Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thanks for that, just what I was hoping for.
I’ll have a look into those places.

I’m leaning towards going higher up, as I’d like guaranteed warmth.
The last few years I have just gone to to the coast down here, but it has still been pretty cold in November.
Actually the weather in Victoria has been garbage for the last few years, more cold days than warm days. And we regularly get Arctic winds, which are as horrendous as they sound.
Can you better define warm for me?

I think you'll be fine anywhere north of Geraldton then at that time of year tbh although shorts and tshirt weather means different things to different people.

Cool. And yes “warm” can be pretty subjective.

At the moment I’m wearing Ugg boots, thermals and doona pants (yes pants made out of doona material).
So the opposite of this would be nice. :)

Shorts and t-shirt weather I suppose.
I’m guessing it can get pretty brutal up North though.
I spent a week in Broome at the end of October (many years ago). Not a lot of rain at that point but very hot (38+, was 46 one day), and a bit of humidity in the late afternoons. If I were to do Broome again I'd probably target the start of the dry season.

We went to Margaret river the following week and it was beautiful weather which is probably aligning to your time of travel. Mid 20s all week.

Somewhere in between sounds like your sweet spot.

I spent a week in Broome at the end of October (many years ago). Not a lot of rain at that point but very hot (38+, was 46 one day), and a bit of humidity in the late afternoons. If I were to do Broome again I'd probably target the start of the dry season.

We went to Margaret river the following week and it was beautiful weather which is probably aligning to your time of travel. Mid 20s all week.

Somewhere in between sounds like your sweet spot.

Great, thanks!
Yeah 46 degrees is a bit too toasty for my liking, yikes.
I looked up the temperatures for Broome last mid November, and they were around the low 30’s, which would be ideal. Might just have to hope for the best.

And apologies to all for turning the Travel thread into the weather channel.

If you're only here for a few days though you're going to have to choose between north and south. North is obviously warmer and south is cooler but has forest, wineries and breweries.

I definitely like the sound of forests, but I haven’t touched alcohol in over 3 years so wineries and breweries would be lost on me.

I definitely like the sound of forests, but I haven’t touched alcohol in over 3 years so wineries and breweries would be lost on me.
Well you've definitely got lots of forest down south and none up north. You also have plenty of amazing beaches down south but then it comes back to how warm you need to be. It's not going to be sweltering down there. As Pweter said you're probably looking at mid 20's which could be enough if you don't need it to be HOT.

Great, thanks!
Yeah 46 degrees is a bit too toasty for my liking, yikes.
I looked up the temperatures for Broome last mid November, and they were around the low 30’s, which would be ideal. Might just have to hope for the best.

And apologies to all for turning the Travel thread into the weather channel.
Was 2006 when we went, no idea if that was unseasonably hot or not but the locals seemed ok while we were melting.
Well you've definitely got lots of forest down south and none up north. You also have plenty of amazing beaches down south but then it comes back to how warm you need to be. It's not going to be sweltering down there. As Pweter said you're probably looking at mid 20's which could be enough if you don't need it to be HOT.
And if you enjoy your food, south is also amazing. We only explored the top half of the Margaret River region in 6 or so days, only venturing a few km south of the township (we were based in Dunsborough). There's plenty more to discover south of the township too. It's an easy district to find your way around and everything seemed pretty close to get to by car.

Well I’ve booked my trip to W.A.
5 days in Cable Beach, Broome in late October/early November.
Thanks to everyone for your input!
I’ll be in an apartment pretty close to the beach. I looked at it on Google maps only to discover that it is right next to the Broome Crocodile Sanctuary. I tried zooming in to check on the quality of the fencing.

It’s fair to say I’m Looking forward to it a bit, I’m as excited as a dog with 2 dicks. I haven’t been on a plane this millennium.
And though I’ve had lots of getaways, I haven’t had a “fancy” holiday in ages.
I think the last one was a couple of weeks in Post Stephan’s in 2005. (Great location!)

On the flight to Broome, there is a stopover in Perth, but only for about an hour. If it was longer, I would have invited myself over to Beerfish’s place, so he could show me his extensive guitar collection, Nigel Tufnel style.
IMG_3389.jpeg

And Beerfish, I saw that Broome has some rare Snub Fin Monkeys, which look awesome, hopefully I’ll see one or two.

IMG_3395.jpeg

Well I’ve booked my trip to W.A.
5 days in Cable Beach, Broome in late October/early November.
Thanks to everyone for your input!
I’ll be in an apartment pretty close to the beach. I looked at it on Google maps only to discover that it is right next to the Broome Crocodile Sanctuary. I tried zooming in to check on the quality of the fencing.

It’s fair to say I’m Looking forward to it a bit, I’m as excited as a dog with 2 dicks. I haven’t been on a plane this millennium.
And though I’ve had lots of getaways, I haven’t had a “fancy” holiday in ages.
I think the last one was a couple of weeks in Post Stephan’s in 2005. (Great location!)

On the flight to Broome, there is a stopover in Perth, but only for about an hour. If it was longer, I would have invited myself over to Beerfish’s place, so he could show me his extensive guitar collection, Nigel Tufnel style.
View attachment 1725785

And Beerfish, I saw that Broome has some rare Snub Fin Monkeys, which look awesome, hopefully I’ll see one or two.

