Sport The Hangar Cycling Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's winning?
It's over. Egan Bernal, a Colombian Rider from team Ineos (formerly Sky) won from Geraint Thomas (last year's winner) and Steven Kruijswick.

It's over. Egan Bernal, a Colombian Rider from team Ineos (formerly Sky) won from Geraint Thomas (last year's winner) and Steven Kruijswick.
How'd the Aussies go?

Side note how many South Americans won before?

How'd the Aussies go?

Side note how many South Americans won before?
Richie Porte finished 11th, Jack Haig 38th on time. Caleb Ewan got 3 stage wins (most of any sprinter) and finished second in the Green Jersey. Mitchelton-Scott as a team had four stage wins.

He's the first. In order of Tours won:

France: 36 total, 23 winners
Belgium: 18/10
Spain: 12/7
Italy: 10/7
GB: 6/3
Luxembourg: 5/4
USA: 3/1
Netherlands: 2/2
Switzerland: 2/2
Denmark/Germany/Ireland/Australia/Columbia: 1/1

Yeah man.. I did a ramp test about 6 weeks ago, not as bad as I thought it would be...but not very fun either.
Torture - are you doing a follow up?

I did the first 20 minute FTP about 9 weeks ago and trained to improve in between. This time round i was hanging out bad 9 minutes just sitting on my old pace - couldn't work out why i was so deep so early. Turns out they recalibrated the bikes so it was harder this time (or rather easier the first time) i hung on for the next 10 Minutes. Was devastated by the end. Wasn't sure how i was going to get off the bike :)

Torture - are you doing a follow up?

I did the first 20 minute FTP about 9 weeks ago and trained to improve in between. This time round i was hanging out bad 9 minutes just sitting on my old pace - couldn't work out why i was so deep so early. Turns out they recalibrated the bikes so it was harder this time (or rather easier the first time) i hung on for the next 10 Minutes. Was devastated by the end. Wasn't sure how i was going to get off the bike :)

Yeah I will probably do another one in 2 weeks. Nothing worse than being 9 mins into an 20 minute test, having gone out too hard!

Yeah I will probably do another one in 2 weeks. Nothing worse than being 9 mins into an 20 minute test, having gone out too hard!
Let us know how you go. I will have a look at the ramp and maybe give one a go myself at some stage :)

I knew it felt worse after about 6 minutes in then around 9 the battle began haha....it was distressing tbh! Ego alone made me hang on. I put out 2 watts less than my first one but as i mentioned i think my first score should have been lower than it was. I did improve overall FTP slightly because i had dropped 3 kegs so i still made a small gain. That plus i learnt a lot about training on the bike which was great.

Btw are you racing ?

Last edited:
Let us know how you go. I will have a look at the ramp and maybe give one a go myself at some stage :)

I knew it felt worse after about 6 minutes in then around 9 the battle began haha....it was distressing tbh! Ego alone made me hang on. I put out 2 watts less than my first one but as i mentioned i think my first score should have been lower than it was. I did improve overall FTP slightly because i had dropped 3 kegs so i still made a small gain. That plus i learnt a lot about training on the bike which was great.

Btw are you racing ?

Not racing, but training for a couple of things. Want to do Amy's ride in Lorne later this year, but mainly trying to get as strong as I can, because a mate of mine is planning to rent a house for a couple of months in the mountains in Europe (when everything gets back to normal), and anyone is welcome - and he is waaaay stronger than me.

