fault. They can only play and win where they are told to.

I'm simply stating, that on merit, the match deserved to be played at West Coast's home ground. That's irrespective of contractual, historical and ground capacity reasons, all of which are legitimate reasons for playing the match at the MCG. But it certainly didn't "deserve" to be there, on a pure merit based argument.

No. I take none of it into consideration. None of this is Hawthorn's fault. They can only play and win where they are told to.

I'm simply stating, that on merit, the match deserved to be played at West Coast's home ground. That's irrespective of contractual, historical and ground capacity reasons, all of which are legitimate reasons for playing the match at the MCG. But it certainly didn't "deserve" to be there, on a pure merit based argument.
Life's not fair.

Didnt west coast only get allocated 15000 seats today? As the highest ranked team it shouldve been played at subiaco to accommodate their supporters.
Yep, because Grand Finals are organised a week out.

Moron.

When Perth has an 80k+ stadium it can be held there. Same for Adelaide. Until your minnow sporting state builds it, they won't come.

"Hey boss, can I potentially have next Friday off so that I can potentially fly somewhere across the country? Not sure where yet because it depends on the results of games that haven't happened yet, but I'm sure all the hotels in city I don't know where it is yet will still all be available, right? Oh, OK, you might need me to be here because the other guy might be late because of potential traffic concerns from a Grand Final Parade that may or may not actually be happening? I guess that makes sense."

Tradition has literally nothing to do with this. It's about practcality and venue size. The expanded Burswood could mmmmmmaybe do it at a stretch, but it would have to be decided months in advance, not because "it's neutral" or "West Coast was higher on the ladder." Adelaide Oval and the Gabba? You're having a lend of yourself.

So what? Your team shouldve finished higher then. We should be accommodating the team that finished higher, not victorians.

It's pointless comparing the grand final with the champions league final as it is spread around Europe with many top class stadiums able to host it, similar to the super bowl.

The last 3 finals, an MCG tenant vs a non MCG tenant has resulted in 3 comfortable wins to the team that has played at the MCG the most. That is not equalisation.
???

Hawthorn def West Coast
Hawthorn def Adelaide
Richmond def by North Melbourne

?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every year a non Victorian team plays in the gf this happens.

The argument is pointless.

It's about money and power and the vfl clubs still outnumber the non vfl clubs.

It's stupid and most professional leagues in the world would laugh at us for it.

Two years ago you couldn't even have Subi cleared out for a semi final.

Good luck arranging a Grand Final in a week.
Irrelevant.

It wouldnt be that hard, get rid of the shit pre game entertainment. Each major city has great local music that everone would appreciate more than ellie goulding and bryan adams anyway.

Irrelevant.

It wouldnt be that hard, get rid of the shit pre game entertainment. Each major city has great local music that everone would appreciate more than ellie goulding and bryan adams anyway.
Hahahahahaha.

Yeah, I''d much rather go watch some drunk homeless busker dragged in from outside Collbellup shops rather than world class performers like Adams.

Didnt west coast only get allocated 15000 seats today? As the highest ranked team it shouldve been played at subiaco to accommodate their supporters.

How many did Hawthorn get allocated?

Every club knows where the gf is gong to,be held every year. From a crowd perspective it's largely even.

If I was a young player my dream would be to hold the Premiership cup up at the MCG. It's hard to win at the G. That's why it means so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what? Your team shouldve finished higher then. We should be accommodating the team that finished higher, not victorians.
My scenario would apply to anyone in any city, not just me in Melbourne. The point is that attempting to arrange a Grand Final at one week's notice is utterly impractical for fans, venues and cities alike. It's just not a reasonable option for an event this large. Well done for so very completely missing that point though.

The AFL must change the rules on the games Vic teams sell and stop costing interstate teams the chance of playing on the MCG.

theres an easy fix for that. back in equalisation, so we are not forced with a shitty revenue problem created by poor stadia deal rather than forcing us to sell games to stay competitive

cant have your cake and eat it too

This game was over before it began. Hawthorn gifted the easiest, most unfair national premiership ever thanks to the AFL's stubbornness.

ANZ stadium or Adelaide oval would have been perfectly suitable alternatives. The "hurr durr tradition" argument is BS. The 1991 Grand Final was played at some soulless venue. If the AFL was about tradition then Fitzroy would still be around.

The decision to keep playing the Grand Final at this venue every single year is a blight on the competition

Okay. St Kilda wouldn't even exist today if not for West Coast / Adelaide
I am logo finding out that the Grand final is going to be played at the MCG ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back