Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fremantle, Hawthorn, Port and Adelaide are the 4 teams to beat us. Watching most of their games their best has been much better than our best this year.

We still have a lot of upside though. I think some people may have given up, but I think we can still get a top 4 spot.

...well we will know this time tomoz night.

I think we all expected to pick up from where we left off v Finals (bar Swans) and it hasn't happened.

...well we will know this time tomoz night.

I think we all expected to pick up from where we left off v Finals (bar Swans) and it hasn't happened.

I wasn't expecting us to be at our best, we had a lot of players (especially talls) under injury/rehab clouds. Additionally we went several weeks into finals so even though the pre season was longer we lost a couple of weeks relative to other teams. Probably the one thing I was expecting, that hasn't happened, is for our skills to be far better. I'm honestly not sure what is going on in that regards. I was also expecting us to be more competitive in a few games (Adelaide and the last part of the Hawthorn game), which has worried me a little bit.

based on what?

We have Dal and Wells to come back, who are two of our most skilled players. We have many players returning from LTI's in the next few weeks. The season is only a third of the way through. Some relatively average teams are currently punching above their weight and could conceivably return to the mean freeing up space in the top 4/8. Good/great teams have been dropping random games so aren't as high as they could be.

Mostly though, we haven't been playing at our best. A lot of players have a lot of upside if things suddenly start to click.

well the other thing you noted is we are playing ordinary, prolly cos we are ordinary.
That's one possibility. Or we could just be playing s**t at the moment and we might turn it around. Teams ebb and flow, and rarely manage to stay at the same consistency for extended periods. Even a lot of great teams * up, not that we're at that level (yet).

Fyfe v Dangerfield was like a heavyweight title fight over 15 rounds, fantastic contest from 2 big guns

They were magnificent. I also admired the courage, gut running and discipline of both teams. Slippery conditions made it a real slogfest. I loved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Lyons post game interview... want.
His teams, first and foremost, compete and are marked against the vision or trademark he creates of themselves as a team. Does ours even know what theirs is?

Watching Lyons post game interview... want.
His teams, first and foremost, compete and are marked against the vision or trademark he creates of themselves as a team. Does ours even know what theirs is?

Pre-game, Phil Walsh told the Adelaide players that for them to win, they would have to achieve certain numbers. He asked them after the game and they acknowledged that the numbers weren't achieved.

To this impartial observer who thought Adelaide had played great, we have been gradually conditioned to the honourable loss. But not Phil Walsh, it seems.

It will be interesting to see if the players who let the side down, and contributed to the loss, stay in next week.

Dangerfield 38 touches and a goal. 29 of then contested.

Fyfe 40 touches and a goal.

What I wouldn't give to have one midfielder of their calibre.

Was only saying to a mate the other day I'd love for North to draft a kid that burst onto the scene at a high level of skill like a Fyfe, Martin etc.

Last 10 yrs it's been a slow build for every player with not too many bursting onto the scene... closest maybe Turner but he's not exactly setting the ground alight at the moment.

Pre-game, Phil Walsh told the Adelaide players that for them to win, they would have to achieve certain numbers. He asked them after the game and they acknowledged that the numbers weren't achieved.

To this impartial observer who thought Adelaide had played great, we have been gradually conditioned to the honourable loss. But not Phil Walsh, it seems.

It will be interesting to see if the players who let the side down, and contributed to the loss, stay in next week.

The numbers required to win, was in fact the score.

Crows supporters shouldn't be disheartened by that loss. Great game.

Looks like the peptides have worn off *brownlowjobe, appears to be in VFL form atm, 17 disposals at 64% DE, :p

To think I was howled down by Bombres when I stated he wasn't the 12th best player in the competition (some ranking list).

Anyone tipping Saints in an upset?

Can't see how Lions are such strong favorites

Yep. Lions have got an edge in the midfield and ruck department but I think the Saints' bookends will hold up pretty well.

In happier news the *essendon autopsy thread is a good read; some posters are even admitting their donialism.

Last edited:
Was only saying to a mate the other day I'd love for North to draft a kid that burst onto the scene at a high level of skill like a Fyfe, Martin etc.

Last 10 yrs it's been a slow build for every player with not too many bursting onto the scene... closest maybe Turner but he's not exactly setting the ground alight at the moment.

Ziebell and Bastinac started off alright.

Seeing the incredible pressure the eagles are putting on the cats almost makes me wanna cry...they can't kick straight either but the pressure they're applying is so strong they still won't give the cats a sniff...wish we had Simmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back