The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a well rounded album, will feature highly in my end of year list. I think it'll take multiple listens for it to really sink in though, and it's a pretty big departure from GKMC and s.80.

As I mentioned in the 2015 music thread, I held off on listening to The Blacker The Berry until the album dropped just so I could truly appreciate it. Unsurprisingly it's my favourite song off the album. I also said this:

------

So far my favourites apart from TBTB are Alright and Hood Politics. I can tell that it's going to be an album that takes a little longer to appreciate. As many others have mentioned, there are no 'bangers' like Backseat Freestyle or a number of other songs on GKMC but maybe this album is more cohesive? I'm not sure yet. GKMC is one of the best hip hop albums this century. I'll be interested to read the reviews for this album.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took a few listens but Kendrick just dropped another classic in my opinion. It's a different sound to what most rap is nowadays and i think that'll throw people off, especially after the absolute bangers on GKMC. This is Kendrick's Yeesus, a huge risk, but unlike Yeesus, this isn't garbage.

Having only heard The Blacker The Berry, I was surprised and sightly disappointed with the album on my initial listen, I wanted more of that Kendrick, GKMC is still in heavy rotation for me. Gave it another shot later in the night and you really do need to listen to the whole album in one sitting, everything just flows so well from track to track, besides For Free, cant even force myself to like that s**t. There's a few other weak tracks that wont make it onto my playlist.

Favourites so far:
Blacker The Berry
How Much A Dollar Cost
Hood Politics (still not feeling the chorus though, boo boo :$)
Wesley's Theory
Mortal Man
King Kunta (probably the weakest track lyrically but so damn catchy, especially the chorus)

Where GKMC was an amazing club/car banger album, To Pimp a Butterfly is an amazing chill out album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back