Autopsy Autopsy vs Richmond - thanks for everything Jack Z

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing to lose again today for the 20th time but there are positives compared to last year:

15 games in 2022 were lost by 40 pts or more, this year it is 7.

Lost 5 games this year by less than 10 pts, only 1 last year.

% in 2022 56% compared to 68% this year.

Sheezel, Wardlaw.

Thomas finishing the season in the ones and firing.

LDU elite when fit.

Larkey’s Coleman podium finish.

Bailey Scott’s next level.

Eddie emerges.

Chom gets a taste.

‘Gus’ is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's how I see it: it's normal for young sides to be inconsistent as the players learn the gameplan, and that's compounded by the gameplan being new in general and the system being so unstable for years. We've been unlucky in our inconsistency, the peaks seem to always fall just below our opponent's level. We were somehow good enough to come within a goal of Sydney but also only good enough to come within a goal of West Coast, a far inferior team. It's just a statistical anomaly that we're on this losing streak, I don't know how else to look at it. A normal side in our position would have squeaked out a few wins but also probably gotten flogged more than we have. We're better than last year even if the results haven't eventuated. I think bad injury luck has also made it a bit worse than it would've been.

Nah, we’ve got a right to expect somewhere near a win against an aging Richmond, particularly when we’re farewelling a club champ and have most of our players.

We were neck and neck with Richmond in the early 10’s. We matched them consistently then and in the early Shaw era which was not so long ago. They’ve got three flags from that period and have every right to be on the down-slide. What’s our excuse?

It’s this constant acceptance of losing that’s setting the club back and I can’t stand it. We should be expecting to win some of these games.

We can’t forever be saying “oh, we were playing xxxx team and we can’t expect to win against them”. When TF is it our turn to be that team? Why are we overawed? When did we become such an inconsequential bunch of nice guys who are just happy to be there? We’ve spent 20 odd years being made to feel like we have no right to be the best in the league and it’s actually pathetic.

If you apply that logic I would have won Wimbledon

Instead I played B Division in the bush and gave it away after a winter competition of weekly thrashings

Our mental will does not meet our physical and skill level

Get the physical and skill sets corrected, the mental side will blossom

I thought the midfield was ok? Except for the stoppage clearance dominance from Richmond (which is odd because we usually do ok in stoppages) we looked dangerous and had some real purpose. Greenwood used the ball well, Tarryn was on fire and Powell+Phillips combo looked to be improving in the contests. It was a rather reassuring theme with our young midfield matching it against a team that for about 15 years, has been able to have the stability required to put out performances like they have today. We haven't had that plus we've got injuries to players that would've probably got us over the line today. Losing LDU was the worst possible result and Lmac doing his hammy gave Martin matchups we didn't want to give him.

The most pleasing thing for me this season is Larkey. I have been critical of his running patterns at times and what he does when we're trying to transition, but, recently, he has worked and worked trying to get more shots on goal. Especially when he doesn't get many to start with and knows he can nail the few chances he gets. I was concerned that not having Comben and Zurhaar in there to help out would mean he would be struggling to hit the scoreboard but it has really been a remarkable effort. Well done number 20!

Tarryn deserves a mention for possibly playing one of the best games of his career today. His clearances were first class, the give and go, the anticipation running inside 50 (the North faithful where I was sitting might've needed some new jeans) and his contest work made for some truly elite viewing. Has been very good this season. Well done.

As much as I don't like the Xerri we've had the last few weeks, watching him closely today I think he can improve his tap work with some dedicated coaching. It's actually not too bad, but if he can improve that and get his contested marking up to scratch, he will be our main ruck. There's something there to work with, but it's only something at this stage. I'd still have Goldy get another year though.

Paul Curtis has really shown a lot in the last few weeks. It wasn't pretty to start with battling illness and then some form issues, but he must be giving Vlastuin nightmares because he was great today. His fend-off strength is so underrated. He will be a very good player.

