The signs we are looking for ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
We all can see that changes are thick on the ground at AFC since the end of last season, and most of them appear to be heading in a direction we all agree with.

A lot of people have also noted that it counts for nothing.

Until we see the pudding, we can't be sure that what we think we are seeing is proof.

Wins will obviously be one identifier, but what will be the 3 signs outside of the win/loss that you will look for as an indicator that we are seeing changes that will lead to a premiership?

For me, I want to see
  1. a change to how we protect team-mates on and off the ball.
  2. speed in our ball movement
  3. effective match-day coaching

1. increase in man conversations.
2. a move from just habits to elite habits.
3. actually passing the ball to each other and maybe even landing a tackle or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposition teams struggling to transition the ball out of defence.
Forwards being hit up on the lead in SPACE, regardless of whether they're 5m or 50m from goal.
Am I asking too much if I wanted something other than long and right to a contest from a kick-in.
Clearing the pressure area at stoppages and delivering with precision whilst ensuring the opposition are denied that luxury.

A more machiavellian approach to tactics.
Please explain. I the redhead voice

1%ers, blocks, smothers, helping the ball carrier to get free.
Tacking...actually sticking them.
Not kicking it to the outer wing to Sauce from kickouts every time.
Changed set up around stoppages, not letting opposition get ahead of the ball.
More than bomb it forward.
A forward line that actually has a forward in it when the ball is on the rebound.
Better use of the sub.
A consistent backline.
Changes on matchday when things aren't going well or particular players are tearing us a new one...Deledio, Ziebell etc...
No you try telling Dangerfield he can't play....

1. Someone running through dangerfields tagger and making him nervous
2. Notoriously poor tacklers sticking tackles eg Henderson , Jenkins
3. Turning over the ball but being able to defend it when it happens
4. Less turnovers
5. Seeing 2 or 3 players spread into space from a stoppage , receive the ball and run with it
6. Defensive spread in midfield resulting in slow oppo ball use

I like all this but just don't expect the world to have changed overnight at the start of the season. Belief.

Yeah, I'm the same.

I expect to see just small changes to begin with - hints of what is to come over time.

This should be a season where, by the end of it, it is very obvious that we have finally started some genuine uphill momentum again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back