The Hangar Motoring Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

while on cameras - i barely get fined.. but the three i have recieved have been in the same spot.. and it pisses me off!

its on Burke Rd going through the junction - its a rort. the speed red light camera combo

its 40kmh, you have cars lined up at the light change - i reckon it lets 6 through before it changes, sometimes youll be there for 4 or more changes.

if you are around the 6th you hesitate and get ready to slow - they get pissed at you behind and horn because they want to get through - if you get to the light and it changes orange you are in a no win, jam on the brakes - get rear ended, speed up to get through, pass 40 and get ticketed.

I avoid the itnersection now.

+road trips, without it becoming a travel thread.

I've done two in my life. 18 days driving around most of Tasmania. Took the car over on the boat. Then around South Island for ten days two years ago. Got another nine day trip to South Island in April.

Both amazing places to go for a driving holiday.

I've owned three cars. I bought a 1996 Mazda 626 in 2006 when I got my licence. Was a manual. Good car, but written off in 2008 when I was sandwiched on Bell Street. Luckily I was only slightly hurt.

Replaced that with a 2001 2.6L V6 Holden Vectra, and got almost seven years out of it. Was a great car to drive, but in the end it just died.

Fiancé and I then jointly bought a 2010 Peugeot 308 in early 2015 to replace it. It's going well.

Dream car would be C63AMG.
How did you find the spirit?

What is it with people who stop and wave you through when they clearly have right of way? Just go around the corner dickhead!
Had that once where I stopped to give way at a chicane and then the person coming the other way also stopped?? I mean we got there at the same time but what is the rule for a chicane anyway? In that particular instance it ended up with the guy behind me (well actually, a car full of young idiots with their P plates up) went zipping around me and cut off the car I was giving way to as well... first, last and only time I've ever gestured at someone on the road.

Interestingly, there's actually no 'right of way' rules in Victoria, the rules all talk about 'giving way'.

Had that once where I stopped to give way at a chicane and then the person coming the other way also stopped?? I mean we got there at the same time but what is the rule for a chicane anyway? In that particular instance it ended up with the guy behind me (well actually, a car full of young idiots with their P plates up) went zipping around me and cut off the car I was giving way to as well... first, last and only time I've ever gestured at someone on the road.

Interestingly, there's actually no 'right of way' rules in Victoria, the rules all talk about 'giving way'.
Not sure. It's like that odd occasion where 4 cars get to a roundabout at the same time.

My situation was I was turning right over 2 lanes of a dual carriageway and this guy coming the other way goes to turn left into the same street, gets to the end of the turning lane and then instead of going around the corner he waves me through.

Not sure. It's like that odd occasion where 4 cars get to a roundabout at the same time.

My situation was I was turning right over 2 lanes of a dual carriageway and this guy coming the other way goes to turn left into the same street, gets to the end of the turning lane and then instead of going around the corner he waves me through.
Yeah that's just silly. In that situation the lines on the road clearly show who has to give way anyway, like what is confusing about that?

Yeah that's just silly. In that situation the lines on the road clearly show who has to give way anyway, like what is confusing about that?
I don't know and the thing is I had an opportunity to ask the guy as it turns out he works in my building and followed me in. I didn't though as I was feeling a bit seedy from last night and couldn't trust myself not to say it in a way I'd regret later.

I don't know and the thing is I had an opportunity to ask the guy as it turns out he works in my building and followed me in. I didn't though as I was feeling a bit seedy from last night and couldn't trust myself not to say it in a way I'd regret later.
I've had to tone down my gestures on the road after realising just how many cars use the same route to get to the office. I have learnt that many of my colleagues are s**t drivers.

Roundabouts are not stop signs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know how most people have a problem with a someone who drives a particular kind of car? Like, my mum hates people who drive Black SUV's or the like.

Mine are BMW drivers. They are by far the most arrogant, ************ little shits who think they're superior because they drive probably the most famous luxury car in Australia. BMW drivers are bad people, there's just no getting around it. So, anyway, here's today's example as to why I feel this way:

I was driving along a side street with around 3 or 4 speed humps and being respectful about it, climbing to around 40 before lowering to about 20 to go over the hump. This BMW driver decided I was taking too long and as I was lowering my speed to get over the second hump this w***er decided to accelerate past (and go at least 60 as a conservative estimate.) I abused the s**t out of him straight after though, which did make me feel better.

In short, BMW drivers are dicks and the world would be better without them.

1700? That's a small car m8!

The missus has just got an old 450cc suzuki. Really cool looking bike. I had a little go in an empty car park and almost shat myself! The mechanics of driving a bike is so non instinctual to me (having done about 500,000 ks in a car).
My previous car was a Golf which had a 1.4L Turbo, 1700 is larger than most small cars these days

Kettles

Could go in the what shits ya thread but probably better here - tailgaters. Had this woman right in my boot this morning. I didn't notice at first but her high speed had subconsciously made me speed to the point I looked down and was doing 75 in a 60 zone. I slowed down to the speed limit and she was completely oblivious. Just right up in there. We stop side by side at some lights and I look over and she's just in her own world. I take a left which is a short cut and she goes straight. She must have got a green further down because as I'm waiting to turn back onto the main drag I see her go past - you guessed it, right in the boot of the car in front. We get out onto the highway and she's doing it all the way along. People either get out of her way or touch their brakes to get her to back off. No dice. She just brakes until they stop braking and then stays in their boot. Then to top it off, she blows through a red light that I get caught at. There's a camera box at the intersection but no flash of course. You just really hope these people have a date with the karma bus at some stage.

Could go in the what shits ya thread but probably better here - tailgaters. Had this woman right in my boot this morning. I didn't notice at first but her high speed had subconsciously made me speed to the point I looked down and was doing 75 in a 60 zone. I slowed down to the speed limit and she was completely oblivious. Just right up in there. We stop side by side at some lights and I look over and she's just in her own world. I take a left which is a short cut and she goes straight. She must have got a green further down because as I'm waiting to turn back onto the main drag I see her go past - you guessed it, right in the boot of the car in front. We get out onto the highway and she's doing it all the way along. People either get out of her way or touch their brakes to get her to back off. No dice. She just brakes until they stop braking and then stays in their boot. Then to top it off, she blows through a red light that I get caught at. There's a camera box at the intersection but no flash of course. You just really hope these people have a date with the karma bus at some stage.

As long as the karma bus ensures nobody else gets hurt, I agree.

I recall when driving to work a couple of years ago one woman pulled out of a side street and sped to within a bee's dick of my rear bumper. I tapped the brakes and she backed off about 2m before coming closer again. I drive a s**t box so next I brake and slowed down a good 5kph, if not closer to 10kph. I watched in the rearview mirror our rear and front bumpers almost kiss and the "oh my god!" followed by the absolute look of shock on her face was priceless. She backed off to a reasonable distance then.

Also had an issue with a bloke on the same stretch of road which has zip merges after each set of traffic lights. I was in front, I merged, he tailgated me the entire way to the next set of lights. At the lights alongside me he winds his window down and was yelling at me, colourfully telling me to stick in my lane etc. He didn't like my response saying I am sticking in my lane, it's a single lane road dickhead, learn how a zip merge works. Anyway, he floors it when the lights go green but a cold wet morning meant the wheels start spinning, I take off normally and merge in front of him again (oh how good that felt). He then overtakes me going ~90kph in a 60 zone. We then meet at the next set of lights where he starting yelling off his **** when he saw me chuckling at him. That set of lights I turn left though so our shenanigans were over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back