Autopsy Autopsy vs Richmond - thanks for everything Jack Z

Remove this Banner Ad

From 1994 (when this journey started) until about 2016 this club gave me a lot of joy and i was proud of this team. It wasn’t all about the wins either: supporting this club from 02-09 was like a badge of honour, the way we stayed not only competitive but in existence was a source of endless admiration.

Since then, I’ve never seen a bunch of more mediocre, aim-low individuals seemingly content to just ‘be there’.

Jury’s out on the new administration having the hunger or ability too. Players I thought would thrive under Clarko (at least for a couple of years) either are retiring, found themselves on the outer, or made an example of like Goldy in round 1. Heart and soul players, y’know? I thought they’d thrive under Clarko etc and really build the foundation of future success. Instead we’ve got a captain who they wouldnt drop no matter how much he struggled. We’ve got Howe and Turner.

It’s a bit sad seeing Ziebs and Cunners speak about the ‘good days’ of making prelims.. there’s no flag to speak of. Didn’t even get close. I worry this next group won’t either.

We’ll see. The signs aren’t good though. Everyone seems elated with not being blown off the park, not hungry for wins. This isn’t the club I love. This isn’t north.
I think the reign of Clarko hasn't really started, and that is not of our making. The club, imo, as an organization is now sound and a lot more stable than just about ever. Imo. I had similar feelings for Germo, Matty Larkin, Rossy Smith et al at the end of their era. Kangaroo idols of an era that missed out on the ultimate success. Fairley and Crocker both got lucky. I agree, there is no, or appears to be no spark, or mongrel or want to hunt the ball or the opposition - it's what makes blokes like Carey, Stevo, Archer, Pikey, Kingy and all them such stars of our history. The football will turn. HS and GW are too good for it not to. You can see it in how they play. There is a cockiness about EF too. That is the drive of our new era. As you say, we've had too many blokes for too long happy to clock in on a monday and clock out saturday arvo without a care in the world - seemingly. Maybe it's just how the world is these days. That is also our ride. We're North Melbourne. If we packed it in in '07 when it was too hard we'd not even be here. It's a bumpy road, with tolls, and mostly uphill into a headwind at the moment, but Gandalf is not standing in our way, and we will pass. Just you wait and see, oi!

I think the reign of Clarko hasn't really started, and that is not of our making. The club, imo, as an organization is now sound and a lot more stable than just about ever. Imo. I had similar feelings for Germo, Matty Larkin, Rossy Smith et al at the end of their era. Kangaroo idols of an era that missed out on the ultimate success. Fairley and Crocker both got lucky. I agree, there is no, or appears to be no spark, or mongrel or want to hunt the ball or the opposition - it's what makes blokes like Carey, Stevo, Archer, Pikey, Kingy and all them such stars of our history. The football will turn. HS and GW are too good for it not to. You can see it in how they play. There is a cockiness about EF too. That is the drive of our new era. As you say, we've had too many blokes for too long happy to clock in on a monday and clock out saturday arvo without a care in the world - seemingly. Maybe it's just how the world is these days. That is also our ride. We're North Melbourne. If we packed it in in '07 when it was too hard we'd not even be here. It's a bumpy road, with tolls, and mostly uphill into a headwind at the moment, but Gandalf is not standing in our way, and we will pass. Just you wait and see, oi!

His last 5 years at hawks weren’t that inspiring. I was really expecting impact this year but here we sit, 2 wins and we’re probably only better because of Sheezel etc.
We’ll see.
I was keener than anyone to see Clarko return, but it’s been an underwhelming year. He’s had some crap going on obviously, but I can’t get past the last few years at hawthorn and how they went nowhere under him. Some of his selection decisions have had me concerned. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
His last 5 years at hawks weren’t that inspiring. I was really expecting impact this year but here we sit, 2 wins and we’re probably only better because of Sheezel etc.
We’ll see.
I was keener than anyone to see Clarko return, but it’s been an underwhelming year. He’s had some crap going on obviously, but I can’t get past the last few years at hawthorn and how they went nowhere under him. Time will tell I guess.
He hasn't been here. Stupid dorkthorn scuppered the bejesus out of him, and therefor our season with all of their own inhouse dirty laundry. Blame Kennett, not Clarko. Pretty sure Hawthorn are uninspiring at the best of times - I mean, poos and wees for colours?? C'mon.

He hasn't been here. Stupid dorkthorn scuppered the bejesus out of him, and therefor our season with all of their own inhouse dirty laundry. Blame Kennett, not Clarko. Pretty sure Hawthorn are uninspiring at the best of times - I mean, poos and wees for colours?? C'mon.

