The Doctor

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2001
In the number 19 jumper
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
The thread on Terry Wheeler got me thinking about some of the tenacious, tough and downright dirty players who have represented our club. We've had a few over the years. So I've cobbled a team together but need a bit of help.

To be eligible for selection in the Mongel Dogs team the player must have been at least on one notorious occassion; reported, had a blue, cheated, sneaky, a sledger, first man in to help a team mate in a stoush, a notorious trouble maker, gave a backhander, ferocious, fearless, made team mates walk taller, naughty, did anything to disadvatange thE opposition!!!!

The Mongrel Dogs

B: Wheeler, Kennedy, Kretiuk
HB: Dent, Foster, Southern
C: Hawkins, Romero,
HF: McPherson, Groenewagon
F: Kolyniuk, Delre,
R: Wynd, Dimmatina, Liberatore
Int: Ellis, Tzatzaris

There are a few positions to fill. let us know who you would add to the team and why?

Steve Wallis should in there. Some of his hip and shoulders really knocked his opponents. Heady and Hickmont are just two that I can remember. Mark West is another I would have considered.
Koster was an annoying tagger as was Wira, Paul Gow tried to rough up Dermie. There are a few others and I will see what I can come up with.

Originally posted by OldSchool
Paul Gow tried to rough up Dermie.
Yes maybe OS but you have to be half decent as well.
Lynton Fitzpatrick pretty hard but very negative.
Cookie could be dirty. Mainly stupid but also dirty.
Bernard Toohey deserves a spot on the bench at least.
Robbie McGhie? He was definetely scary
Both MacPherson brothers deserve a spot.

Why is Wynd in there? I always felt he was a very fair player, can't remember any incidents involving him being a mongrel...........

In terms of ruckman I'd say Darcy is more of a mongrel. Ivan Marsh who played around the early 60's might be appropriate.

Originally posted by The Doctor
reported, had a blue, cheated, sneaky, a sledger, first man in to help a team mate in a stoush, a notorious trouble maker, gave a backhander, ferocious, fearless, made team mates walk taller, naughty, did anything to disadvatange thE opposition!!!!
Scott Wynd did a few of these

Ian Salmon had very naughty elbows I would have him in the ruck. He knew how to clear a space.

Also we should find a place for Andy Preston he only played a couple of games but in one I can remember him pinning an opponent to the ground with his knees and banging his head on the ground. A complete psycho.

You could even mount a place for Simon Beasley. He knocked Keith Greig out at VFL park in the mid-80s. It was pretty ugly.

Originally posted by SonOfScray
Laurie Sandilands

As I've said in another thread, I saw Sandilands sit Neil Balme and Ricky McLean on their a*** one day at the Geelong Rd end at the Western Oval. Two of the biggest and supposedly toughest guys going around at the time in short sharp flurry.

I also saw Dempsey decide to put aside all those Brownlow votes one day as Robert Muir ran past. Dempsey hung out one of his huge wings and collected Muir who went down like a bag of ****.

Definitely put Wallis in for some of the best shirtfronts.

Stephen Powell picking off ??? at the opening bounce of that Collingwood game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken Greenwood at Geelong. He was in the ruck but was put on Doug Wade to keep him quite.

It was right in front of our very eyes. Ken was elbowing and standing on feet and pushing back.

Just then the ball came down and Ken hit it away and did something unseen to Wade at the same time. This made Wade strike Greenwood on the face. Everybody saw it. It was a slap. like a girl's slap.

We started screaming out "Report him, report him, report him!!! Well the umpire just had to report him after that. Ha ha ha ha ha, he got a week. Didn't kick another goal for the match, some consolation for a close loss. Greenwood was the innocent and aggrieved victim of that big bully Wade.

Can someone give the details on how Delrae got it?
Just a bit before my time in terms of seeing him play regularly so I can't suggest any reasons why...

Wynd couldn't really be involved in such a team.....
Only time (other then wrestling) he made the Tribunal was the smack to Stynes head in 96. Even Stynes helped him off.

Does anyone remember 96 V collingwood MCG (under Wallace -throw up game)?

Darc got the ball inside F50 and moved forward a bit too much (Ump calls play on) Darc looks up at the goals and thinks he can kick it BUT Gavin Crosisca was in his way.
Darc let the guy charge like a bull at him and Darc gave him the 'swat away' shoulder flick that knocked the guy out!
Out came the stretcher and the SMACK that was heard in the Great Southern Stand!!!:eek:

Danny Delre best mongrel act was the time he threw Saints Russell Morris around like a rag doll.
He had a little run in with the game record holder Michael Tuck.
Danny was a big boy and wouldn't take a backward step.

Originally posted by TheWackedYak

The lack of current players says a lot about last year, doesn't it?

I dunno about that!! Rumour has it that Heath Black wanted to go back to Freo to get away from Shaggy's right hook, not anything to do with St. Kilda.

That was a great brawl, took me back to the old days.

Also Johnno against Essendon in 2000 - who can forget the brawling in that game, and the sledging Johnno gave to John Barnes at the siren - classic stuff

Try this:

Sutton Kennedy Southern

Kretiuk Whitten Wheeler

Mc Pherson Ross Bryant

Newlands Edmond Romero

Marsh Sandilands Huppatz

Foll: Hampshire C Mc Donald Libba

Int: Hoiles G Ion

Originally posted by dogman22
I dunno about that!! Rumour has it that Heath Black wanted to go back to Freo to get away from Shaggy's right hook, not anything to do with St. Kilda.

Dogman...

the gist was that we were manhandled all year. I got a ripper view of the Hargreave punch and it was as good a punch as you'd see thrown on a footy field, but between being too short and skinny and taking a rugby approach to moving the ball forward (ie laterally), we still finished 16th. Here's hoping the 2004 Dogs contribute to a new all-mongrel team.

Originally posted by John Gent
Try this:

Sutton Kennedy Southern

Kretiuk Whitten Wheeler

Mc Pherson Ross Bryant

Newlands Edmond Romero

Marsh Sandilands Huppatz

Foll: Hampshire C Mc Donald Libba

Int: Hoiles G Ion

Excellent - someone managed to squeeze EJ in.
Peter Welsh wasn't too rough from memory but there was one day when he took a mark, someone ran in to tackle him and he stuck his elbow in their face.
What about Bubba - he goes off at times.

The team wouldn't be complete without Shane Loveless at full forward, he was a trained boxer as well as his many other skills (including eating) and there wasn't a full back in the comp who would take him on in a fight and win. Bruce Doull tried it at the WO one day when Loveless took his headband and came off second best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back