Autopsy The not even The Bont, Libbas and Jones' heroics can drag us over the line against the cats thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately once again it was our forward line that didn’t function well, spoiling each other, Naughton, really should play defence, Marra needs to go back to the VFL and get some form. They are both our weak spot instead of our strength.

Apologies for not properly recognising the quote.

How much longer do we wait for this forward line to click and for Naughts to have a big game against a good team up forward?

He is and looks like will only ever be a good forward. JUH and Darcy as the talls, both Flea and West are good over head, surely we try Naughts at CHB where he could actually become great

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buku played very well I thought but he tackles with the strength of a wet tissue. Unfortunately he is not alone. We need Libba senior as a tackling coach.
Skill errors killed us and far too many passengers.
Got sick of every scrambled kick out of defence going to them. play in front, how hard can it be.
We got the VDM of old this week. I love his run and pressure but the skill, game awareness and clean hands don’t seem to be part of the package.

I see mention of us being the number 1 team transitioning from D50 to F50. A couple of things:

1) When do we ever turn this into goals? Getting it inside 50 has never been a problem. Even against WC I can’t remember a single goal where we took it the length of the ground for a goal.

2) Why the f*** is it still so easy for opposition teams to do exactly this to us? The worst situation for us is to have a throw-in in our forward pocket. A meek effort in the ruck plus broken tackle and we lay out the red carpet to goal.

Can’t fault the effort and plenty of positives to take out the game, especially the pressure, but we’re just not quite there yet.

Like we got a shade lucky with a lot of fumbles in tight when we had control, which could’ve been turned over pretty easy, but a defensive effort of Bont, Libba or Treloar would half recover it.

That’s part personnel, but mainly a lot of guys who are still building into the season. Our game doesn’t allow for those mistakes.

Despite that, I think we win with another key back. Cameron, Henry, Blicavs etc are a handful, sure, but none are good enough contested grabs to be getting so much easy ball in the air at half forward.

An O’Donnell even just halving a handful of them makes a huge difference.

Reminder that a long-time member from 2008 called "doggies ftw" got permanently banned and kicked off the site because Mofra the idiot thought he was me :$

I didn't even like the guy, but hey, that moron Mofra will always look to kick people with opinions he doesn't like off the site :D

I'll keep coming back though, always good fun to have a laugh at the delusional idiots like Brisdog and old Charlie Bucket.

Only doggies ftw would know that sort of detail.

This is psychopath behaviour. Get some help.

Obviously Libba and Bont were out of this world.

But I want to pay tribute to a few people who have gotten less love in this thread.

1. Treloar has put together his best 4 game stretch for us, at a time he should be easing up. He was immense tonight.
2. Cody Weightman is on his way to becoming the best pressure small forward in the game. 8 tackles tonight. EIGHT!!!
3. Sanders in game 4 was soooo good - 5 clearances, 6 tackles, 11 contested possessions. He is learning from Libba!

Just realised we had 7 players who did not lay a single tackle and 4 more who laid just 1, while Macrae the sub laid 3 in just over 20% of game time.

We relied far too heavily on Bont, Libba and Treloar tonight and they realistically could not have done any more.

Baker, Bramble, Dale, Daniel and Johannisen all had poor games in my opinion but I was particularly disappointed in Daniel. With spots on the line he dishes up a performance like that, a couple of really crucial unforced turnovers that lead to scores.

Love Vandermeer's pressure and run but his game awareness is just non-existent, he's been caught holding the ball in at least 3 of 4 matches this year Gallagher had a great first half but was very quiet in the second and gave away that 50 late in the game.
Love your work Oliver.

Just realised we had 7 players who did not lay a single tackle and 4 more who laid just 1, while Macrae the sub laid 3 in just over 20% of game time.

We relied far too heavily on Bont, Libba and Treloar tonight and they realistically could not have done any more.

Baker, Bramble, Dale, Daniel and Johannisen all had poor games in my opinion but I was particularly disappointed in Daniel. With spots on the line he dishes up a performance like that, a couple of really crucial unforced turnovers that lead to scores.

