Random The weekly list - Movie Portrayls of real people

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Trifle. All of this talk about trifle reminds me of my grandmother, who is very sick at the moment. She had a recipe she always used, which I was lucky enough to get a copy of before Alzheimer's took her memory. None of your trifles can compete with that! :p

2. Cheesecake. All of the cheesecakes.

2b. Key lime pie as well!

3. Christmas pudding with brandy custard. Or just the brandy custard by itself... I could eat that stuff all day every day. You have to flame the pudding though. It's not the same if you don't.

3b. Speaking of custard, dubbelvla! Two flavours, one carton :D
4280768477_92f6a76b0c_o.jpg

4. Sticky date pudding, as long as it's not burnt. For some reason I've been unlucky and just about every second time I've had it at a restaurant they've managed to burn the sauce. Blergh. Like you need to take it far enough that it isn't super sweet, but do you have to burn it? :( If it's on the menu I usually pick something else for that reason, even though a good one is ace.

5. Toblerone Mousse. Like chocolate mousse, but better. Very rich though.

Honourable Mention: Snot blocks. You gotta eat it upside down ;)

as requested by the cheesiest of all mods Doss and the king of troll CHEESE DERO here we have the top 5 cheese list.

I must say, VERY hard to narrow down a list like this to 5, I expect most wont be able to.

First of all, being brought up Italian, cheese was a staple part of my upbringing - but I ended up being very Italian cheese centric (not a bad thing!) but I didn't really branch out til much later on in life. I still don't have a hugely adventurous taste for cheese, I like my staples. I still cant go the blue veins, the gorganzolas, stiltons, any of the pungent ones ect - not my cup of tea.

I grew up on a lot of Ricotta, in fact we were sometimes made to just eat it with a spoon! eeuughh I still quite like it made into patties with parsley and egg, fried off - but, you know what? I could live without ricotta.

...and another thing, a lot of times cheese comes into its own with its accompaniments - not just on the plate, but where you are, and who you are with, its a very social thing! (or what wine is on offer)

For example one night in the swiss alps we met up with a few friends and sat in this bar, by an open fire, they brought out a raclette of Gruyere just hovering over a little flame, as the cheese slowly melted off you scaped it onto some crusty bread with a bit of this or that - the wine, the surroundings. it was the best! ... but would it make the list sitting at home in my fridge? no chance.

upload_2017-9-8_8-25-9.jpeg

mmmm i'm actually salivating..

ok lets hit this list!

First of all the king of cheese probably has to be the old parmigiano reggiano - but I cant add it - its not often I, or anyone? would sit there quaffing it - but it does make the difference to every dish whilst cooking with it. maybe its more of a condiment?? I don't mind shaving a bit off now and then.. but its generally relegated to the fridge to be grated onto anything and everything..

6. a good Buffalo Mozzerela

images

definitely a quality thing here - has to be a good one, not those little rubber balls they sell in tubs. Not many better things than a little broken ball of buffalo covered in olive oil, pepper and some basil. Simple perfection. Not a very strong taste, its more about the velvety texture. or fried in bread crumbs.. so good!

5. Provolone

images

as a kid we would go to the deli every sat morning after the supermarket and id always see the the hanging balls of provolone. After getting my routine free tasting slices of salami, mortedella and ham id get to choose our weekly ball... Dad always got to get the knob (fitting) but I always remember just sitting back on the couch with the ball in one hand, and a knife in the other, just slicing it away and eating it... mmm. They are from the south of italy and can be sharp or sweet - but always very edible! good luck having a ball last a week.

4. Haloumi

images

I came late to the party on this stuff... I was at a restaurant once and my mate ordered saganaki, i'm like what? your ordering cheese? next minute i'm a little angry but very hooked. I was so angry it took me 34 years to discover it! I guess the café crowd has gone nuts on it in Melbourne but I don't see a problem with that... there is an art to cooking it though, no point just getting it brown on all sides then your mouth is squeaking like a rusty gate. Have to cook it nice and slow, so its still a little goey inside! I ate a full block the other weekend.. was drinking water for days...so salty, so good.

