Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man I am jealous!!
I’ve only been to Berlin in Deutschland and it was a cool city.
Like most places, good food and beer.

20 years since I have been there but I stayed at a hostel called The Circus and it was the best hostel I’ve ever stayed in. (The one with the Hasselhoff museum 😆)
Did an 8 hour walking tour of Berlin and really enjoyed it (great way to see the city and if you are into history they take you to a lot of WW2/Cold War areas and where wacko jacko dangled his baby out of a window).

Did a 4 hr walking tour today. Glad I didn't do 8. My feet were killing me after 4. But it was a great way to see the city and it ended at Checkpoint Charlie, a 2 minute walk from where I'm staying. Going to the Topography of Terror and DDR museums tomorrow. 20230907_072138.jpg

Did a 4 hr walking tour today. Glad I didn't do 8. My feet were killing me after 4. But it was a great way to see the city and it ended at Checkpoint Charlie, a 2 minute walk from where I'm staying. Going to the Topography of Terror and DDR museums tomorrow. View attachment 1796785
DDR Museum is fantastic, one of the more unique museums I've seen.

i visited vietnam with my family in like 2011 and, while i was ignorant to the world then the country was simply amazing. i think that's what inspired me to develop a deep love and respect for history and it's importance. it's a country that's existed for a very long time and still has it's own independent history.

when i've saved up more cash i'll absolutely visit again, it was amazing the first time and i know it'll be amazing again since i'm not a child and booze was dirt cheap, like $2 for a bottle of whatever grog you want cheap

would recommend to everyone!

i visited vietnam with my family in like 2011 and, while i was ignorant to the world then the country was simply amazing. i think that's what inspired me to develop a deep love and respect for history and it's importance. it's a country that's existed for a very long time and still has it's own independent history.

when i've saved up more cash i'll absolutely visit again, it was amazing the first time and i know it'll be amazing again since i'm not a child and booze was dirt cheap, like $2 for a bottle of whatever grog you want cheap

would recommend to everyone!
Yeah it is crazy how cheap beer is in Vietnam.
I went in 2007 and up North (Hanoi) there would be people with a barrel on the street selling pots/scooters for $1…only problem was that once you broke the seal you had to run back to your hotel for a slash because they would just be selling it randomly on a street with no toilet facilities. I didn’t see this happening down south.

I went on the train from North to South on a Gecko/intrepid tour which was a good way of doing it because you got to meet some new people and sometimes you had to get off the train at 5.30 in the morning and the guide knew what he was doing (it is impossible to read the signs or know where to get off).

If you do join a tour group just ditch the tour guide when it comes to dinner**/buying stuff. They just take you to their friends places, you pay western prices and the guide gets kickback from the shops. eg: when it came time to get a suit made in Hoi An you would pay between $60-90 back then but one guy in our group paid 3 times that at the tour guides mates shop.
**actually the group dinners were fun…just be aware there are other restaurants you can go to

Hoi An has the best Pho.

Hue has a pretty cool Imperial City.

Yeah it is crazy how cheap beer is in Vietnam.
I went in 2007 and up North (Hanoi) there would be people with a barrel on the street selling pots/scooters for $1…only problem was that once you broke the seal you had to run back to your hotel for a slash because they would just be selling it randomly on a street with no toilet facilities. I didn’t see this happening down south.

I went on the train from North to South on a Gecko/intrepid tour which was a good way of doing it because you got to meet some new people and sometimes you had to get off the train at 5.30 in the morning and the guide knew what he was doing (it is impossible to read the signs or know where to get off).

If you do join a tour group just ditch the tour guide when it comes to dinner**/buying stuff. They just take you to their friends places, you pay western prices and the guide gets kickback from the shops. eg: when it came time to get a suit made in Hoi An you would pay between $60-90 back then but one guy in our group paid 3 times that at the tour guides mates shop.
**actually the group dinners were fun…just be aware there are other restaurants you can go to

Hoi An has the best Pho.

Hue has a pretty cool Imperial City.
yeah i think we went with a tour but did stuff on our own like grabbing dinner etc.

i think hoi an was my favourite place because it was beautiful, relaxing and the weather was great, i do think i’d have liked to have spent more time in hue but we were there for a single day, the imperial city & what not was a fascinating, if grim, part of the world

What's Adelaide public transport like?

Asking for a friend
There's a tram that runs from the city to Glenelg, otherwise it's trains or buses.