Sheezel is probably the best rookie debut I have seen with my own eyes watching from the stands. I wasn't old enough to witness Carey in his prime, but watching this bloke has been incredible. He is a star. Elite. Gun.

Scott has been the most improved player this year bringing his wing game to another level. I still think he panics at times to clear the ball out of the area when he can just hold it up or give it off, but he creates so many opportunities for us and I feel like his work this year with Shiels is possibly the reason why he has gone to another level. Been huge.

Tucker's form since the Melbourne game has been decent. It's kinda funny that EVERY loose ball I've seen dribbled toward the goals has been forced through by him lol. It looks like that brain-fade in Tassie really hit home.

Ford is best 22 and will continue to develop. Missed some gettable shots today but he has been clutch in a few games this year. It will happen for him. That 2020 draft perhaps is ok after all?

Howe's form is best not to be talked about. The same can be said for Perez.

Goater needs to be given every opportunity to get continuity. It's clear the new game plan has got him hooked on taking the game on and biting off the kick that we wouldn't touch (preferring to kick down the line like we used to for yonks) but I would rather he make the mistakes now, learn from them and then become the player we want him to be.

Drury we need to see more of.

Taylor's form since being dropped has been a lot better. Needs to bloody hit the gym and he can become our defensive midfielder.

If McKay leaves, I think I share the same sentiment as the coaches do. It's not the end of the world because although he can intercept really well, he can't do it zoning. It's a glaring issue that I think would create more headaches than solve problems. Corr is the better defender at this stage and can use wheels to cover the ground.

...and lastly, thank you Jack for everything mate. I smiled when you took that shot for goal from the boundary as it went out on the full. Once upon a time that was a kick you would've nailed in a final that meant so much to us. You've been a champion, warrior, and legend of the club but most importantly, a Shinboner.

The next journey awaits.

Tucker - Wardlaw
Turner - Zuhaar
JZ - LDU
Goldy/Xerri - Chom
Taylor - George
Howe - Stephenson
Greenwood - Logue

That’s a completely different team.

Hopefully we can draft 4-5 top 20 talents this year at the draft.

Get another preseason into

Sheez
Wardlaw
Phillips
Powell
Goater
Ford
Curtis
Thomas
Comben

It will turn quickly when it does.

I tapped the shpulder of a tigres fan somewhat my senior on the walk back to the city post game and asked him what he thought of it all, without lifting his 3yes he said "not much of a game". correct i said. Maybe theres signs of the next premiership team in there somewhere. "Dont see much really, time will tell tho Ispose". Mmm i said at least your era had some flags tho eh.. he looked up "oh your north". "Tough times we were against a bottom side for these milestones". yeah, you remember being this low? member we taught your mob to hate loosing untill they eventually they got sick of it. "Well your team might come good, time will tell".

* off Yoda.

I thought the midfield was ok? Except for the stoppage clearance dominance from Richmond (which is odd because we usually do ok in stoppages) we looked dangerous and had some real purpose. Greenwood used the ball well, Tarryn was on fire and Powell+Phillips combo looked to be improving in the contests. It was a rather reassuring theme with our young midfield matching it against a team that for about 15 years, has been able to have the stability required to put out performances like they have today. We haven't had that plus we've got injuries to players that would've probably got us over the line today. Losing LDU was the worst possible result and Lmac doing his hammy gave Martin matchups we didn't want to give him.

The most pleasing thing for me this season is Larkey. I have been critical of his running patterns at times and what he does when we're trying to transition, but, recently, he has worked and worked trying to get more shots on goal. Especially when he doesn't get many to start with and knows he can nail the few chances he gets. I was concerned that not having Comben and Zurhaar in there to help out would mean he would be struggling to hit the scoreboard but it has really been a remarkable effort. Well done number 20!

Tarryn deserves a mention for possibly playing one of the best games of his career today. His clearances were first class, the give and go, the anticipation running inside 50 (the North faithful where I was sitting might've needed some new jeans) and his contest work made for some truly elite viewing. Has been very good this season. Well done.