3. Camembert

upload_2017-9-8_8-43-23.jpeg

I assume most generally go for brie but I think I like this stuff better - it seems a touch firmer and has a little bit more taste - plus it always comes in smaller discs where the brie is supposed to be in large wheels cut into wedges (think its changed now) Not many better things than wafting a bit of this on a cracker post dinner

2. Crumbly sharp vintage chedder

images

I assume chedder probably nearly got drowned out in the plastic square wrapped supermarket cheese revolution, people confusing it for 'tasty' cheese or whatever - but things are ubiquitous for a reason - because they are good! You can take your milder versions, im all in for the strong, powerful sharp crumbly old cheddars, that makes your eye flicker - that's a cheese!

1. Jarlsberg

upload_2017-9-8_8-45-23.jpeg

ok, probably controversial - I understand i've maybe just listed the coke or mars bar of cheeses here - but if it tastes good?

again not classy post dinner fare here..

im quite partial to any good swiss cheese - im not even sure this stuff is actually a swiss cheese but I buy a wedge every week and not a day goes by that I don't walk past the fridge and slice a bit off, love the texture, the tangy yet sweet taste. My mate used to buy a wheel for peoples birthday, now hats a gift!

ok cheese heads, have at it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) a really good double brie
2) a really good camembert
3) a crumbly vintage cheddar (Mersey Valley Ploughmans is brilliant for the price)
4) Gouda
5) Blue cheese in stuff - I can't stand it on it's own on a cracker but on pizza or as a melty cheese on stuff is great

1) a really good double brie
2) a really good camembert
3) a crumbly vintage cheddar (Mersey Valley Ploughmans is brilliant for the price)
4) Gouda
5) Blue cheese in stuff - I can't stand it on it's own on a cracker but on pizza or as a melty cheese on stuff is great

on 5, we used to have a gorgonzola pasta sauce at the restaurant - was pretty much a big scoop of gorg, and cream - talk about richness!

pretty much the same as Scezza except substitute blue for Gouda l, add in goat's cheese at number 5.

If I was putting 5 cheeses on a cheese plate:

Fromager d'afinois
Meredith marinated goat's cheese
Shadow of the blue/ King island roaring forties
Mersey Valley cheddar
Maybe a washed rind

Last edited:
Love cheese but I'm not too adventurous, I won't eat anything smelly or with veins.
I eat lots of pasta, so have lots of parmesan. (Not the powdered rubbish)
And when I make a cheese sauce I only use parmy, it's real tasty!

And a nice bitey tasty cheese also gets consumed a lot.
My favourite at the moment is Great Ocean Road Vintage Cheddar, which Coles has.
Even better melted!

Also, couldn't not post this.

No love for Watsonia? That stuff is rich, it basically turns to cream in your mouth.

Also brie and Camembert must be eaten at room temperature, it tastes sooooooo much better (as long as the room isn't too hot!)

heh - room temperature!

its like when you ask someone how far something is and they say 'walking distance'

well to Michael Long, Canberra is walking distance.. give me clarity!

heh - room temperature!

its like when you ask someone how far something is and they say 'walking distance'

well to Michael Long, Canberra is walking distance.. give me clarity!

There's always a smart arse in every room!

If it's too hot to drink red wine then room temperature is probably too hot to leave cheese out for long.

No love for Watsonia? That stuff is rich, it basically turns to cream in your mouth.

Also brie and Camembert must be eaten at room temperature, it tastes sooooooo much better (as long as the room isn't too hot!)
At the very least it needs to be out of the fridge for a decent amount of time. Can't be straight out of the fridge unless you're desperate for a cheese hit (which I usually am :oops:)

definitely!

I hadn't even thought of cheese...

I had a mate years ago that had a strange habit of giving people a quarter or half or even full wheel of Jarsberg for their birthday

how goods that for a gift!
I had a mate I was sharing a house with back in the mid 00's. Every time, and I'm not joking here, every time he knew we were going to hit the pubs he'd buy a slab of crackerbarrell or some sort of hard cheese. The next morning he was always found with said slab of yellow either in his hand asleep in bed or on the floor in a crumbled mess and cheese everywhere. Insane.

1. Bega Tasty the all rounder
  2. Dutch smoked cheddar (the basic stuff you get at Coles, nothing fancy)
  3. A good double/triple Brie
  4. Milawa ashed goat's cheese
  5. Tarago River Shadows of Blue
Special mention to Mersey Valley Pickled Onion Tasty, and also to smoking a wheel of Brie in its wooden case on the Webber, yum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back