Astronomy The Space Gallery - Images of and about space

Remove this Banner Ad

Far Kern isn't the idea of a correct orientation a bit absurd, considering space is infinite in every direction, there really is no up or down.

Far Kern isn't the idea of a correct orientation a bit absurd, considering space is infinite in every direction, there really is no up or down.
Fair enough, but from the perspective of the astronauts as they first saw it. Ignore that bit, it's an amazing image.

Mystic Mountain is pretty brilliant, makes a great wallpaper too.

hs-2010-13-a-web.jpg

Carina nebula right? Looks like a few gods going at it with powers and s**t
Yep, that's the one. A wider view of it actually does look like a fantasy land.

heic0707a.jpg

I briefly got into star gazing a few years back, ended up purchasing a 12 inch Dob, didn't get a lot of satisfaction out of that TBH, reckon I bit off more than I could chew, my best memory was off my little 4 incher I got at a garage sale, the lenses were crap but I got primo lenses with the 12 incher I used, got an absolutely brilliant view of Saturn, stunning views, even the moons were visible.

If you're interested in this subject you don't need to spend big, imaging is a different kettle of fish though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The newest galaxy discovered MACS0647-JD appears very young and is only a fraction of the size of our own Milky Way. The galaxy is about 13.3 billion light-years from Earth, the farthest galaxy yet known, and formed 420 million years after the Big Bang. Image taken by Hubble Space Telescope on Nov. 29, 2011, and released Nov. 15, 2012.

Its amazing how a tiny telescope (in comparison) can see a dot in the sky some 13.3 billion light years away.. Mind blowing.

1 light year = 9.461e+12 km

The pale blue dot.

Voyager looking back at us.

saturn-earth.jpg
Neil DeGrasse spent 10 minutes talking about this pic when I saw him a few weeks ago.

Lights dimmed, he quoted Sagan as the screen zoomed in on the "pale blue dot".

4000 people in the room hanging on every word.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back