The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Zullo could possibly also become available in the coming weeks and he would be a very handy acquisition.

deal done according to the age.

Franjic -Chapman (Kisnorbo) - Hughes -Zullo

A fair upgrade on the back 4 who started our last campaign.

If this uruguayan can stick the thing in the net a dozen or so times, might be set for a solid season. Some real speed down the flanks when you throw in Novillo as well.

deal done according to the age.

Franjic -Chapman (Kisnorbo) - Hughes -Zullo

A fair upgrade on the back 4 who started our last campaign.

If this uruguayan can stick the thing in the net a dozen or so times, might be set for a solid season. Some real speed down the flanks when you throw in Novillo as well.
That's arguably the best back 4 in the league. I think our side should be something like:

Velaphi
Franjic - Kisnorbo - Hughes - Zullo
Koren - Paartalu - Melling
Samaras - Fornarelli - Novillo
Dat forward line.

That's arguably the best back 4 in the league. I think our side should be something like:

Velaphi
Franjic - Kisnorbo - Hughes - Zullo
Koren - Paartalu - Melling
Samaras - Fornarelli - Novillo
Dat forward line.
I doubt Samaras will be signed. JVS played it in a game or two last year so I wouldn't be surprised if we played with 3 at the back this season. Something like:

Velaphi/New GK
Chapman - Kisnorbo - Hughes
Franjic - Paartalu - Mooy - Zullo
Koren
Fornarelli/Gameiro - Novillo

Obviously that's dependent on Mooy staying but I guess you could swap him with Melling. I would also include Kuzmanovski in that front two rotation as well.

smells a bit like a bid to be the Aussie marquee. We could do worse & free up a spot for another Aussie.

I've got to admit, I don't really get the whole 'Australian marquee' thing. Kennedy (who was our marquee) is gone, Mooy would now be (I suspect) our highest paid Australian by a fair way...doesn't that automatically make him Melbourne City's Australian marquee by default, unless there's another huge non-visa signing on more money than Mooy (I doubt Franjic or Zullo would command that sort of money)?

I've got to admit, I don't really get the whole 'Australian marquee' thing. Kennedy (who was our marquee) is gone, Mooy would now be (I suspect) our highest paid Australian by a fair way...doesn't that automatically make him Melbourne City's Australian marquee by default, unless there's another huge non-visa signing on more money than Mooy (I doubt Franjic or Zullo would command that sort of money)?
Nah, I'm pretty sure there has to be a stipulation in the contract given to the player that they're the marquee and the club also have to indicate who the designated marquees are on the squad lists they submit to the league to ensure that they're not counted as part of the salary cap. If Mooy is kept as marquee then he'll be offered a new contract with a much larger salary I would imagine.

Nah, I'm pretty sure there has to be a stipulation in the contract given to the player that they're the marquee and the club also have to indicate who the designated marquees are on the squad lists they submit to the league to ensure that they're not counted as part of the salary cap. If Mooy is kept as marquee then he'll be offered a new contract with a much larger salary I would imagine.

Fair enough. It seems a bit counter-productive to getting the best standard of competition as possible to be so rigid on it.

yea you have to nominate in order to get the cap relief. Hopefully we can give him a multi year deal, front-loaded effectively so he can go onto near base after it, and help us out there.

Other pending issue is the rumoured Sorensen v Germano for the last visa spot. We obviously need another keeper, not sure a visa spot is ideal but it seems we have concentrated on the back positions heavily this off-season.

yea you have to nominate in order to get the cap relief. Hopefully we can give him a multi year deal, front-loaded effectively so he can go onto near base after it, and help us out there.

Other pending issue is the rumoured Sorensen v Germano for the last visa spot. We obviously need another keeper, not sure a visa spot is ideal but it seems we have concentrated on the back positions heavily this off-season.

Someone like Covic would have been ideal, if he was willing to give Velaphi first shot at the #1 spot and step in if Velaphi's form dropped. Covic out and Redmayne in seems like a hell of a drop in quality. It would appear though that Covic still feels like he's good enough to be a first choice GK and earn first choice money, which is fair enough.

It's a tough one, because Tando barely put a foot wrong when he became the first-choice at the middle of last year, but most City supporters that I know seem pretty sceptical about his ability to maintain that level. And with literally no backup yet in the A-League squad, a loss of form/injury to Tando would be a serious issue.

Someone like Covic would have been ideal, if he was willing to give Velaphi first shot at the #1 spot and step in if Velaphi's form dropped. Covic out and Redmayne in seems like a hell of a drop in quality. It would appear though that Covic still feels like he's good enough to be a first choice GK and earn first choice money, which is fair enough.

It's a tough one, because Tando barely put a foot wrong when he became the first-choice at the middle of last year, but most City supporters that I know seem pretty sceptical about his ability to maintain that level. And with literally no backup yet in the A-League squad, a loss of form/injury to Tando would be a serious issue.
We're probably promoting one of our Youth League keepers.

If he signs a new deal it will almost certainly be as the marquee player so I don't think it will matter how the contract is structured. CFG have that much money that Mooy's salary would barely regester.
We're probably promoting one of our Youth League keepers.
I actually think we will end up signing Sorensen. It's an interesting one though, because Velaphi was fairly solid last season after he cam into the team but on the other hand it's better to have two good keepers competing with each other.

If he signs a new deal it will almost certainly be as the marquee player so I don't think it will matter how the contract is structured. CFG have that much money that Mooy's salary would barely regester.

I actually think we will end up signing Sorensen. It's an interesting one though, because Velaphi was fairly solid last season after he cam into the team but on the other hand it's better to have two good keepers competing with each other.
Sorensen is PL standard. Would easily be the best A-League keeper if he signed here.

Sorensen is PL standard. Would easily be the best A-League keeper if he signed here.
I completely agree. I guess the question though is whether using the visa spot on a keeper a waste of an international player. Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's not a waste but it is a discussion worth having.

I completely agree. I guess the question though is whether using the visa spot on a keeper a waste of an international player. Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's not a waste but it is a discussion worth having.
With our defence with him in front of it we'd barely concede. If he wants to come out, you can't say no to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wp_ss_20150716_0004.png

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_tumblr_n8i8h7SRF21r5n0bgo1_500.gif

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON !!! :)

So we're playing our mother club tomorrow. What sort of side do we want? Personally, I was thinking:

Velaphi
Franjic - Kisnorbo - Chapman - Zullo
Mooy - Paartalu - Koren
Williams - Gameiro - Novillo​

So we're playing our mother club tomorrow. What sort of side do we want? Personally, I was thinking:

Velaphi
Franjic - Kisnorbo - Chapman - Zullo
Mooy - Paartalu - Koren
Williams - Gameiro - Novillo​

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine that Gameiro would be match fit yet.

I liked the look of Novillo and Koren yesterday. Unfortunately their great work wasn't rewarded in goals. Retre was decent at RB as well, I think we have a solid back up if Franjic goes down at least.

- Bruno Fornaroli new striker signing
- Mooy staying
- Sorensen signing
- Samaras definetely not coming
- Germano maybe fitting under the new "Archie" rule.

Also maybe expect a surprise if this joke of an administration changes the Aussie marquee rule before transfer window closes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back