Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

how’s everyone adjusting to working from home? Aware there is a general thread on this but interested to hear lawyers’ perspectives.

I think legal practice won’t be the same even if this blows over. Firms will realise the cost/liability savings that can be achieved by having a workforce that is largely work from home. Courts will also realise the efficiency of remote hearings (think how much time is wasted at directions hearings/winding up and TFM cattle calls waiting to be called on - and the amount of lawyers/barristers that have made a career of these appearances and the sitting around that goes hand in hand with them) and in my view will keep in place a lot of the measures implemented in this time.

also what’s the general consensus as to job security, work that is going to flow out of this? What is your firm doing? Stand-downs/paycuts/redundancies?

Interested to hear any and all perspectives.

The practice I work at is IR/ER focused and predominantly in the health and aged care industry. A number of clients are real estate and registered & licensed clubs so the last week and the next few weeks creates a lot of work but their needs will subside unfortunately as the government resurrections continue. The aged care and health work is still there but it’s a moving feast so who knows.

It’ll be refreshing that the Courts and Commissions become agile and properly adapt technology.

What area are you working in? Where is the red pen coming from? Partner or SA level?

It’s completely natural to have a lot of corrections in your first few years of practice - let alone first six months. I have known partners to correct unnecessary s**t just to make a point so don’t get too downhearted. Also keep in mind that midlevel lawyers charge for reviewing grads’ work and need to justify those entries with changes that may not be strictly necessary.

Learn what the person who signs off on your work wants and keep that in mind from the outset. Ask for feedback at regular intervals from the appropriate people.

As someone who has worked with a few grads - I much prefer someone who has a go. Be resilient.

I work in private practice in the US in a fully remote role. It has made my job much more bearable. I will have billed 2200 hours (including pro bono) by the end of 2022, and yet I feel fresher than I ever remember feeling in the past while practicing law.

Among the highlights, busy periods at work don’t mean that I miss out on family life, there is less performative bs around the office (face time was a thing for much of my early career), staying fit is significantly easier, and I’m not trapped living in a high cost area close to the office.

The biggest downside is the impact on relationship development. I have less people who I can rely upon in a crisis, and playing politics to make partner is a whole lot more difficult. But in the overall scheme of things I’m as happy as I’ve ever been as a lawyer right now.

Who’s made the transition from private to in house here? Any stories?

I work in corporate law and the temptation is always there - dangled like a carrot whilst I’m hauling arse on deals till midnight. But I’d like to know if the grass is actually greener…

Who’s made the transition from private to in house here? Any stories?

I work in corporate law and the temptation is always there - dangled like a carrot whilst I’m hauling arse on deals till midnight. But I’d like to know if the grass is actually greener…
My understanding doesn't come from doing it, but from working with people who have made the transition - your enjoyment and success may largely depending on your personality and work type. In-house can be a bit more administrative, but it tends to also be a lot more of a holistic view type of role - and this doesnt suit all people who choose to get into law.

You are not just tasked with answering specific questions, but instead the job is about identifying and mitigating risks on a broad spectrum. If you see yourself as someone with more of a commercial lens, then its probably a good fit.

hoping some people on here can help me

background: JD grad from melb uni. did not do any clerkships (mistake i know). worked in a volunteer role as a law clerk for 6 months at a small criminal / family firm but aside from that no real experience working in the field

situation: commence a graduate role in litigation soon. want to know what i should be expecting with things like what are the most important skills to develop, whether i should choose to do part time or full time PLT whilst working full time and just generally what some of the more experienced lawyers here think someone about to commence in the field should know.

background: JD grad from melb uni. did not do any clerkships (mistake i know). worked in a volunteer role as a law clerk for 6 months at a small criminal / family firm but aside from that no real experience working in the field

situation: commence a graduate role in litigation soon. want to know what i should be expecting with things like what are the most important skills to develop, whether i should choose to do part time or full time PLT whilst working full time and just generally what some of the more experienced lawyers here think someone about to commence in the field should know.
So you are about to join a firm? Depending on the size of the firm, they should really be dictating whether PLT is full or part time

PLT really is not hard though and full time is usually manageable. It is a rort and a rip-off. If your JD marks were decent you can do PLT with your eyes closed.

So you are about to join a firm? Depending on the size of the firm, they should really be dictating whether PLT is full or part time

PLT really is not hard though and full time is usually manageable. It is a rort and a rip-off. If your JD marks were decent you can do PLT with your eyes closed.
above average marks in the JD. medium sized firm (15~ odd lawyers not incl other staff) and are open to me deciding either way but leaning full time based on this post and what others have told me

above average marks in the JD. medium sized firm (15~ odd lawyers not incl other staff) and are open to me deciding either way but leaning full time based on this post and what others have told me
PLT is an absolute lark. If you think you can get out of the office around 6pm most nights and you will have free weekends, no-brainer to do it full-time.

do plt in whatever way the firm wants you to do it, they will have had grads before.

1. be organized and easy to work with.
2. focus on writing in a structured and concise way.
3. with litigation, learn the court rules and filing processes.
4. you will make mistakes (everyone does) but don't make the same mistake twice.

worth keeping in mind that if someone's asking for your help with research - they do not know the answer and there may not even be an answer so don't get too disheartened.

but make sure you can show you have had a look and attempted some analysis. put a summary at the start of any note.

It’s not a mistake that you didn’t do clerkships. If you avoided them and landed a grad role then you’ve done it perfectly. Clerkships are only a way to get a grad role, they offer little value outside that.

PLT is a fair pisstake, I’d knock it off as soon as you can, don’t bother with part time.

I work front end so can’t give much advice about working in lit specifically. But generally speaking be inquisitive and show an interest in learning how everything fits together rather than doing your discrete task and waiting for the next one. When grads rotate through I like the ones that show a genuine passion and interest in the area of law rather than clocking in, doing the work then clocking out. It will only work long term if there is that hunger and curiosity there. Plus you’ll only get that commercial nous that everyone values so highly if you learn to see the whole picture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back