Love Vandermeer's pressure and run but his game awareness is just non-existent, he's been caught holding the ball in at least 3 of 4 matches this year Gallagher had a great first half but was very quiet in the second and gave away that 50 late in the game.
Wonder if there’s a broken or failed tackle stat for each player ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha trust you to be such a moron to not know how the site works, idiot.

You can't access his profile or even tag him with @. He is permanently banned you stupid r8etard LOL

Knowing I’m me, and you’re a deranged psychopath is enough for me to let your posts run like water off a ducks back.

Enjoy your strange unhinged life champo.

Can't fault the team for that loss, showed some determination. Some pretty egregious mistakes that cost some easy goals and we also missed some easy ones too. Umpiring had bad moments both ways.

Pretty laughable a few posters went for the ol' tried and true "it's Bevos bad coaching always the same"

Did we implement a plan for Stewart and limit the intercept marking? Check.

No mention of the Weightman switch to centre bounce when the game was slipping for a quick goal.

No "5 goal runs ons it's always the same".

We're definitely not perfect but gee whizz, some of the complaining on here is just pathetic and tired. Disappointing to even see one "seasoned" poster say recently "I hope we lose so Bevo can be sacked".

I agree there's definitely some issues but that was a hard fought game and we came up short. A couple of those bounces go the other way for Buku or free kicks we might've won.

Vandermeer would still want to improve on a few things ( eg. tackling) to make it long-term but he had some good moments tonight in some successful chains of play. Not sure if this comes with exposure, but time will tell.

For those that want to crucify him everytime he breathes, I'd like to see you hold West to that same level of accountability for mistakes.

To me it looked like we just lacked that polish that an extra 25-50 games in a few players provides.

As disappointed as I am in dropping a winnable game, alot to like in terms of grit and interested to see if we can evolve our ball movement and work on that forward half defense coming into the latter half of the year and see where it goes. Loved the application not the execution.

A lot of football supporters will say all they ask from their team is to have a crack. This board and reality shows they are either liars or very naive.

We all want to win games that we should and this was one of them.

No one thing cost us. The contentious goal review, easy missed chances can be blamed.

The fact that the Cats play a system that often has them deep into September that always stacks up well against us. Btw this is coaching, but not match day coaching but proper preparation coaching. Can't stand Chris Scott but other than 2011 Geelongs personel is not that good.

It is clear why Daniels position was under pressure, it should be, only McNeil was not the answer. As should be absolutely Dale's, JJ's, amd Williams position.

Macrae is there about but Garcia has as good of form in the VFL.

It is not a question of Lobb v Darcy, however it is a question of Lobb v English. On form Lobb should be in next week for English.

We are currently a 6 to 10 team. We do need to risk changing it up to move to be challenging for top 4 this season. Don't think we will but we should at least try

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most things that could have gone Geelong's way tonight did, from an umpiring and luck perspective.
They also happen to be a very good side in very good form.

Geelong played very solidly and didn't make many mistakes at all. The umpires allowed them to push the envelope in many ways, but they got away with it, so good luck for them.

We were a lot more uneven. Some amazing individual performances and some great play, balanced out by some below average performances and some howling clangers.

I think you are being a little too hard on some of the old guys and not hard enough on some of the young players. If Marra was a decent kick for goal, we win!

Sanders may have gotten plenty of the ball and played ok for such a young player, but tonight he wasn't really up to the level we needed or that we hope he will reach by the end of the season. A high possession count can often make a game look better than it was.

Personally, I would have subbed out Sanders instead of Daniel. VDM, Gallagher and Bramble would also have been reasonable candidates for being subbed off.

Of course, having Macrae as the sub in the first place was a dumb decision which predictably backfired.

Christ so close ...

The fwd line is still structure less , even on a fast break from a centre clearance we R useless .. why does bevo insist on single file formation if it doesn't work ? Seems we are still desperate for someone to come in and straighten out the fwd 50

Bevo is doing something right , we have an overwhelming amount of fwd50 entries , they just end in tears and have done for years .

In 2016 we were best when the ball hit the ground inside 50 , as we had no real talls .. 2021 was the best I can recall under his tenure.

