The Next Big Thing - Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he was pointing out that jake neade was the tackler when he broke his leg

So he was. Still a bit tenuous to link it to Port Adelaide. Shame for Jake as he was touted a potential #1 pick at that stage, but great for the Bulldogs in the end.

When you look at it if Jake went higher than what we took him at pick 5 we'd likely have picked up Jimmy Toumpas..

Jake+Stringer+TAC+Cup+Rd+1+North+Ballarat+jLaEg8E4z6ll.jpg

Jake+Stringer+TAC+Cup+Rd+1+North+Ballarat+WQ_WnSGEQQCl.jpg

Dogs fans are taking pressure off Boyd...
He could kick 40 or 50, but I doubt he'll be a superstar forward. I'd caution the dogs in to building a forward line even with him as the 2nd big forward. Thankfully now they have Boyd he wont be the main man, that would've ended in disaster.

He has smarts and strength, but not height or athleticism.

A little bigger, clever but not as freakish but a bit like Stevie J I think. The number of goals he kicks in the video above running in to an open (or close to) goal shows he's got really good smarts.

So for him to really be the level of freak player than the OP is suggesting then I think he'll have to be a regular midfielder. There are only a handful of players and not even every year that are truly top of top who are medium sized forward.
He's fast and nothing like Jarrad Grant who has talent and blinding speed, but not the bulk and attitude to be a gun. Like Menzel, he must be pretty dedicated after suffering a serious injury as a junior.

So to put it in short your opinion is he'll be even a level (or more) up from Macrae and the Bont?
I honestly reckon he will be. Bonts ceiling is also huge so wouldn't be surprised if he ended up the best but at this stage if you gave me the choice between those 3 I'd quite easily take Jake.

He's one of the most exciting kids I've seen at the dogs and he just seems ready to explode this year. People really don't understand how far back he's coming from after that leg injury but this preseason he has completely transformed his running gait and has gotten his tank up to (just) AFL standard. I could quite easily see him kicking 40-50 goals if he stayed forward this year, but I think he will start to spend a lot more time up the ground, either in a high half forward role and a few more bursts in the guts. I've got no doubt his best will come in the middle and I've been saying that since day 1 when he was playing deep forward, he just looks like a midfielder through traffic.

She compared Ollie and Jake and didn't speak too highly of Stringer as a person. Seems while Ollie was always the gun junior but also great person Stringer was the same on the field but a much more arrogant version off it.
A few who know him say "he's as arrogant as the sun is bright".
Finally - it's what we need. Too many nice-guy players.

A few who know him say "he's as arrogant as the sun is bright".
Finally - it's what we need. Too many nice-guy players.

Exactly. The way he tore apart St Kilda late last year displayed his arrogance. He was running through any player who tried to get in his way, made seasoned footballers like Sam Gilbert, James Gwilt and Sam Fisher look like schoolkids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit early - Stringer's still got a long way to go. He kicked 22 in 9 games but 13 of them were against GWS, St Kilda or Melbourne, with a further four coming against Essendon (his best game). He kicked a total of five goals in the remaining games against Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Sydney. Still has a bit to prove against the premier defenders.

Personally I agree with some - I think he'll be a very good forward, but I can't see him being an elite forward. To reach the elite level he simply has to make the midfield transition in my opinion - and we've seen only minimal signs that he can do so at this point. He's been exceptional in the middle at VFL level but his fitness is still a significant way away from being a factor there at AFL level. Hopefully he can get there.

All that said, very happy with his development and am extremely excited to see what he can become. Just think you've gone a bit too early.

Stringer's the most talented player on our list, but I'm reluctant to label him the next big thing. I'd go into detail, but I'd be repeating what Dannn said. I'm still a big fan of his work as a forward and think he could be elite in that role, but he'll be most valuable to the team in the midfield.

And yes, he's as confident and self-assured as the day is long, but he's a nice bloke. Arrogant has negative connotations, I wouldn't describe him as such having spoken to him a few times.

Oh yes, will be a dead set gun.. why not just call him Ablett Snr, oh wait because he won't be half the player. more delusional the Rod Stroker.

I don't think OP realises how hard it is to kick 50 goals in a season of AFL. Last year 10 players in the league did it. You really think Jake Stringer is going to be a top 10 forward in the league this season?

A bit early - Stringer's still got a long way to go. He kicked 22 in 9 games but 13 of them were against GWS, St Kilda or Melbourne, with a further four coming against Essendon (his best game). He kicked a total of five goals in the remaining games against Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Sydney. Still has a bit to prove against the premier defenders.

Personally I agree with some - I think he'll be a very good forward, but I can't see him being an elite forward. To reach the elite level he simply has to make the midfield transition in my opinion - and we've seen only minimal signs that he can do so at this point. He's been exceptional in the middle at VFL level but his fitness is still a significant way away from being a factor there at AFL level. Hopefully he can get there.

All that said, very happy with his development and am extremely excited to see what he can become. Just think you've gone a bit too early.
Why don't you think he could be an elite forward? He has literally everything except a few cms that you want. Extremely quick off the mark, reads the play and times his leads brilliantly, great in the air, even better at ground level, deadly set shot (except for that little rough patch), kicks goals for fun from anywhere inside 60, great in a one on one.

I want him to, and believe he will, move to the midfield but if we left him forward I can't see anything possibly holding him back from being elite up there. He's going to have it a hugeeee amount easier with Boyd there now too.

Why don't you think he could be an elite forward? He has literally everything except a few cms that you want. Extremely quick off the mark, reads the play and times his leads brilliantly, great in the air, even better at ground level, deadly set shot (except for that little rough patch), kicks goals for fun from anywhere inside 60, great in a one on one.

I want him to, and believe he will, move to the midfield but if we left him forward I can't see anything possibly holding him back from being elite up there. He's going to have it a hugeeee amount easier with Boyd there now too.
I don't think he's as good a mark as many Bulldogs supporters make him out to be. His contested marking especially hasn't transitioned from juniors to seniors as yet. He's dropped a hell of a lot of marks that he should be eating for breakfast - the worst of which led me to sit in a corner and weep a little in round 23. You know the one I'm talking about. His marking on the lead is ok but he still tends to get himself out of position. I don't think he's as good a set shot as you make out either - his "little rough patch" lasted most of the season and needs to improve. Most of these things can be worked on but I'm just not totally sold on him getting to that elite level as a forward. As a midfielder though - absolutely: his burst is fantastic, he's incredibly difficult to tackle, he's damaging by foot and he's really good at winning the contested ball.

Overall, love him forward and think he'll be very good, but I'm just concerned he doesn't have enough to trouble the real top-line defenders on a consistent basis unless his marking improves significantly. He needs to be consistently troubling those guys to be classified as 'elite'. I'm not sure I see it - but of course, would be extremely happy to be wrong.

Overall, love him forward and think he'll be very good, but I'm just concerned he doesn't have enough to trouble the real top-line defenders on a consistent basis unless his marking improves significantly. He needs to be consistently troubling those guys to be classified as 'elite'. I'm not sure I see it - but of course, would be extremely happy to be wrong.

This is one reason it's incredibly important for Tom Boyd to realize his potential...

Boyd and Stringer, if they CAN get to where their potential suggests they might - would be a nightmarish match up for any backline...you might be able to hold one back - but invariably you'd hope one gets off the chain more often than not.

We can only dream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back