Autopsy The Good (lol!) The Bad and the Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn’t change that quickly.

Brisbane playing similar the last 4+ years, the Dees too since their flag year, the Tigers have played almost the same style since their first flag last decade and that was 8 years ago and a change of coach. Geelong similar for almost all of Scott’s coaching stint. Port another.

All have had varying periods of succcessful seasons, some just without winning a flag.

The difference is how they execute their football. The pies will be there a bouts come the end of the year and that’s playing the same way they did in Rd’s 1 and 2 and all of last year. They’ll just get it together eventually.

Teams can’t just change how they play season to season as their so much that goes in to developing a decent system. Changing it every year will see your team drop to the bottom of the ladder pretty quickly.

I said it back in 2022. Our biggest issue is we don’t execute our good football for long enough periods in games, and it’s becoming clearer now for most supporters it’s because we’re a mentally piss weak team and drop our bundle when things don’t go our way. The sooner that’s sorted out, the sooner we can get back to playing good football. As it stands, it may need to come by way of appointing a new coach.
all of what you say is due to poor coaching

We know it yet nothing is done about it year in year out.
To be honest I'd argue it's still the best starting four in the competition, without Smith and Macrae we did ok.

In hindsight the starting 2021 GF midfield probably had three future legends (Gawn, Bont, Oliver) and two HOF (Petracca, Macrae). Three blokes called Libba, Viney and English go alright as well.

We've been treated to some of the highest quality centre square work in the history of the game when we play the Dees.

To be honest I'd argue it's still the best starting four in the competition, without Smith and Macrae we did ok.

In hindsight the starting 2021 GF midfield probably had three future legends (Gawn, Bont, Oliver) and two HOF (Petracca, Macrae). Three blokes called Libba, Viney and English go alright as well.

We've been treated to some of the highest quality centre square work in the history of the game when we play the Dees.

English's name shouldn't be anywhere near the rest of those blokes.

Hands up if you are old enough to remember Rocket Eade taking over from Rohde in 2005?
If you are then you would remember the drastic game style change that occurred. I cannot remember a more noticeable change in the way a team played over the last 30 years.
Rocket was such a sharp football brain that he analysed our list and saw it was very fast and very skilful so he unleashed the shackles and told them to play on and handball at all costs. We got done by a dodgy umpiring decision to just miss finals but that year was exhilarating - I have never enjoyed a season more because we were playing to our strengths and as supporters we could see what they were trying to do.
Right now I am longing for that feeling watching the Dogs... we didn't win every game and actually missed finals but it was fantastic and a sign of things to come... ie. 3 prelims in a row...
I recall TAC releasing a stat that year that 21 motorists were nabbed going 10kph or more above the speed limit on average over a two hour period, which was one motorist less than the speeding fines our combined list received on game day over the same period.

* we were quick and so exciting to watch. 2006 was very similar but soured by a cruel run of injuries. That team was a sign of things to come and goes to show how a coaching move alone can take a team from consecutive bottom three finishes (2003 & 2004) to ninth and sixth over the next two seasons, and eventually three consecutive top four finishes in seasons four, five and six.

Things can turn around quickly. We obviously saw that as well with the Bevo appointment.

Once this review into our off season review gets underway, I'm sure a change of coach will be inevitable.

Hands up if you are old enough to remember Rocket Eade taking over from Rohde in 2005?
If you are then you would remember the drastic game style change that occurred. I cannot remember a more noticeable change in the way a team played over the last 30 years.
Rocket was such a sharp football brain that he analysed our list and saw it was very fast and very skilful so he unleashed the shackles and told them to play on and handball at all costs. We got done by a dodgy umpiring decision to just miss finals but that year was exhilarating - I have never enjoyed a season more because we were playing to our strengths and as supporters we could see what they were trying to do.
Right now I am longing for that feeling watching the Dogs... we didn't win every game and actually missed finals but it was fantastic and a sign of things to come... ie. 3 prelims in a row...
The judment above is of Eade in his first season vs someone in their 10th year. What were your thoughts on Eade when he was starting 0-3 his 8th year with us, with zero Grand Finals and zero flags?

Eade often went with "this is a development year for a young squad" mantra that season, which could very well have cost that team a flag... and I put my hand up that I was 100% behind him at the time.

In reality, we had 15 past, current and future players who made All Australian squads on that 2005 list. In retrospect, it was quite possibly the best squad we've ever had as a club.

In contrast to the "this is a development year" outlook, Bevo in 2015 came in a with a "no ceilings" mantra, that saw him take a bottom 4 team he inherited that had lost quite a few key players/footy personell/administrators the previous off-season, and lost another few key players to injury/drug suspension in 2015 and 2016, on an 18 month journey to a flag.

