Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you find the induction top? I'm in a rental atm and wife text me to say there's a new big crack in the one at our house. I f'n hate the thing. It's 900mm of bench space we can't even use and yet it only has 4 elements biggest load of wank I've ever seen. Now the bloody thing has cracked neither of us know when right across the element so it must've come from normal use (putting a pan on it) somebody should blow induction cooktops up.

Gas or bust for me. Had an electric cooker for a while and it was the worst.

Ye Olde Bombay Curry.

If only you could make a curry in a pot look good because this recipe, an old faithful of mine, is the absolute ducks nuts. Has about 15 minutes of simmering to reduce the sauce and then she's go.

View attachment 959745
Surely you can't say that without sharing

How do you find the induction top? I'm in a rental atm and wife text me to say there's a new big crack in the one at our house. I f'n hate the thing. It's 900mm of bench space we can't even use and yet it only has 4 elements biggest load of wank I've ever seen. Now the bloody thing has cracked neither of us know when right across the element so it must've come from normal use (putting a pan on it) somebody should blow induction cooktops up.
I prefer gas but the induction goes alright. Had zero issues with cracking and cleaning is a breeze. When we built we went with the induction for reasons that are beyond me now, but I got used to it pretty quick.

Not food per se, but I’m moving into a small apartment with limited bench/storage space so am considering things like open shelving, lots of hanging rails, magnetic knife rack, etc.

Does anyone have any little tips they’ve implemented over the years to maximise space in their kitchen?

I've got my youngest eating veggies. Winning!

Stir fry vegies is a once a week side now. The flavouring is always a clove of garlic cooked with the veg, 3 teaspoons of soy and 1 of sesame oil as the sauce at the end.

I've used any of onion, carrot, broccoli, snow peas, capsicum, baby corn, spinach, all eaten without complaint. Actually I lie, I didn't reduce the sauce enough first try so was too runny and it didn't coat the veg enough. She asked for more sauce but kept eating the veg so knew I was on the right track.

Eventually I'll add a bit of ginger, spring onions, maybe some very subtle chilli for heat etc but for now I'm not pushing it.

Not food per se, but I’m moving into a small apartment with limited bench/storage space so am considering things like open shelving, lots of hanging rails, magnetic knife rack, etc.

Does anyone have any little tips they’ve implemented over the years to maximise space in their kitchen?
I just bought a kitchen trolley today. In the planning stages of building a house, and one of our issues is going to be kitchen storage. And I'm a kitchen person. We're having a butler pantry and so the trolley will be essential for transitioning between the two. Where we are now we're out of bench space with the mixer, food processor, toaster, kettle, blender, coffee machine... cracked the bloody induction cooktop (shithouse) because of it. Reckon I might set up the trolley to use as storage for the stuff we want out but don't necessarily have the space for.

Wife doesn't like hanging pot racks but I think we'll have to have one over the island bench as we won't have much cabinetry in the kitchen. I love the look and having stuff handy, she's not so keen on it and also as a short person who gets sore shoulders is a bit worried.

When I lived in a small place I didn't have much by way of kitchenware but had enough to cook almost anything, it's amazing how we unnecessarily accessorise and I'd struggle if downsizing these days.

I'd recommend looking at early Jamie Oliver or Rachel Khoo cooking shows as both shot their shows in shoebox sized kitchens

Less stuff.

Magnetic racks are good, and baskets on the inside of cupboard doors. Extra shelves and rails will suck up limited bench space quickly.

Less stuff.

Magnetic racks are good, and baskets on the inside of cupboard doors. Extra shelves and rails will suck up limited bench space quickly.

I guess it all depends on whether you want it for functional use, aesthetics or a decent combination of both. I found this picture of Rachel Khoo's apartment kitchen in her Little Paris Kitchen days and wow, I guess you can do almost anything if going for function. This was apparently a small 1 bedroom apartment.

1604439798004.png

1604439828257.png

A chopping board cover for the sink is a good option for a bit of extra bench space
1604474308780.jpeg

Less stuff.

I’m probably lucky I don’t have that much stuff to begin with. My main problem is I don’t have a dedicated pantry and don’t want a free standing one, so that will eat into my limited space.

I’m considering using a system similar to this ikea one.
IMG_8564.JPG

I have a “study nook” next to my kitchen which I won’t use since I already have a desk and a spot for it. I’m assuming things like this can take a reasonable weight if it is attached to the wall properly. It’s modular too so I can rearrane and change sections as I like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crumbed cutlets. How good ?
We love them. I use herbs or other times parmesan cheese in the bread crumb mix but because you need to get a personal loan to buy a good feed of lamb cutlets I use thin bbq chops instead. They come up just as good..

Also

tenor.gif

Cheese, eh? Let me introduce you to Chechil:

Chechil_06.jpg

What is Chechil, you ask? Chechil is love my friends, Chechil is life.

Chechil is also a pulled cheese, pickled in saltwater, woven into braids and smoked. It's ******* spectacular - salty, smoky, chewy, like good pretzels or jerky but made of cheese, and filling the same niche. Slowly dismantling a braid while knocking back a few beers is heaven. Coincidentally, it's also the only cheese that can survive the trip to Mongolia, where we discovered it, but it originates in Armenia and is huge throughout the Caucasus, Russia and into parts of Eastern Europe.
I have been on a Chechil Quest for eight years now.

I worked in Elsternwick for a while and must have stuck my head into every vaguely Eastern-European deli there is down that way. Apparently something about the way it's made means you can't import it.

This week though I discovered stringy haloum and it is officially Close Enough. Run it through a cold smoker and I reckon you'd be 95% there.

Toasted English muffins with lashings of butter and a little more vegemite than what's generally considered acceptable is one of life's simple pleasures
Freshly caught crayfish cooked at home with fresh bread, some dipping sauces and a bottle of wine for dinner...one of life's more extravagant pleasures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back