Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we need one of these!

What's your favourite style and beer? What is so bad that you would sooner drink cat piss? Best value for money drop? Best kept secret little suburban brewery?

Share all your beer preferences and any cool related stories here.

I think I'll kick things off by stating that any beer that comes in a 30 block of tinnies is not worth drinking.

I tend to like malty ales, stuff like Squire Amber Ale, and European lagers like Becks.

I am very surprised with the Squire Pilsner though. I think it's a really nice beer but it is nothing like a true pilsner, hence surprised they'd market it as such (having said that, I've only had the pilsners we import, have never been through Europe (specifically Czech) to sample a true pilsner from the homeland)

my missus old man drinks a slab of vb every few days.. ive inputted 5 codes yet no scoreboard.... im gunning for one of those things!

i'll grab a budvar or a quilmes if i have a wide choice - love those two... great session beers

ive got 4 whitbiers in my bag right now, some of the moa blanc... keen to see how they go, i'll report back in a few hours...

Depends where I am, if getting a slab and going to a house prefer to go for Little creatures pale ale or bright ale, or if not available the James Squire equivalents. At a bar I generally prefer the same stuff but most of the time it's not available so will just settle for w/e, not really fussed.

Depends where I am, if getting a slab and going to a house prefer to go for Little creatures pale ale or bright ale, or if not available the James Squire equivalents. At a bar I generally prefer the same stuff but most of the time it's not available so will just settle for w/e, not really fussed.

Agree with you on James Squire - good beer IMO. As is some of Matilda Bay's stuff including Fatyak, and an old favourite Redback.

For something a little outside the square Killer Sprocket amber ale is well worth a try. It's a great drop made in Moolap, Victoria.

KillerSprocketAll.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coopers Sparkling is the best beer I've had and what I drinnk most of (must be in a glass though).

Coopers Extra Stout is unbeatable when you're watching the footy on a freezing winters night.

Coopers Pale Ale for the heat if you fel like something lighter than a Sparkling.

Coopers Vintage for a special occasion. Amazingly good as it is, it is too potent, rich and expensive for a regular drink.

Coopers Sparkling is the best beer I've had and what I drinnk most of (must be in a glass though).

Coopers Extra Stout is unbeatable when you're watching the footy on a freezing winters night.

Coopers Pale Ale for the heat if you fel like something lighter than a Sparkling.

Coopers Vintage for a special occasion. Amazingly good as it is, it is too potent, rich and expensive for a regular drink.

Not south Australian by any chance are you? ;)

Not south Australian by any chance are you? ;)

No, I'm a parochial Victorian. Coopers is just that good.

Despite being mass produced it's quality is very much that of a craft beer. Without preservatives and additives it doesn't give you a hangover either.

I was initially all for the craft beers but I've gone off them because I find many are too floral and seem to be more about diluting traditional beer flavours in order to make a product with a broader appeal.

If you're ever in Bright or just passing through the Bright Brewery makes some seriously good, not floral, craft beers.

Dunno about the no hangover bit, Bruno.

Pale Ale? Mild Ale?

Yeah, agree there.

Ever had a big session on the Sparkling, though? Can have nasty results the next day.

I'm a big fan of their dark ale, too.

It's not the beer as much as it is the alcohol that does that.

I can drink X number of Sparklings and X number of Boags/Draught/VB/Tooheys/ with very different consequences the next day. It's doesn't given the wine like hangover during which you want to kill yourself.

Agree with you on James Squire - good beer IMO. As is some of Matilda Bay's stuff including Fatyak, and an old favourite Redback.

For something a little outside the square Killer Sprocket amber ale is well worth a try. It's a great drop made in Moolap, Victoria.

KillerSprocketAll.jpg
Is it southern bay that make the "hop bazooka"? That was pretty good from memory

Anyone had the Grand Ridge Supershine?

It's like drinking a Christmas pudding. At 11.0%, it absolutely knocks your socks off though.
You can just about use a knife and fork for the supershine. Love grand ridge brewery beers, great place for a feed to. Fisherman's basket w/ a brewer's pils... sensational.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back