Not racing, but training for a couple of things. Want to do Amy's ride in Lorne later this year, but mainly trying to get as strong as I can, because a mate of mine is planning to rent a house for a couple of months in the mountains in Europe (when everything gets back to normal), and anyone is welcome - and he is waaaay stronger than me.
Just looked up the Amy's ride Gran Fondo - might come down for it myself! Looks like a really good event. Would be fairly challenging along the coast i imagine. Similar story to my training motivation. A mate of mine has been a pretty high level rider and we started to ride a bit together (he 'hosted' the FTP sessions i went to for the spin groups he trains). The aim is just to do some 3 or 4 day tours around NSW / Vic at around that 75 / 100 ks a day type thing. It's been a great learning journey. Now just trying to get my recovery food intake right after my longer rides (1800 calorie plus burns). Im sick of feeling like im chasing food all the time that night and the next day etc. My partner is over it too :)

I did a pretty quick 60ks today and smashed a fair bit more food straight after than normal so lll see. Its hard to keep up though (i run daily too) Garmin reckons ive burned just over 3600 calories today so far. Do you have any tips there NAB?

Just looked up the Amy's ride Gran Fondo - might come down for it myself! Looks like a really good event. Would be fairly challenging along the coast i imagine. Similar story to my training motivation. A mate of mine has been a pretty high level rider and we started to ride a bit together (he 'hosted' the FTP sessions i went to for the spin groups he trains). The aim is just to do some 3 or 4 day tours around NSW / Vic at around that 75 / 100 ks a day type thing. It's been a great learning journey. Now just trying to get my recovery food intake right after my longer rides (1800 calorie plus burns). Im sick of feeling like im chasing food all the time that night and the next day etc. My partner is over it too :)

I did a pretty quick 60ks today and smashed a fair bit more food straight after than normal so lll see. Its hard to keep up though (i run daily too) Garmin reckons ive burned just over 3600 calories today so far. Do you have any tips there NAB?

I reckon one of the keys is to eat on the bike. I normally have 3 gels on a 3 hour ride, but when I go longer, I take sandwiches etc. Otherwise, I go nuts & can't stop eating all day.

I reckon one of the keys is to eat on the bike. I normally have 3 gels on a 3 hour ride, but when I go longer, I take sandwiches etc. Otherwise, I go nuts & can't stop eating all day.
Thanks and yes i've been ramping it up on the rides in terms of intake. Been trying to avoid gels a bit and go with bananas and oats and slices etc (just to avoid pure sugar) but they may not be enough calories and be leaving me a bit depleted and chasing for the rest of the day.

How many calories in the gels you take NAB? I reckon i had about 500 calories in the 2 hours today - nothing till 90 minutes in.

Edit- i think could probably fix it by eating a pizza or something after but we dont eat junk. It means im teeming with stel cut oats and spag bol for about 6 hours though instead :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks and yes i've been ramping it up on the rides in terms of intake. Been trying to avoid gels a bit and go with bananas and oats and slices etc (just to avoid pure sugar) but they may not be enough calories and be leaving me a bit depleted and chasing for the rest of the day.

How many calories in the gels you take NAB? I reckon i had about 500 calories in the 2 hours today - nothing till 90 minutes in.

Edit- i think could probably fix it by eating a pizza or something after but we dont eat junk. It means im teeming with stel cut oats and spag bol for about 6 hours though instead :)

I am normally around 350 in the last hour or so of the ride, that will increase as the kms go up..

So it's Grand Tour season again. Jai Hindley finished 2nd in the Giro last year, but it was a weak field to begin with and it got weaker when several of the best riders abandoned for various reasons.

Simon Yates for the Aussie team could be a chance as well, he'll be the leader in this and the Vuelta in all likelihood.

Cav finally levels with Merckx. He's the GOAT for the sprinters and will win green this year, providing he makes all the time cuts.

Shame that Ewan crashed, has made it easy for Cav to win.

Shame that Ewan crashed, has made it easy for Cav to win.
As well as Demare's downturn in form from last year's Giro. Still, can't argue with his record.

Wahooti Fandango am I being completely and utterly biased to think that Haig will be on the podium? Not a chance, will be on the podium.

Sorry for slow reply. Have not followed it this year, but looking at he standings he'd be a good chance to podium (make up for crashing out of the Tour).

Sorry for slow reply. Have not followed it this year, but looking at he standings he'd be a good chance to podium (make up for crashing out of the Tour).
Was on his limit last night but tonight is the last chance for Lopez to put enough time into him to stay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back