And English needs to toughen up at the centre bounce and take a few knees , he conceded plenty when he wouldn't even go near the tap for fear of being touched ..that comes down to coaching too, find a way for goodness sake !

we are not a bottom 4 side searching for moral victories. It doesn’t matter that they had a good crack or whatever, all that matters in the end is ladder position. We have to play them again which is another guaranteed loss. Bont, Treloar and Libba are not interested in valiant losses, think they would prefer to finish top 4 for once.

We haven’t been able to beat good teams for 2+ years and it’s such a trend I don’t care if we ‘almost’ get one.

I appreciate we tried making adjustments in certain areas but it’s discouraging that they still don’t lead to wins against good sides.

Being in this mid-tier area despite the talent we know we have is depressing. We need to make significant coaching changes or if we’re backing in what we have, then the playing list needs a significant rebuild. Bont and Libba deserve success.

Sanders may have gotten plenty of the ball and played ok for such a young player, but tonight he wasn't really up to the level we needed or that we hope he will reach by the end of the season. A high possession count can often make a game look better than it was.

Personally, I would have subbed out Sanders instead of Daniel. VDM, Gallagher and Bramble would also have been reasonable candidates for being subbed off.

Of course, having Macrae as the sub in the first place was a dumb decision which predictably backfired.

Sanders was at least involved in the play and applying pressure right till the end of the game. Gallagher was very quiet in the 2nd half so I probably would have subbed him out. By the way I'm not having a go at him - he's obviously still developing. But he might be due for a spell soon.

Can't fault the team for that loss, showed some determination. Some pretty egregious mistakes that cost some easy goals and we also missed some easy ones too. Umpiring had bad moments both ways.

Pretty laughable a few posters went for the ol' tried and true "it's Bevos bad coaching always the same"

Did we implement a plan for Stewart and limit the intercept marking? Check.

No mention of the Weightman switch to centre bounce when the game was slipping for a quick goal.

No "5 goal runs ons it's always the same".

We're definitely not perfect but gee whizz, some of the complaining on here is just pathetic and tired. Disappointing to even see one "seasoned" poster say recently "I hope we lose so Bevo can be sacked".

I agree there's definitely some issues but that was a hard fought game and we came up short. A couple of those bounces go the other way for Buku or free kicks we might've won.

Vandermeer would still want to improve on a few things ( eg. tackling) to make it long-term but he had some good moments tonight in some successful chains of play. Not sure if this comes with exposure, but time will tell.

For those that want to crucify him everytime he breathes, I'd like to see you hold West to that same level of accountability for mistakes.

To me it looked like we just lacked that polish that an extra 25-50 games in a few players provides.

As disappointed as I am in dropping a winnable game, alot to like in terms of grit and interested to see if we can evolve our ball movement and work on that forward half defense coming into the latter half of the year and see where it goes. Loved the application not the execution.
Fantastic post

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Losing today tells this story: we had 4 players who were not up to AFL standard and proves we will not win the GF. CD was exposed today because he lacks physicality and Geelong masterfully exposed this weakness. VDM is a spud who cannot score under pressure and has poor skills. Naughton can’t tackle, plays out of position, provides little support for his peers and looks lost in the forward line. JJ very poor. Duryea’s poor kicking cost us at least two goals. English is a very weak ruck who was given a lesson by Blicavs. Only a dud coach doesn’t play McRae from the start. Cost us the game. TERRIBLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Sanders was at least involved in the play and applying pressure right till the end of the game. Gallagher was very quiet in the 2nd half so I probably would have subbed him out. By the way I'm not having a go at him - he's obviously still developing. But he might be due for a spell soon.
I don't' disagree. It was a shame he faded out of the game.

If people can’t see the difference from last year they have to be a serious pessimist.

So much better in every way, from last year just feel short in some of the more simple facets of the games. Stupid turnovers, bad misses and bad execution in the I50.

It’s ******* so good to watch Bont and Libba go at it. I really back this team to do good things this season.
i cant see it. Looks the same to me. Wish i could say different. Midfield stack up the numbers but we still don't win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back