Train routes are limited, only 1 station in town. I don't know much about their reliability as I've never lived near a train station.

If you're heading anywhere on the NNE to SSE side of town it's buses only. Most arterials have them stopping every 15 minutes on weekdays, 30 minutes on weekends.

Being a relatively small city uber is pretty convenient without breaking the bank.

I'm in Copenhagen at the moment.

20230911_150506.jpg
20230911_123529.jpg

Off to Gdansk in Poland tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poland is so cheap. Especially compared to Copenhagen where everything costs an arm and a leg. $2 for a coffee in Poland. $10 in Denmark. The only thing that shits me about Poland is the public transportation. So confusing. We had to change trains 3 times from the airport to the city. And every time we changed we had to buy another ticket. There are several rail companies in Poland and you have to buy separate tickets for each one.

Has anyone been to Germany? Any suggestions? I am flying in to Frankfurt and then heading up near Nuremberg for a wedding. Fly out of Amsterdam. No accomodation apart from a couple of nights for the wedding.

Wedding is in Eggolsheim which is near Nuremberg.

Has anyone been up further to the west like Cologne, Belgium etc? We even considered skipping across to Prague and even Switzerland but don’t have lot of time.

Has anyone been up further to the west like Cologne, Belgium etc? We even considered skipping across to Prague and even Switzerland but don’t have lot of time.
Have been to Brussels. I was there for maybe 48 hours sporting an Amsterdam hangover, so memory is very hazy. I remember being pretty underwhelmed, though I didn’t really do anything. Atomium was cool, but I’m a chemistry teacher, so take that with a pinch of sodium chloride.

Has anyone been to Germany? Any suggestions? I am flying in to Frankfurt and then heading up near Nuremberg for a wedding. Fly out of Amsterdam. No accomodation apart from a couple of nights for the wedding.
Munich is relatively close to Nurnberg. Nurnberg is the classic Bavarian city and it is a beautiful old town. If you want to see the alps and like nature, go south to places like Konigsee for a day trip (would need to drive there). There are other beautiful hiking areas like around the Walchansee lake.

But another good idea is to go from Nurnberg to Prague, which is a beautiful city that you can spend 2-3 days in. Don't worry about spending anytime in Frankfurt.

Munich is relatively close to Nurnberg. Nurnberg is the classic Bavarian city and it is a beautiful old town. If you want to see the alps and like nature, go south to places like Konigsee for a day trip (would need to drive there). There are other beautiful hiking areas like around the Walchansee lake.

But another good idea is to go from Nurnberg to Prague, which is a beautiful city that you can spend 2-3 days in. Don't worry about spending anytime in Frankfurt.

Agreed, Prague is gorgeous, especially if you're there in off-peak times of year and can avoid the tourist hordes. Brussels is also a very pretty city, only really need a night there if you're comfortable doing 6 hours or so of walking, it's very small, and easy rail links to Amsterdam from memory.

Frankfurt isn't great, from memory it might actually be the ice capital of Europe too. I wouldn't bother spending any longer there than necessary for your travel arrangements, 6 hours walking around the town centre is probably sufficient. If you need to stay overnight, don't stay near the main station there (since I'll assume you'll take a train to Nuremberg), it's the red light / drug district (unless that appeals to you of course). A few blocks south towards the river are some business hotels which are fine and still walking distance to the station.

The trains make it all pretty easy, I'd be looking to work out how you're planning on getting from Frankfurt to Nuremberg to Amsterdam and seeing what train options there are to major cities. Taking a bit of a roundabout train route via somewhere like Prague and/or Switzerland would be well worth it IMO. There's also night trains which can be a good or bad option depending on your tolerance for sleeping on the move.

Thanks owen87 and pepsi . I wish I had seen this earlier . We arrived last night and had arranged a cheap place not far from the train station using frequent flyer points and were directed around the corner by the idiot at the front desk and discovered the red light district and it was pretty confronting. We just wanted a beer and something to eat. It was eye-opening!

Cologne was pretty unimpressive, Munich great (the history is very interesting, but even without it, it's a pretty cool and in parts pretty city).

If you're there, you can also do a day trip to Bavarian country, which is awesome. Neuschwanstein Castle, if you're into (justified) touristy things.

I enjoyed Brussels, but don't need to see it again. Ghent is fine. Antwerp is horrid. Bruges is beautiful (but touristy).

I've seen a lot of that part of the world so am happy to PM for specifics, but that's my shorthand view on North West.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back