Umpiring The Umpiring Dissent Rule - Discuss Here

Do you agree with the zero tolerance on umpire abuse?

• Yes, abuse has going on for far too long and zero tolerance is the way

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • Yes I’m for a stronger line but not 50 metre penalties unless it’s serious abuse

Votes: 73 26.1%
  • Not really, we have rules in place already about umpire contact and abuse, leave it as is.

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • No, it’s an emotional game and players need to let it out.

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Boooooooo, maggots

Votes: 29 10.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It could be , depending how it is channeled. Its not difficult to work it out.

Rather than worrying about all the possible nuances of the rule, why not wait and see how things have panned in a few weeks as it settles in. Its an easy rule to follow , so should be no issues
this

overreactions abound, and also overcorrections, until a sort of balance is achieved (it is the AFL of course)

jeez if rugby players can handle it so can footy players. "This is not soccer." (I love Nigel Owens)

No on second thought let's be just like soccer and have no maturity or self-control at all. That will be great viewing. Better than the game even. :grinv1:

this

overreactions abound, and also overcorrections, until a sort of balance is achieved (it is the AFL of course)

jeez if rugby players can handle it so can footy players. "This is not soccer." (I love Nigel Owens)

No on second thought let's be just like soccer and have no maturity or self-control at all. That will be great viewing. Better than the game even. :grinv1:

I have a RL background. When my son began playing Aussie rules i began watching if only to learn the game. I was amazed at how players treated umpires compared to how RL players behave. In RL only the captain is supposed to talk to the ref. Even saying 'bullshit' running past a ref after a bad call was made can get you binned. Like, RL has been like this as long as i can remember.

But admittedly AFL is a different game. Many more decisions are made over a much longer period. Umpires get fatigue. Fatigue creates bad decision making. SAS purposely get soldiers fatigued then make them do mental acuity exercises, for training.

Much like cricket, If there was a 'captains challenge' for critical decisions, players would be appealing their captain instead of the umpire. Like cricket, you only get perhaps 1 or 2 challenges. You lose, you lose your challenges, which stops frivolous appeals. Players have some control in the outcomes instead of the complete focus on the field umpires.

Also, appealing with ones arms out isn't dissent. Walking towards an umpire spewing verbs with ones arms out, is.. lets not allow umpires to become too precious. Take some pressure off them by allowing a 'captains challenge'. Put the pressure on the reviewers upstairs.

However, if all these bizzare 'dissent' rules are just an exercise in social engineering, nothing one says, no ammount of common sence will make any difference. And at the moment, thats exactly how it looks.

I don't disagree but you can't have it both ways, you either allow for a bit of back and forth as long as it's done in the right fashion or you cut it out altogether.

Best umps I ever played under had some wicked banter and gave as good as they got from players. Ironically those were the ones who when someone overstepped the mark were the first to have a bunch of players jump to their defence and call out the dickhead player.
Yeah, I think that's the way it should be. When I go through my Facebook friends list it includes many players, club officials and even supporters from my comp. People respect your position but it doesn't mean you can't be friends with them.

this

We've already got enough serial divers!!! :)

At Junior level supporters are right there in super close proximity as sometimes you'll have 2 or 3 or 4 games going on at once on the same field (like AUSKICK at HT of an AFL game) and it's easy to hear them and see them in action and that's where it's most dangerous as they are crowded around that tiny space - with ONLY one umpire though you only have one line of sight and everyone on the boundary often see things field umpire's can't see (due to pack formation/mass player gathering or contesting the ball in one spot)

This is why positioning is important - but umpires can only call what they can see with their own two eyes - parents, coaches and supporters need to COMPREHEND that (not always possible and they often need a fair dinkum explanation to grasp it)

Youth level onwards where it's full size field and they are behind the fence is way easier to deal with
This is under 8s/9s level yeah? And there are lunatic parents going off at umpires at that age? The world is stuffed.

Damien Barret with the call of the week.

Hey AFL if you're all about umpire dissent and penalising a player for reacting to a decision, how about doing the same when they appeal for a free kick. 5 players with their arms out complaining to the umpire when the ball goes over the boundary is OK, but 1 player doing that after a free kick is not on......

AFL fools once again

Its all going to be okay

So what we've learnt from the first half of tonight's game is that still no one knows what dissent is, and despite what Brad Scott said earlier this week, umpires, players, commentators, the media and fans are still, and will still be confused as to what dissent is.

So, what we know at the end of the game this Friday night is that the players adjusted quickly to the dissent rule.

Let's see how the weekend games go. Will most afl players be able to adapt to the new rule, or will there be a number of slow learners?

So, what we know at the end of the game this Friday night is that the players adjusted quickly to the dissent rule.

Let's see how the weekend games go. Will most afl players be able to adapt to the new rule, or will there be a number of slow learners?

Completely disagree.

To me, it looked like that umpires didn't pay any of the free kicks that we were told will be free kicks. Case in point: Ben Long in quarter 1.

Furthermore, the one 50m that they did pay for dissent was probably for something that we didn't expect to be classified as dissent.

Completely disagree.

To me, it looked like that umpires didn't pay any of the free kicks that we were told will be free kicks. Case in point: Ben Long in quarter 1.

Furthermore, the one 50m that they did pay for dissent was probably for something that we didn't expect to be classified as dissent.
2 incidents!
Burn the house down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to what Brad Scott said, more than 2 incidents missed.
How many? Where's the quote?
And so what, are you expecting perfection?

And how many other frees missed?

Or are we not worrying about those any more?

Honestly, folk just trying to make this into more than what it is because...I haven't heard aby good reasons yet. Perhaps you have some...

Fix the interpretations and the dissent wouldn't be as much of a problem.

We have players at every single club now flopping and diving and constantly being rewarded, except now they get the daily double as they are rewarded again with a 50m penalty if anyone raises their arms in disgust.

******* s**t show.

Of course, the umpires will be lauded in the finals as per when they actually put their whistles away and don't pay the bullshit they pay all season long.

The games a parody of what it once was.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are told this dissent rule is to keep umpires in the game at lower levels. How about they suspend players for a year for dissent. Soon enough with the shortage of players at all levels the need for umpire numbers will be dealt with.

How many? Where's the quote?
And so what, are you expecting perfection?

And how many other frees missed?

Or are we not worrying about those any more?

Honestly, folk just trying to make this into more than what it is because...I haven't heard aby good reasons yet. Perhaps you have some...

Well, they've just gone over 7 on AFL Live on Fox Footy where, according to Brad Scott earlier in the week, should've been free kicks that weren't paid, and I guarantee that they would be more.

And we're not expecting perfection, but when we're told by the AFL themselves that dissent is dissent and that there is no gtey area to this, and that older umpires have been told that even if they don't mind it, still pay it, then paying the least obvious one tonight is a shambles.

Well, they've just gone over 7 on AFL Live on Fox Footy where, according to Brad Scott earlier in the week, should've been free kicks that weren't paid, and I guarantee that they would be more.

And we're not expecting perfection, but when we're told by the AFL themselves that dissent is dissent and that there is no gtey area to this, and that older umpires have been told that even if they don't mind it, still pay it, then paying the least obvious one tonight is a shambles.
A shambles?
Overreaction

Back