Autopsy The started-before-half-time All Time Insipid #norfball performance v. the team down the highway who shall not be named

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong was always gonna do away with us pretty easily. But this performance was alarming and I'm seeing so many insipid traits from a 22 comprised mostly of blokes who have been gifted a spot in the name of youth.

Selfish, dumb football.

The midfield.

They should not have given us a touch up in the midfield. This part of the loss simply should not have happened. And it's been happening for weeks.

There is no leader in that midfield. The de facto leader is best at ball hunting without thinking, and the ruck has no actual ruck craft (though is good in the contest).

I shudder to think how many times our trio of LDU, Wardlaw and Powell had LDU sitting on on the defensive side of our centre bounce setup. The one where our bloke is outnumbered by Geelong blokes. The one where you need to be very, very accountable. And not only does Xerri hit the damn ball to that exact spot (instead of the spot where we outnumber 2-1), LDU decides to hang off his man by 3m and bee line at the ball to try and win the clearance.

This happened time after time until Jy went in there. Not once did LDU or Xerri pull them in and discuss where they would position and where Xerri should tap. Not once. And they strolled it out of the centre time after time.

Seems like Jy had to settle for just whacking them all on a defensive side at the centre bounce, to stop the bleeding.

Watch how many times Powelly and LDU in particular, but even George to an extent let the Geelong blokes put the hammer down and torch us going forward. There were instances today when it was turned over centre wing, our mid or two is in line with that in the guts, and they track defensively about 5 metres while their opponents come from 25 behind them to be 25 in front and absolutely overwhelm our defenders.

This front running gets rewarded one in every 10 times, if that.

Not only is this laziness killing us going forward, as it allows the oppo to flood our defensive 50, we're then getting killed on the turnover because they quite simply refuse to put in the work.

It's just not good enough. We could have the best talent in the world and we won't win a single game if we're outnumbered going forward and outnumbered going back.

Dumb, dumb, selfish footy.

And the defenders.

What are our leaders doing down there? Comben had to direct everything in his second damn game as a key back!

There was one where Geelong had the ball just outside their 50, Charlie got caught guarding 2 loose smalls in the pocket. He calls one of our smaller defenders (I can't remember who and I can't go back and look or else I'll hold a huge grudge) to swap so he can cover the key forwards and fly at the hotspot, and they snub him!

And don't get me started on screaming for the ball 1m in front of the carrier while you let your man waltz past and nail him in a tackle.

Forwards, you get a pass, although there were a few times when they should have let Sellers fly but went up and spoiled him themselves, lol.

Very few blokes out there actually care about doing the team things. It's sad and I'm not sure when we became this club. We aren't gonna win much while this continues.

Last edited:

We need to put that block of matches behind us now. That was the toughest opening fixture of anybody. We have to reset and believe that we can win any of the next 5 games (Gold Coast in Darwin will be the toughest). Hawthorn, Adelaide (in Tassie), Essendon and St Kilda are all gettable. Win 2 out of 5 and it gives something to build on for the 2nd half of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is it that we can see it from a million miles away that our senior players in LMac, Jy, Corr, etc, continually let us down week after week, yet our coaching stuff just keep gifting them games? To me this is a big part of the problem, lack of standards being set

Meek, insipid, lacking in composure, lacking in basic skill execution, lacking in discernable gamestyle, severely lacking in competitiveness in contests.

Basically, the new NMFC way.

If we can’t beat Hawthorn, on our own ground next week, that’s me done for the year.

Players need a list .

THESE certain players are never allowed to kick out or into 50. Must always choose short option or handball at all costs. And other players have to be aware of those on that list and make sure they are on their bikes ready to get the pass.

Sad state when about 10 players fall into that list due to their skillset

Geelong was always gonna do away with us pretty easily. But this performance was alarming and I'm seeing so many insipid traits from a 22 comprised mostly of blokes who have been gifted a spot in the name of youth.

Selfish, dumb football.

The midfield.

They should not have given us a touch up in the midfield. This part of the loss simply should not have happened. And it's been happening for weeks.

There is no leader in that midfield. The de facto leader is best at ball hunting without thinking, and the ruck has no actual ruck craft (though is good in the contest).

I shudder to think how many times our trio of LDU, Wardlaw and Powell had LDU sitting on on the defensive side of our centre bounce setup. The one where our bloke is outnumbered by Geelong blokes. The one where you need to be very, very accountable. And not only does Xerri hit the damn ball to that exact spot (instead of the spot where we outnumber 2-1), LDU decides to hang off his man by 3m and bee line at the ball to try and win the clearance.

This happened time after time until Jy went in there. Not once did LDU or Xerri pull them in and discuss where they would position and where Xerri should tap. Not once. And they strolled it out of the centre time after time.