As much as I don't like the Xerri we've had the last few weeks, watching him closely today I think he can improve his tap work with some dedicated coaching. It's actually not too bad, but if he can improve that and get his contested marking up to scratch, he will be our main ruck. There's something there to work with, but it's only something at this stage. I'd still have Goldy get another year though.

Paul Curtis has really shown a lot in the last few weeks. It wasn't pretty to start with battling illness and then some form issues, but he must be giving Vlastuin nightmares because he was great today. His fend-off strength is so underrated. He will be a very good player.

Sheezel is probably the best rookie debut I have seen with my own eyes watching from the stands. I wasn't old enough to witness Carey in his prime, but watching this bloke has been incredible. He is a star. Elite. Gun.

Scott has been the most improved player this year bringing his wing game to another level. I still think he panics at times to clear the ball out of the area when he can just hold it up or give it off, but he creates so many opportunities for us and I feel like his work this year with Shiels is possibly the reason why he has gone to another level. Been huge.

Tucker's form since the Melbourne game has been decent. It's kinda funny that EVERY loose ball I've seen dribbled toward the goals has been forced through by him lol. It looks like that brain-fade in Tassie really hit home.

Ford is best 22 and will continue to develop. Missed some gettable shots today but he has been clutch in a few games this year. It will happen for him. That 2020 draft perhaps is ok after all?

Howe's form is best not to be talked about. The same can be said for Perez.

Goater needs to be given every opportunity to get continuity. It's clear the new game plan has got him hooked on taking the game on and biting off the kick that we wouldn't touch (preferring to kick down the line like we used to for yonks) but I would rather he make the mistakes now, learn from them and then become the player we want him to be.

Drury we need to see more of.

Taylor's form since being dropped has been a lot better. Needs to bloody hit the gym and he can become our defensive midfielder.

If McKay leaves, I think I share the same sentiment as the coaches do. It's not the end of the world because although he can intercept really well, he can't do it zoning. It's a glaring issue that I think would create more headaches than solve problems. Corr is the better defender at this stage and can use wheels to cover the ground.

...and lastly, thank you Jack for everything mate. I smiled when you took that shot for goal from the boundary as it went out on the full. Once upon a time that was a kick you would've nailed in a final that meant so much to us. You've been a champion, warrior, and legend of the club but most importantly, a Shinboner.

The next journey awaits.
Well written 👏 👏.... bravo

Nah, we’ve got a right to expect somewhere near a win against an aging Richmond, particularly when we’re farewelling a club champ and have most of our players.

We were neck and neck with Richmond in the early 10’s. We matched them consistently then and in the early Shaw era which was not so long ago. They’ve got three flags from that period and have every right to be on the down-slide. What’s our excuse?

It’s this constant acceptance of losing that’s setting the club back and I can’t stand it. We should be expecting to win some of these games.

We can’t forever be saying “oh, we were playing xxxx team and we can’t expect to win against them”. When TF is it our turn to be that team? Why are we overawed? When did we become such an inconsequential bunch of nice guys who are just happy to be there? We’ve spent 20 odd years being made to feel like we have no right to be the best in the league and it’s actually pathetic.
Weird take. There have been a number of games this season that North could and should have won and everyone was duly disappointed. We’ve talked plenty about what was not good enough. And we can also talk about what has been encouraging to see - coming off two wooden spoons, hoping for a fresh start then losing our coach for most of the season, and rarely having all of our limited stock of very good players available, it is good to acknowledge the positives we see as this wretched year draws to an end.

”Accept losing”? What the hell else are we going to do? Switch to a winninger club? We are supporters, we keep investing and we keep showing up. In seasons when we can take on anyone, and seasons where nothing seems to go right. I don’t see how that sets a club back, all clubs’ supporters are the same and every season some of them see their club win the whole thing. It’s what happens in the club that will propel North to success or not - it won’t be the tenor of comments on Bigfooty.

