The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a connoisseur of fine metal myself...won't bore anyone with band details, but at 44 and several gap years from current teaching job as a music teacher, I've been an axe wielder in a few nobody entities...

Right now though it's limited to the odd spare lesson or after school, when the kids are gone and the PA/Marshall in the classroom (which the kids think is for them) is set to Thrash. Turn it up, start the CD, and I don't stop until it does. Mostly old school, anything from Sabbath through to about 1991 (when most forms of music officially started to suck). The fishing's great, and I'm shirtless all year round, but there's noone to jam with up here in FNQ...!

For me it's the guitar and other instrumental gymnastics...not fussed about lyrics, don't need brotherly black t-shirt companionship or new dentures, and I've got no axe to grind against the world. So while Disturbed don't interest me at all, Trivium most certainly do, and I get Dragonforce despite their tackiness. Not put off by extreme metal, but the clarity of what they're playing is often missing...

Am still keeping up (all downstrokes - that's the barometer) with Master of Puppets and Kill 'Em All, and Rust In Peace, while still chasing my holy grail - nailing Fight Fire With Fire from RT Lightning...can't stop turning the beat on its head at that speed, an ongoing problem since 1989, but worth the perseverance...anyone who understands this paragraph is cool...

For me it's the guitar and other instrumental gymnastics...not fussed about lyrics, don't need brotherly black t-shirt companionship or new dentures, and I've got no axe to grind against the world. So while Disturbed don't interest me at all, Trivium most certainly do, and I get Dragonforce despite their tackiness. Not put off by extreme metal, but the clarity of what they're playing is often missing...

Am still keeping up (all downstrokes - that's the barometer) with Master of Puppets and Kill 'Em All, and Rust In Peace, while still chasing my holy grail - nailing Fight Fire With Fire from RT Lightning...can't stop turning the beat on its head at that speed, an ongoing problem since 1989, but worth the perseverance...anyone who understands this paragraph is cool...

Never learned Rust in Piece, but no doubt, when in my late teens, Master of Puppets was what gave me the picking speed I have now I reckon. Smashing that is still intense. It is still considered a barometer as such. I know the turning the beat on it's head thing, might actually try and play it properly and see how I go. Welcome to this longstanding thread.

Thanks mate. I've slowed that song down about 20% in the past, and been able to feel the groove, but as soon as it's back to maximum the lyrics throw me right off! Have considered learning it by throwing in a few 7/8 bars or similar and displacing the riffs half a beat, but...nahh...! Get it right, however long it takes...

Hey Destruktor - was it you guys who played with Krisiun in 09? Met you after the gig at the Tote Hotel. If it was you, I found you guys as people to be very humble and down to earth, but with a serious attitude problem when an instrument's in your hand, and the chops to back it up; exactly what a metal band is supposed to be!

Hey Destruktor - was it you guys who played with Krisiun in 09? Met you after the gig at the Tote Hotel. If it was you, I found you guys as people to be very humble and down to earth, but with a serious attitude problem when an instrument's in your hand, and the chops to back it up; exactly what a metal band is supposed to be!

Yeah man,that's me/us. Nice words man, love what I do, but there is some underlying intent. We are playing a gig in Melbourne with Sinister soon, and also in Geelong. I mgiht put a little post in here about it. Would be good to have some brother metalhead hawks there!!

Look, they probably aren't really metal these days, but the new Opeth record is a pretty great piece of heavy prog rock. Much more melodic than Heritage. Their best release since Ghost Reveries.

That said, I'm in the mood for some metal now, so on to Vektor's Outer Isolation.

Last edited:
Anyone go to Carcass a few mths back?

Still the best metal band of all time, new album is insane.

Look, they probably aren't really metal these days, but the new Opeth record is a pretty great piece of heavy prog rock. Much more melodic than Heritage. Their best release since Ghost Reveries.
I'm listening to it now. It's pretty darn good.

Anyone go to Carcass a few mths back?

Still the best metal band of all time, new album is insane.

