Autopsy autopsy v * in it for more than half a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicks it over peoples heads regularly.
And turns it over everywhere.

No ones fault but his.

Two things can be simultaneously true;

Bailey Scott kicks it over peoples heads (or out of bounds, or directly to the opposition...)
and
Our forwards regularly lead under the ball

We have a lot for players who are good at what they do but their deficiencies are absolutely crushing. It's really odd. I've always been a "don't focus on deficiencies, play to your strengths" person but our best attacking players aren't even serviceable defensively, and our best defensive players aren't serviceable in terms of offensive running and hitting targets. It probably explains the roller coaster we find ourselves in every match and our inability to stop a run-on.

Wardlaw, Sheez, Comben the exceptions.

Not specifically talking about just this week.
Talking about the wider issue of our ball usage coming out of defense.
Across this season McDonald turns it over less than Sheezel and at a lower rate than Sheezel. About 2% less (15% compared to Sheeze @ 17%.)

Scott and Tucker are at 23.2% and 24.67% per game respectively.

Jy and Paul Curtis are even worse.

McDonald doesn't deserve the grief you and others are giving him for turnovers this year.

Across this season McDonald turns it over less than Sheezel and at a lower rate than Sheezel. About 2% less (15% compared to Sheeze @ 17%.)

Scott and Tucker are at 23.2 and 24.67 per game respectively.

Jy and Paul Curtis are even worse.

McDonald doesn't deserve the grief you and others are giving him for turnovers this year.

Those numbers aren't telling the full story though.

I don't think there's a player on our team whose turnovers have directly led to an opposition goal more than McDonald.
If Paul Curtis has a turnover, it's probably from an I50.
When McDonald has a turnover, it's from the opposition goal line and is marked inside the opposition forward 50.

Yes, McDonald has improved the past two weeks, but that doesn't erase the previous 8 weeks where he was woeful. C'mon now.

He kicks it over peoples heads regularly.
And turns it over everywhere.

No ones fault but his.
Can you imagine leading to Scott and constantly watching the ball sail over your head to your opponent.

Must be disheartening and you wonder how many of our players go half hearted when he has the ball knowing he will just butcher the kick anyway?

Two things can be simultaneously true;

Bailey Scott kicks it over peoples heads (or out of bounds, or directly to the opposition...)
and
Our forwards regularly lead under the ball
Are they leading under the ball or is he kicking the ball over their head?

With Scott I think it’s more of him missing the target than a shit lead by the oncoming player.

Those numbers aren't telling the full story though.

I don't think there's a player on our team whose turnovers have directly led to an opposition goal more than McDonald.
If Paul Curtis has a turnover, it's probably from an I50.
When McDonald has a turnover, it's from the opposition goal line and is marked inside the opposition forward 50.

Yes, McDonald has improved the past two weeks, but that doesn't erase the previous 8 weeks where he was woeful. C'mon now.
Then prove it.

1. Serviceable or better, if not excellent:
LDU
Xerri
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Corr
Powell
Comben
McDonald
Fisher
Powell
Stephenson
Shiels
Ford (pro-rata)

2. Did enough but should look to improve:
WDawson
Curtis
Larkey
Pink

3. Might be nervous at selection:
Taylor
Duursma

4. Injured:
Bergman

5. The good, the bad and the ugly, all in one game (what to do with these players?):
Tucker
Scott
Zurhaar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought we improved again from weeks gone.

Positives:
  • Won 2 quarters, nearly 3
  • Our young mids were an absolute joy to watch LDU Sheez Wardlaw Powell, sensational all four of them are stars
  • Pay LDU whatever we need to
  • X belted Goldy
  • Enjoyed watching McKay s*** himself and have a stinker
  • Corrs job on Langford was elite, should have been goalless if not for a sh*t effort from his teammate to gift Langford an easy one
  • Dawson playing was great to see, thought he did some nice things and really good of Clarko to not back away from taking him off 2MP, who did kick 3 of the 4 on him, but all three were the result of shocking turn overs up the ground, also his kick is fantastic
  • Thought Clarkson coached as well as he has, couple really good match ups with Corr on Langford and tagging Merrett, also not getting sucked into sending Sheezel back without Kerch
  • I actually like Pink up forward, actually competes and leads at the ball
  • HM to Curtis Taylor who has had to work his a*s off to get back in and did well

When we were on top (like the Freo game) you could see the system. When it clicks it’s mint.

Three things we need to desperately address:
  • 20 odd turnovers between Tucker and Scott for their 40 odd possessions between them, it’s just impossible to be competitive producing that, need to prioritize guys that can kick
  • Forward line mix isn’t right, need one or two guys with pressure / defense being their key priority
  • Our ball use coming out of d50 continues to provide the oppo a 5 goal handicap every week

All in all, felt better today then have I have for a while

Last edited:
Not specifically talking about just this week.
Talking about the wider issue of our ball usage coming out of defense.
BTW You were talking about today's game. You responded to someone specifically commenting about today's game with reference to what happened in today's game.

In the autopsy thread about today's game.

Are they leading under the ball or is he kicking the ball over their head?

With Scott I think it’s more of him missing the target than a s**t lead by the oncoming player.
He does it all around the ground, under no pressure. I’ve said it a few times on here that he has no depth control with his kicking. It’s 100 percent his fault. He’s just a shit kick. Still has some value in our side but only because we’re shit.

He does it all around the ground, under no pressure. I’ve said it a few times on here that he has no depth control with his kicking. It’s 100 percent his fault. He’s just a s**t kick. Still has some value in our side but only because we’re s**t.
Has a very average technique. Just doesn't look fluent at all which is surprising at this stage of his career.

Just hoping Stephens can get some form and make the position his. He is a far better kick it's not funny.

FWIW, Lmac's ball-use has been a lot better recently. He just knows his limitations and looks for the give.

Leadership is knowing what you're capable of and inviting someone with attributes that can contribute.
Spot on.

As a result, he’s been performing well. Similarly Corr. Prioritising their defensive strengths.

Now the issue is how do we get Scott and Tucker to do the same…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back