Bailey Scott is getting close to his Dads level of impact

Weird take. There have been a number of games this season that North could and should have won and everyone was duly disappointed. We’ve talked plenty about what was not good enough. And we can also talk about what has been encouraging to see - coming off two wooden spoons, hoping for a fresh start then losing our coach for most of the season, and rarely having all of our limited stock of very good players available, it is good to acknowledge the positives we see as this wretched year draws to an end.

”Accept losing”? What the hell else are we going to do? Switch to a winninger club? We are supporters, we keep investing and we keep showing up. In seasons when we can take on anyone, and seasons where nothing seems to go right. I don’t see how that sets a club back, all clubs’ supporters are the same and every season some of them see their club win the whole thing. It’s what happens in the club that will propel North to success or not - it won’t be the tenor of comments on Bigfooty.

Agreed.

Have a read of the Cats Board this morning

Tiny cameo on the screen for Tarrant retiring, not one highlight of him in a Roos jumper.

Guess this is the go for players who were guns in the competition but went somewhere else in the twilight of their career.

Should have been celebrated like Ziebell and Cunnington have been, wonder if he regrets the move now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played with a lot of character today. It was good to watch. Need to keep bringing in blokes with character.
Character and athleticism.

I want athletes. I'm not a greedy man.

Sat behind the goals at the City end yesterday.

I'd forgotten how fat the G is. Most of our players plodded into space. Geez they plodded.

Who are they?

I haven't got all day so to save me time the exceptions are:

Sheezel
Scott
Tucker
Thomas
Goater
Ford

Depressing.

Oh well we know Goldy is cooked , X is not the answer either.
Howe - cost us momentum in the 2 nd quarter when kicking it backwards to Dusty- absolute hack .
Drury - has there even been less impact from a sub playing half a game?
Goater - major issues with his kicking and can’t play in defence.
McKay - shudder to think how many more games we’ll lose by bigger margins next year without him .
Goater is a good example of our fans being ridiculously presumptious in the Brady thread calling him a success/good selection. Still too early but the worry is he’s another poor kick in a team full of them.

Drury is another poor selection albeit a late one - already confident Harvey is much better than Hansen Jr, Spicer and Drury, noting that it’s not a compliment to say that - pretty much anyone is. We’ve picked abysmally when it comes to small forwards.

Goldy is cooked? He’s still better than Xerri. More confidence going into games with Goldy than Xerri next season knowing that neither of them are our future and will be on the list in 3 years time.

And yeah Howe is just crap.

Can the club please demand more from the players?

And get rid of those who have shown over an extended period that they aren't good enough?

We aren't fit. We don't kick to advantage. Same sloppy players fumbling & killing momentum.

Good on you, Jack, you put it all on the line. Have a happy post-footy life.
It’s a good point. When i’m not on my phone and at a pc I might try and find some statistics on our scoring and inside 50 numbers quarter by quarter this season. We definitely drop off which isn’t a good reflection on the fitness staff. And before anyone stupidly says it ‘young’ isn’t an excuse… other young sides run out games fine. We don’t.

Bailey Scott is getting close to his Dads level of impact
He’ll be a good AFL player with a long career. Will never be an a-grader as his kicking and decision making is at best average but it doesn’t change the fact his other attributes make him effective and someone who will play a lot of AFL games.

It’s not a weird take at all. The “weird” thing to me is how everyone had been duped and Stockholm-syndromed into not being more outraged at the loser culture this club is now renowned for.

It’s not a weird take at all. The “weird” thing to me is how everyone had been duped and Stockholm-syndromed into not being more outraged at the loser culture this club is now renowned for.
Ok, you film yourself melting your digital membership, or go and tip some manure on Arden St, or spit on players leaving the ground, so when North next wins a flag you can credit yourself for turning things around by NOT ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY.

Ok, you film yourself melting your digital membership, or go and tip some manure on Arden St, or spit on players leaving the ground, so when North next wins a flag you can credit yourself for turning things around by NOT ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY.
IF north wins a flag. I know everyone is sitting there patting each other on the back, laughing and thinking another flag is inevitable, but it’s not. Not unless they stop accepting these amateur mistakes and change a lot of things at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back