In reality, had 15 past, current and future players who made All Australian squads on that 2005 list. In retrospect, it was quite possibly the best squad we've ever had as a club.
This is an incredibly dumb argument that I spent 5 minutes fact checking and indeed our 2008 squad had 16 past, current, and future AA squad players and there are numerous teams every year that have around 15 players like this. They by definition can't all be premiership contenders. I counted 12 players for Hawthorn for 2005, for comparison.

This is an incredibly dumb argument that I spent 5 minutes fact checking and indeed our 2008 squad had 16 past, current, and future AA squad players and there are numerous teams every year that have around 15 players like this. They by definition can't all be premiership contenders. I counted 12 players for Hawthorn for 2005, for comparison.
There's obviously outliers, and I didn't say it was a guarantee of success - in fact bringing up our squad in 2005 was my own proof that it isn't. The level of quality associated with those AA players (multiple AA star vs someone scraping in) and the age profile plays a massive part. A dozen geriatrics in Carlton's 2000 squad isn't the same as our 2005 team having reasonably aged superstars in Grant, Johnson, Darcy, West still consistently performing, plus having a dozen odd future guns who, for the most part, were performing well (Morris, Boyd, Cooney, Griffen, Murphy, Gilbee, Lake etc) on the list at the same time.

The main point was that - IMO - it was one of our most exceptional squads ever, that could/should have knocked on the door - a limiting psychology of "it's a development year because we're so young" was a questionable strategy.

As an example, this was a direct quote from Eade in 2005:

"Without putting too much of a dampener for our supporters, realistically we're not going to win the premiership this year with the injuries we've got''

Would Bevo have said that in 2015 or 2016, having lost Murphy, Wallis and Crameri? Even if it was for outside ears only, and not the playing group, is it not stupid for a coach to play that card?

I think you'll find many dynasty teams fit the profile of 15 odd AAs on their list. The top 4 teams around them might have similar, but you won't find many teams finishing outside the 8 with that list profile. Without researching, I'm going to take a wild guess that those dynasty squads were above the league average for past/current/Future AAs, and it was a contributing factor to their success. Or maybe that outlook is "incredibly dumb", there's zero correlation and their list of AAs was completely irrelevant to their success.

Last edited:
It’s all a matter of perspective.

Being as close as we were before the late blowout, in spite of so many things going wrong, suggests there was also fair number of things going right.
Hey professor I don’t mean any disrespect but I totally agree. It was decent from the perspective of some incredibly rose coloured glasses.

What made it a particularly concerning performance was that it was only close because Melbourne were absolutely cruising the whole game. We had no right to be within a few kicks in the 4th. If we had performed like that and came up against a side that was firing, we could easily have been done by 60-100 points.

Melbourne did Bevo a huge favor. Imagine if the score line had been 150 - 64.

This is clearly what we lack. Bevo might have the highest EQ in Australia but he seems pretty average for footy IQ.

We’ve travelled as far as we can on EQ. Time we switched to a different fuel.
Spot on. Bevo has wrung the emotional rag dry. The players are bored and disengaged which translates to poor effort.

Time to go.

It’s all a matter of perspective.

Being as close as we were before the late blowout, in spite of so many things going wrong, suggests there was also fair number of things going right.
Melbourne weren’t even that impressive, barely got out of first gear. Unfortunately for us we play in neutral. We gave a key defender 25 possessions.

Spot on. Bevo has wrung the emotional rag dry. The players are bored and disengaged which translates to poor effort.

Time to go.
I'm not even sure it's that tangible.

We had that "something" in 2015 & 2016 which was a bit of magic.

In 2021 it was different - the deepest midfield in the competition, that was our edge for most of the year.

What is our edge now? We don't have the magic and we don't have that one thing we do 'better' thank other teams. Collingwood last year had magic. Richmond pressured better than any other side during their 3-peat.

I'm just not sure what our "thing" is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most frustrating, boring, predictable and underwhelming team in the competition. I won’t be watching another minute of this team until there is discernible change. Sure, they’ll still get my dollars because I love the club, but this team since the third quarter of the 2021 GF has not only destroyed my love for Bulldogs football but for the sport in general. I’d love to recapture that feeling but it’s not happening with this team, game style and football management.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hey professor I don’t mean any disrespect but I totally agree. It was decent from the perspective of some incredibly rose coloured glasses.

What made it a particularly concerning performance was that it was only close because Melbourne were absolutely cruising the whole game. We had no right to be within a few kicks in the 4th. If we had performed like that and came up against a side that was firing, we could easily have been done by 60-100 points.

I think you are taking an overly negative view. Melbourne were far from cruising last week, they were bringing their best and the difference wasn’t that great.

Things are nowhere near as bad as they seem. The biggest problem the club currently has is it’s lack of solidarity.

Time for so-called supporters to show some actual support and faith.

This is clearly what we lack. Bevo might have the highest EQ in Australia but he seems pretty average for footy IQ.

