Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahaha ...Snap I was just selecting some Cat Stevens songs and you beat me to it!

Here's one from me ...

Cat Stevens-Underrated, or forgotten?

Not many have heard O Caritas, but pretty profound song.

HoopsAhoy, are we related? By music, yes.
Love her voice, Different Drum is my #1.
Lol - I agree on the music connection. I'm coming up to 54 and have very little time for much of the dross produced in the last 20 years or so. When people ask me about current music I say I don't follow much now as I was lucky enough to live through the 60's, 70's, 80's when people and bands produced a rich variety of great music and lyrics - more than enough to last me the rest of my life. Why would I want to listen to crap when I have such a rich back catalogue to listen to and then throw in the 50's, 40's and even some 30's for good measure (as well as classical and select opera).

Cat Stevens-Underrated, or forgotten?

Not many have heard O Caritas, but pretty profound song.
Yes it is - not sure why Cat Stevens is overlooked - probably not helped by him converting to Islam decades ago and trying to stop his songs being played. Pity - he was very talented musically and lyrically.

Judy Collins has a great voice too...doing her version of Joni Mitchell's song (another great female singer)

And another that others have covered but rarely as well as her...

Booker T and the MGs ...

haven't heard of them before- but there are a millions singers that I've never heard of ;) ...

Edit- scratch that. I just listened to the songs and I know the music but didn't know the group.

has anyone posted any Jon English songs yet? Maybe I already have :oops: There are a few that I like- particularly this one:

* gotta love those bright yellow flares! :D Sorry- s**t synch but had to post it for the yellow flares ;)

and this:

This song goes back much further - to the 1850s - pre US Civil War, but is as pertinent today as when first written. Great version by some really great singers (Kate McGarrigle died in 2010 and she was married to Louden Wainright III who has the novelty song "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road".)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This song goes back much further - to the 1850s - pre US Civil War, but is as pertinent today as when first written. Great version by some really great singers (Kate McGarrigle died in 2010 and she was married to Louden Wainright III who has the novelty song "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road".)

ha- used to sing the dead skunk song when we were kiddies ;)

I had a hard time convincing my kids that I had heard WWoL before they were born and that their music wasn't new ;)

Ha! Nothing changes! I had a similar argument with my mother 40 years ago over this song which I was convinced was a *NEW* song...:D

... which she claimed was a song that was around when she was young in the 1940's (it actually goes back to 1917!!!) :eek:

Ha! Nothing changes! I had a similar argument with my mother 40 years ago over this song which I was convinced was a *NEW* song...:D

... which she claimed was a song that was around when she was young in the 1940's (it actually goes back to 1917!!!) :eek:

lol
I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same, hey? :) It's amazing how the different beat really changes the song, isn't it? If I hadn't heard the words, I'd not have recognised how similar the tune was.

I liked TMG :) Really enjoyed singing Jump In My Car :)

I used to love the National Geographic documentaries during the 1970's and especially the Jacques Cousteau documentaries which inspired this joyous John Denver song that is great to sing along with at volume! :rainbow:

I used to love the National Geographic documentaries during the 1970's and especially the Jacques Cousteau documentaries which inspired this joyous John Denver song that is great to sing along with at volume! :rainbow:

ALL John Denver songs are great to sing along with at volume! Yes, love that one as well.
I love belting out this one-

and this as well-

What a tragic end for JD - a huge loss to the music industry!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back