I was forced to miss it - had to spend the week instructing in court, and didn't want to f*ck it up. I was bummed out too, as I was there when they came out in 08 was it? That was a great show.

Looking forward to Cannibal Corpse in a couple of week's time!

Is anyone going to the Sinister gig in Melbourne??

Didn't go to Carcass. I miss most gigs these days, but do get up a couple of times a year for select gigs. I am going to Sinister by default as we are supporting, but would've been tempted to go to this one anyway.

Is anyone going to the Sinister gig in Melbourne??

Didn't go to Carcass. I miss most gigs these days, but do get up a couple of times a year for select gigs. I am going to Sinister by default as we are supporting, but would've been tempted to go to this one anyway.

I will. Really like Sinister - Diabolical Summoning my favourite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just noticed that Gorguts are touring. 14 November at the Northcote Social Club. That's a band that I never expected to see live.

Not that long ago I was looking at Marduk's website and noticed that they toured Europe in 2013 playing Panzer Division Marduk and Those of the Unlight in their entirety. "Why does Europe get all the good shows?" I asked myself. Guess what they're doing in Australia in January?

Just noticed that Gorguts are touring. 14 November at the Northcote Social Club. That's a band that I never expected to see live.

Not that long ago I was looking at Marduk's website and noticed that they toured Europe in 2013 playing Panzer Division Marduk and Those of the Unlight in their entirety. "Why does Europe get all the good shows?" I asked myself. Guess what they're doing in Australia in January?
Yeah, PORTAL are playing with Gorguts. Have you seen them? A twisted, sonic head*. I might go down, I didn't mind a bit of Gorguts, got into them through the classic Monsters of Death Compilation.

Hey there fellas. Been a lurker on the Bigfooty site for while now, had no idea this thread existed however! Who would have thought my two favourite subjects (Hawthorn and Metal) would combine! Inspired me to open an account.. May Dio bless this final series.. Good to meet you all

Hey there fellas. Been a lurker on the Bigfooty site for while now, had no idea this thread existed however! Who would have thought my two favourite subjects (Hawthorn and Metal) would combine! Inspired me to open an account.. May Dio bless this final series.. Good to meet you all

It's a pleasure to have you here Strattonsphere! I too lurked for a while, but I'm glad I've started to get involved. We look forward to hearing from you.

Yeah. Good to see a bit of activity here lately, and to also see that in most regards, it has been kept to metal.

I started this thread bloody 7 years ago or something, and like Strattonsphere, hawks and Metal are the two main passions in life.

Would be killer to see some fellow BigFooty fiends of metal at on of our next gigs, in Geelong in October and November, and in November with Sinister. Say g'day, support local extreme metal.

Here is a link to check out a nasty version of Besieged, which has just been released as a split 7"with Polish maniacs Throneum.

Yeah. Good to see a bit of activity here lately, and to also see that in most regards, it has been kept to metal.

I started this thread bloody 7 years ago or something, and like Strattonsphere, hawks and Metal are the two main passions in life.

Would be killer to see some fellow BigFooty fiends of metal at on of our next gigs, in Geelong in October and November, and in November with Sinister. Say g'day, support local extreme metal.

Here is a link to check out a nasty version of Besieged, which has just been released as a split 7"with Polish maniacs Throneum.

whats a spilt 7" ?

also more Guitar solo less blast beats

juz sayin....

Last edited:
whats a spilt 7" ?

also more Guitar solo less blast beats

juz sayin....

Not your thing, simple. We will not add more leads. I think there is only two leads on our next album. Though not all of our stuff blasts quite this much, we are known for being on the more extreme side of things.

A 7" is a vinyl record, the smaller size. A split means it has more than one band, generally 2, as is the case with this release.

I'll be checking out Sinister when they come down to Tassie.. Will be great. Shame you guys aren't following them around the country!

So Dutch Death Metal legends Sinister are playing in Geelong Sunday Arvo/Evening, fortunately we got the backing slot. This also applies to the Monday gig in Melbourne. Is anyone going to see this?? It's bloody great to get a band like Sinister to our shores. The early stuff is killer, and they will be playing plenty of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back