We’ve travelled as far as we can on EQ. Time we switched to a different fuel.

I think that’s a a bit unfair.

He changed the way the game was played across 15/16, which the team that won 3 of the next 4 flags followed.

He re-built the team and changed the way we played and took us to another GF final and almost 2nd flag 5 years later.

He’s been poor the last 2 years, but prior to that he’s been a great coach tactically. That’s not achievable only because you’re a great motivator.

Supporters shouldn’t erase some of his history as coach just because we’ve dropped off in recent years.

Last edited:
There's obviously outliers, and I didn't say it was a guarantee of success - in fact bringing up our squad in 2005 was my own proof that it isn't. The level of quality associated with those AA players (multiple AA star vs someone scraping in) and the age profile plays a massive part. A dozen geriatrics in Carlton's 2000 squad isn't the same as our 2005 team having reasonably aged superstars in Grant, Johnson, Darcy, West still consistently performing, plus having a dozen odd future guns who, for the most part, were performing well (Morris, Boyd, Cooney, Griffen, Murphy, Gilbee, Lake etc) on the list at the same time.

The main point was that - IMO - it was one of our most exceptional squads ever, that could/should have knocked on the door - a limiting psychology of "it's a development year because we're so young" was a questionable strategy.

As an example, this was a direct quote from Eade in 2005:

"Without putting too much of a dampener for our supporters, realistically we're not going to win the premiership this year with the injuries we've got''

Would Bevo have said that in 2015 or 2016, having lost Murphy, Wallis and Crameri? Even if it was for outside ears only, and not the playing group, is it not stupid for a coach to play that card?

I think you'll find many dynasty teams fit the profile of 15 odd AAs on their list. The top 4 teams around them might have similar, but you won't find many teams finishing outside the 8 with that list profile. Without researching, I'm going to take a wild guess that those dynasty squads were above the league average for past/current/Future AAs, and it was a contributing factor to their success. Or maybe that outlook is "incredibly dumb", there's zero correlation and their list of AAs was completely irrelevant to their success.

And yet Eade wasn’t able to get us into a GF. Yeah he was unlucky, but such are those pesky traditional obstacles this club has to deal with.

Bevo has made it into 2 GFs and won 1.

The lack of support he is getting after such achievements has been incredibly disappointing.

I think that’s a a bit unfair.

He changed the way the game was played across 15/16, which the team that won 3 of the next 4 flags followed.

He re-built the team and changed the way we played and took us to another GF final and almost 2nd flag 5 years later.

He’s been poor the last 2 years, but prior to that he’s been a great coach. That’s not achievable only because you’re a great motivator.

Supporters shouldn’t erase some of his history as coach just because we’ve dropped off in recent years.
Consistently voted by his peers through his tenure as one of the best coaches in the league also. Doubt that happens with a low footy IQ.

And yet Eade wasn’t able to get us into a GF. Yeah he was unlucky, but such are those pesky traditional obstacles this club has to deal with.

Bevo has made it into 2 GFs and won 1.

The lack of support he is getting after such achievements has been incredibly disappointing.
I couldn’t care less that Bevo made two Grand Finals. He sucks. He needs to go. He needed to go in 2020.

I think you are taking an overly negative view. Melbourne were far from cruising last week, they were bringing their best and the difference wasn’t that great.

Things are nowhere near as bad as they seem. The biggest problem the club currently has is it’s lack of solidarity.

Biggest problem at the club is WE LACK INTEGRITY as a football team IMO

This, I said to my mate half way through the first quarter that we’re done. We’re lucky we were up a Melbourne side that struggled to put a score on the board to be honest. We were no where, it was one of the worst games we’ve played in the last 2 years and damn there’s been a few. It was just so obvious from early in the game we were losing

We’ve all stuck fat for years and years. How do we know when it’s time to expect more/better?

This, I said to my mate half way through the first quarter that we’re done. We’re lucky we were up a Melbourne side that struggled to put a score on the board to be honest. We were no where, it was one of the worst games we’ve played in the last 2 years and damn there’s been a few. It was just so obvious from early in the game we were losing
If you want to see much worse just go back and watch some of our losses under McCartney.

If we change coaches there is a greater chance things will get worse rather than better.

If you are calling me a “so-called supporter” why have I paid up for a reserved seat and a social club member for the last 10 years, have paid for my kids to have a membership every year since birth. I attend most VFL games. Last week I took my daughter to the G and this week I will trek out to Ballarat with my son. Not sure what else I need to do to qualify as a real supporter.

If you want to see much worse just go back and watch some of our losses under McCartney.

If we change coaches there is a greater chance things will get worse rather than better.
That’s a risk you take, ask GWS, Pies, soon probably GC fans whether they’re happy they moved on from a mid coach 3 years past their used by date

Remove this Banner Ad

Back