The umpiring in the VFL is better than in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

muttonchops

Club Legend
Feb 24, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I have watched a number of VFL games this year and in the past and i am always puzzled as to why the umpiring is better in the VFL games than it is in the AFL. I actually think it is a very simple question to answer. They don't complicate it. I don't see to many iffy free kicks, they seem to pay the obvious ones and let it go a bit. Yeah they miss the odd one but who doesn't. All in all they seem to let the play flow and don't over umpire. I urge people to have a look and see for themselves.

Does anyone share this same opinion. I think it stands out quite a bit when i watch.

My theory on it though, is that the AFL umpires think they are a little bit more part of the game than they really are. In the VFL they are not in the spotlight as much so they just go about their business and do it very well with little fanfare. In the AFL however it is a different story they go looking for free kicks rather than just paying the obvious.

The game is slower plus there is less pressure from the crowds, media etc.

That and there's a reason why they're in the VFL. They're not good enough to pick out the frees which those who make it to the AFL do see. Just because less free's are given in the VFL doesnt mean it's umpired better.

I have watched a number of VFL games this year and in the past and i am always puzzled as to why the umpiring is better in the VFL games than it is in the AFL. I actually think it is a very simple question to answer. They don't complicate it. I don't see to many iffy free kicks, they seem to pay the obvious ones and let it go a bit. Yeah they miss the odd one but who doesn't. All in all they seem to let the play flow and don't over umpire. I urge people to have a look and see for themselves.

Does anyone share this same opinion. I think it stands out quite a bit when i watch.

My theory on it though, is that the AFL umpires think they are a little bit more part of the game than they really are. In the VFL they are not in the spotlight as much so they just go about their business and do it very well with little fanfare. In the AFL however it is a different story they go looking for free kicks rather than just paying the obvious.

As AG said, less pressure overall.

how many ump's are there in a VFL game?

Have an opinion on the umpiring, try filling in my survey:

I am researching the AFL umpires and our perceptions of their performance.

Would very much appreciate you taking a few minutes to complete this voluntary survey (link below). Rest assured your answers will remain completely anonymous.

http://opinio.online.swin.edu.au/s?s=AFL_Umpires_2010

Please feel free to pass it on to any friends and associates who might like to have their say!

Thanks
Rob Gill
Swinburne University of Technology

Remove this Banner Ad

Back