Seems like Jy had to settle for just whacking them all on a defensive side at the centre bounce, to stop the bleeding.

Watch how many times Powelly and LDU in particular, but even George to an extent let the Geelong blokes put the hammer down and torch us going forward. There were instances today when it was turned over centre wing, our mid or two is in line with that in the guts, and they track defensively about 5 metres while their opponents come from 25 behind them to be 25 in front and absolutely overwhelm our defenders.

This front running gets rewarded one in every 10 times, if that.

Not only is this laziness killing us going forward, as it allows the oppo to flood our defensive 50, we're then getting killed on the turnover because they quite simply refuse to put in the work.

It's just not good enough. We could have the best talent in the world and we won't win a single game if we're outnumbered going forward and outnumbered going back.

Dumb, dumb, selfish footy.

And the defenders.

What are our leaders doing down there? Comben had to direct everything in his second damn game as a key back!

There was one where Geelong had the ball just outside their 50, Charlie got caught guarding 2 loose smalls in the pocket. He calls one of our smaller defenders (I can't remember who and I shudder to look or else I'll hold a huge grudge) to swap so he can cover the key forwards and fly at the hotspot, and they snub him!

Forwards, you get a pass, although there were a few times when they should have let Sellers fly but went up and spoiled him themselves, lol.

Very few blokes out there actually care about doing the team things. It's sad and I'm not sure when we became this club. We aren't gonna win much while this continues.
One of them was out Captain, the dumbest campaigner on the face of the earth.

How old is Luke McDonald? Plays with less smarts than a kid with less than 10 games.

My favourite today was when he left Close in the pocket by himself to run at Jeremy Cameron 40 meters away. Is he too dumb to realise he can impact that contest.

This bloke shouldn’t be playing AFL let alone a Captain.

As for the other spud Captain. He should be playing park footy with his idiotic turnovers. It was said earlier, Geelong players were leading to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it that we can see it from a million miles away that our senior players in LMac, Jy, Corr, etc, continually let us down week after week, yet our coaching stuff just keep gifting them games? To me this is a big part of the problem, lack of standards being set

Unfortunately there’s no better options

If we weren't so mystifyingly diabolical when it came to clearances, that would not have been such a blow out.

How LDU, Wardlaw, Powell and Simpkin could be so comprehensively outclassed by Atkins, Parfitt, Bruhn and Bowes is a mystery on par with the location of Cleopatra's tomb.

Having said that, even tho I thought Simpkin looked alright in the midfield, damn his disposals in the forward half were a hard watch.

Anyway, the good:
  • Best game of Drury's career
  • Sheezel confirms his status as one of the very best players in the whole comp
  • Ford and Curtis have X-factor squared
  • Nyuon was solid defensively, even tho his ball use was pretty shite
  • Chom continued to impress

We need to put that block of matches behind us now. That was the toughest opening fixture of anybody. We have to reset and believe that we can win any of the next 5 games (Gold Coast in Darwin will be the toughest). Hawthorn, Adelaide (in Tassie), Essendon and St Kilda are all gettable. Win 2 out of 5 and it gives something to build on for the 2nd half of the season.

We might beat the Hawks ( if we are lucky ) We ain't beating * or St.Kilda.

Meek, insipid, lacking in composure, lacking in basic skill execution, lacking in discernable gamestyle, severely lacking in competitiveness in contests.

If we can’t beat Hawthorn, on our own ground next week, that’s me done for the year.

Composure is the word, significantly more possessions than them but significantly less time in possession! Will take time and patience.

There must be consequences for the senior turnips in our leadership group.

Corr/McDonald/Simpkin/Tucker is a murderers row of shitmen. It is diabolical that these are the senior heads leading our team. If they are there to offer guidance to the youngsters they do it in a funny way.

Jy is the only one I can see succeeding at this point and it's becoming more unlikely with every game.

Turnovers, smothered kicks, buttercup tackles and braindead decisions sum up the day.

The score is what it is, we're terrible and the Cats are annoyingly good again (without two of their best) and at their home ground, but it's the manner in which we're losing that is doing my nut in.

Watching Sheezel punch the ground after being marooned by himself defending 3 Cats waltz in for a goal dented my football soul. He deserves so much better, the fans deserve better.

I honestly agree and have the same thing in mind. My life was far more productive and I was happier not watching the game today.

Nothing to do with the block of games. Those last two games were the most pathetic efforts I have seen at the level.

This club is broken in a big way.

Time to stop tinkering Clarko and start playing in position and on merit. These beltings while you experiment are not doing anyone any favours. All it is doing is killing confidence and losing the supporter base.

Back to good old fashioned competitive footy. Shelve this Turdball attack and get burnt on turnover style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back