View attachment 1725787
Do the sunset camel ride. It's touristy as * but if you nail a nice evening like we did it makes for a memorable time.

We did the Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek day trip which was great, went on a fishing charter and also hired a car and cruised around to the brewery, mango winery etc.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking at New York for 2 weeks over xmas/new year, then 3 weeks in Europe before having to get back here so my partner can go to work (teacher). thinking Berlin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen - open to any other suggestions in that region. maybe we will duck down to Prague and Budapest depending on time

Depending on how you're planning on getting from Berlin to Copenhagen to Amsterdam consider Hamburg for a night or two, quite a cool looking city architecture-wise with a lot of restaurants / bars / cafes. Trains should all transit through there.

looking at New York for 2 weeks over xmas/new year, then 3 weeks in Europe before having to get back here so my partner can go to work (teacher). thinking Berlin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen - open to any other suggestions in that region. maybe we will duck down to Prague and Budapest depending on time
Have been to NYC three times, at that time of year - most recent was last xmas. Have you been before?

no, neither been to NYC. have friends who have been around that time and said it was good
It's amazing, so much to do. Our favourite time was after new years eve, when the majority of the tourists leave. Much easier to get into attractions etc. Two things I'd highly recommend - get the Citymapper app and use the subway. We were there for three weeks and don't think there was a day that we didn't use it. And, take a look at Times Square, but don't bother too much with it. So many better things to do and see.

I’d recommend Barcelona if you get the time.
Great sites, yummy food, nice vibe all round there.

Settled on my itinerary for next month:

Munich - 2 days. Have been there before but am flying into there and really want to go to Neuschwanstein Castle which I didn't get time for last time.

Berlin - 4 days

Hamburg - 2 days

Copenhagen - 3 days

Gdansk - 3 days

Warsaw - 3 days

Krakow - 5 days

Wroclaw - 2 days

Krakow - 5 days

Poznan - 3 days

Then back to Munich for a couple days for Oktoberfest before I fly out. Any tips on what to see in any of these places?

Munich - 2 days. Have been there before but am flying into there and really want to go to Neuschwanstein Castle which I didn't get time for last time.

Berlin - 4 days

Hamburg - 2 days

Copenhagen - 3 days

Gdansk - 3 days

Warsaw - 3 days

Krakow - 5 days

Wroclaw - 2 days

Krakow - 5 days

Poznan - 3 days

Then back to Munich for a couple days for Oktoberfest before I fly out. Any tips on what to see in any of these places?
Oh man I am jealous!!
I’ve only been to Berlin in Deutschland and it was a cool city.
Like most places, good food and beer.

20 years since I have been there but I stayed at a hostel called The Circus and it was the best hostel I’ve ever stayed in. (The one with the Hasselhoff museum 😆)
Did an 8 hour walking tour of Berlin and really enjoyed it (great way to see the city and if you are into history they take you to a lot of WW2/Cold War areas and where wacko jacko dangled his baby out of a window).

Lots of high profile bands play in Berlin so if you are into gigs it is a good city for that too.

Oh man I am jealous!!
I’ve only been to Berlin in Deutschland and it was a cool city.
Like most places, good food and beer.

20 years since I have been there but I stayed at a hostel called The Circus and it was the best hostel I’ve ever stayed in. (The one with the Hasselhoff museum 😆)
Did an 8 hour walking tour of Berlin and really enjoyed it (great way to see the city and if you are into history they take you to a lot of WW2/Cold War areas and where wacko jacko dangled his baby out of a window).

Lots of high profile bands play in Berlin so if you are into gigs it is a good city for that too.
I've been to Germany twice but never been to Berlin. Really looking forward to it. Hope I'm not so drunk from Oktoberfest that I miss my flight home. Or maybe I do.

Berlin - 4 days

Hamburg - 2 days

Copenhagen - 3 days

Gdansk - 3 days

Warsaw - 3 days

Krakow - 5 days

Wroclaw - 2 days

Krakow - 5 days

Poznan - 3 days

It's pretty grim but Aushwitz is worth a visit IMO.

It's pretty grim but Aushwitz is worth a visit IMO.
Yeah. Am definitely going there. Also going to Schindler's Factory in Krakow. My whole trip to Poland is because I'm a WWII history buff. I went to Dachau last time I was in Munich. Very interesting but also very sobering.

Yeah. Am definitely going there. Also going to Schindler's Factory in Krakow. My whole trip to Poland is because I'm a WWII history buff. I went to Dachau last time I was in Munich. Very interesting but also very sobering.
I've been to Mauthausen. Similarly, very sobering. Just a very surreal vibe. Eerily quiet. Glad I went but not in a hurry to return. Would recommend to anyone though. I think the memorials are such an important reminder of the atrocities that occurred not so long ago. Not limited to WWII either. I've also been to the Rwandan's genocide memorial. Horrific stuff.

Neuschwanstein Castle (the one the Disney castle is based on) near Munich yesterday.

20230905_104255.jpg

The Nazi Rallying Grounds where Hitler held his rallies in Nuremberg today.

20230906_133401.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back