I’ve never wanted a dude to succeed so bad. I hope he’s the one. If Clarko makes us a force again, it’ll be up there with the 90’s years

I hope Wardlaw is getting flown to Germany, and getting those hamstrings juiced up… we need him fit and firing along with LDU, Chom and Logue

We’ll see.
I was keener than anyone to see Clarko return, but it’s been an underwhelming year. He’s had some crap going on obviously, but I can’t get past the last few years at hawthorn and how they went nowhere under him. Some pf Gus selection decisions gave me worried. Time will tell I guess.
Geez you’re quick to stick the boots in if anyone thinks it’s a quick fix to get us off the bottom you’re delusional especially when he’s had to put up the s**t he has this year. Just to put in perspective Hawthorn might have gone down in his last years but he did win them multiple premierships we’ve been s**t for a long time and we have got jack s**t to show for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Clarko said just last week, he’s seeing who is up for the fight. He could see it in GW. We’re getting a pretty clear picture of 10 players on our list who have no fight /drive/grunt to win the contest, game, final and ultimately a flag. These blokes will get weeded out over the next 2 years

Thanks Jack. I've been on your back this year or year and a half but I did shed a tear or 10 watching him walk off in North jumper for the last time.
Tarryn Thomas is a must keep. Get him super duper fit and then put a long term deal in front of him.
Cheezel - what can we say? Never seen an 18 year old in the 17th placed side look like he has 300 games experience.
Big Souv is someone we can win flags around. Fix up his supply and he'll be the next bloke to kick 100 in a year.

I think the Tigers at the G was a fitting farewell for Jack - two of the best games I remember with Jack involved are against the Tigers at the G - the first was a pulsating end-to-end seesawing affair between two young up and coming teams in 2012, and then the EF in 2015, which was a game of even higher quality and drama. 90K at the G on a sunny Sunday afternoon in September is what we dream about.

The Tigers were North's bunnies up until 2017, and I think there is still a lot of scars and respect from that core Tigers team. I think there is a mutual understanding from both those groups that there really is a fine line between success and failure; how far down North has fallen, as well as how high Richmond has risen since 2017. That if something like luck existed in this world, that it could have very easily been the other way around; where North were celebrating their premiership captain's last game today, and not Richmond, who would merely be farewelling two of their club legends.

Obviously it would have been better with the win, but that was probably too much to ask. To the effect of what I wrote above, I can't help but think Dustin Martin saved his best game of the year not just to send his champion teammates off on a high, but to also show the ultimate respect to a worthy adversary and equal warrior in Jack Ziebell.

Just wanted to pop in and say well played to the north fans today that stayed for Trent and Jacks lap on honour was great to see

Also props on Zeibs on a fantastic career never fully got the recognition he deserved in terms of his ability to break a game open in the forward line

No doubt you guys are happy to see the tail end of this year and hopefully you can continue to build a strong foundation that will see your mob competitive again soon

I think the Tigers at the G was a fitting farewell for Jack - two of the best games I remember with Jack involved are against the Tigers at the G - the first was a pulsating end-to-end seesawing affair between two young up and coming teams in 2012, and then the EF in 2015, which was a game of even higher quality and drama. 90K at the G on a sunny Sunday afternoon in September is what we dream about.

The Tigers were North's bunnies up until 2017, and I think there is still a lot of scars and respect from that core Tigers team. I think there is a mutual understanding from both those groups that there really is a fine line between success and failure; how far down North has fallen, as well as how high Richmond has risen since 2017. That if something like luck existed in this world, that it could have very easily been the other way around; where North were celebrating their premiership captain's last game today, and not Richmond, who would merely be farewelling two of their club legends.

Obviously it would have been better with the win, but that was probably too much to ask. To the effect of what I wrote above, I can't help but think Dustin Martin saved his best game of the year not just to send his champion teammates off on a high, but to also show the ultimate respect to a worthy adversary and equal warrior in Jack Ziebell.
Well said. Good to see positive blogs instead of all the keyboard warriors bagging the team as a whole or individuals.

Even getting rolled (again) its a great way to spend a Saturday arvo being at the G. Another area of improvement is the inside 50 count not being so quite lopsided week in week out. Hopefully those 70 to 30 days are gone.

But jeepers Dan Howe - literally make Kayne Turner look like Carey in comparison. Must have pictures of someone.

That bald headed ump was a disgrace all game. Involved in every s**t decision.
There were two. #37 was the worst but the other bloke made some howlers as well. To be even handed, a couple of sh!t decisions went our way but the cynic in me suspects that was done as a ploy to ensure North can't be taken seriously when we complain about poor officiation.

That bald headed ump was a disgrace all game. Involved in every s**t decision. The one against drury and one against xerri. Also the larkey free in front of goal.

Im concerned about Powell and Phillips. Both need massive pre seasons.
Go back and watch the Carlton game if you want a true demonstration of #37's incompetence. Today was an ok performance by his standards. Which is a joke in itself.

Agree on Phillips and Powell in regards to preseasons, but I'm not sure how you could be concerned about Powell's footballing ability. His handballing and awareness is sumptuous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back