List Mgmt. The Whipping Boys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup. Skills are really important but they are not the be all and end all. They are treated as the be all and end all.

Really, no team in the league gives a s**t if a player is a hit and miss kick if they're going to reliably go in hard and produce at a good level without too many fumbles. They'll just eventually find them a role where they can hide those kicking skills if they're not producing at a top line midfielder level (i.e. mid-to-bottom rotation forward or lock down defender).
Interesting take, and in most regards I agree. it is however a fact that if we had kicked 1 or 2 more goals instead of behinds every game last year we would have been top 4. Kicking for goal cost us 4 games and any analysis of the modern game would show a clear correlation between turn overs from missing targets and losing games.

I love Keays and Murphy’s pressure and work rate, but missing easy conversions just hurts the team in so many ways.

Aaron Rogers did his Achilles at the same time as Schoey and is in full training and close to playing. He’s 40 years old.
I am no expert but I'm fairly certain you don't need the most solid legs to get into the pocket and throw a dime in the NFL. Hard to say the same for an AFL midfielder clocking nearly 12km every game...

I think Parnell's disposal got a lot worse after his big concussion. Hammil also lost something after his repeated concussions too.

I didn't rate Parnell because of his small frame, but it's a horrible tragedy to see a player/person lose something because of an injury, especially a brain injury. Even Schoenberg doing his achilles and Murray's acl is terrible to see for a young athlete. Not sure Schoenberg can come back from that, it takes two years after an achilles before you're at the level you were before.

McHenry is another who has been concussed in games (and even played them out), I think by Lycett? Or some ruckman? I think he got worse afterwards too, especially the repeated head knocks he gets. I don't rate McHenry or Murphy but you can tell they play with all their heart, which is about as much as you can ask for as a fan. It's not their fault they're limited athletes and footballers.

Hey, could you please link the source for these assertions? Some seem weird, like "elite in R50s" etc.. would love to learn more

Those individual ratings are from the freely available stats on the AFL home page (under AFL stat pro). Just go averages -> benchmark which will give a somewhat crude measure of how they compare to similar players.

A lot of it is wierd because there is a filtering to it's rating systems. I.e. the elite r50 is due to being compared to other general forwards - either high or low midfield minutes seeing it does also seem to take that into account - so the number is still low.

Whilst weird, I did mention it because it assists the argument that Murphy is primarily there to help with transition and to be an extra outside runner. After all, that's the main story that comes out of his numbers. By position, R50 doesn't have a lot of relevance with Murphy being good, it's just giving a clue as to how we've constrained his role and what we're expecting out of him playing.

Last edited:
Thing with Parnell is, at his size, he needs to provide top notch speed and run/carry, and/or zone-breaking kicking

I’m not sure he provides either at AFL level

Interesting take, and in most regards I agree. it is however a fact that if we had kicked 1 or 2 more goals instead of behinds every game last year we would have been top 4. Kicking for goal cost us 4 games and any analysis of the modern game would show a clear correlation between turn overs from missing targets and losing games.

I love Keays and Murphy’s pressure and work rate, but missing easy conversions just hurts the team in so many ways.
You do realise that Adelaide was already the highest scoring team last year, during the H&A season? Our forward line was NOT the reason why we failed to make the finals.

Murphy is my whipping boy (and Ned until last year not being played).

I was so excited in round 1 last year when both Murph and Ned weren't in our best 22. I thought that was a good reflection on our team being improved.

For some reason the selectors seem to like him though. He gets dropped late in the year, but there's a late out, so gets a late reprieve, and then he's best 22 once more. We just don't seem to be able to get rid of him from our best 22. And I don't believe he is in our best 22.

He's a small forward, but contributes very little to the goal tally. Last I checked forwards were meant to kick goals, but I have been accused of being 'behind the times'. He's also not a reliable shot for goal, and for someone who has very little shots, he can't afford to be.

If a 'non statistical role' was a thing, he's be a superstar at it.

Sure, however every player is going to miss a lot of conversions - and easy ones as well - as the season wears on. It's the whole numbers game thing where if you go at 60% KE% as a forward - which is somewhere between solid to good - that 40% is going to eventually add up. One of our major problems was it wasn't one player who'd go ice cold, it was everyone, regardless of skill level. There really isn't anything there to say Keay or Murphy did an unusually poor job in these facets. For instance, in terms of a raw turnover/disposal ratio and goal accuracy (ripped from stat pro) for our six main small forwards:

Rachele: 4.4 disposals per turnover | 39.2% goal accuracy
Rankine: 4.6 d/t | 45.6% ga
Keays: 5.7 d/t | 44.9% ga
Pedlar: 3.9 d/t | 48.1% ga
Murphy: 4.9 d/t | 41.4% ga
McAdam: 5.1 d/t | 66.7% ga

It's all pretty similar across the board. None look particularly bad when looking at the raw number for other sides, outside of Rachele and Murphy goal accuracies which are both drifting to that territory for small forwards. At least Murphy is a low shot volume kind of guy. McAdam does stand out for being an exceptional shot at goal this year though.

My impression is it's a bit more systematic then it's a couple of the lower tiered guys bringing it down. It may indicate an all-round issue with leadership. Also potentially a level of back luck or a fatigue element as this is the first iteration of us being an outside reliant side - on top of a high pressure one and being rather young throughout our lineup. We may also be willing to take on more difficult shots than others. I kind of lean to a mix of leadership/fatigue/general game plan development being the causes seeing we did end the year in the middle of the pack for goal kicking accuracy and it did tend to be very hit and miss.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aspire to being a hard running, contested playing style team.

To do that you need to pressure the ball carrier and get numbers around the stoppage

No one wills themselves from contest to contest like Keays.

The reason it looks like he’s always there is because he is

I’ve watched most of last year’s games over the off season, and maybe (again) I’ve been too harsh on McHenry.

What I remember is all the fumbling - what I forget is all the good stuff he does.

Extremely hard runner, tackles hard, doesn’t pick when to go, surprisingly good disposal into the forward 50 … he fills the team brief pretty well.

Might just have to give him another chance in 2024 and find a new Whipping Boy to target

I am no expert but I'm fairly certain you don't need the most solid legs to get into the pocket and throw a dime in the NFL. Hard to say the same for an AFL midfielder clocking nearly 12km every game...

an NFL quarterback is the most over rated skill in world sport. Its one of the least played professional sports in the world and the grass roots only come from the select few. I'd back any professional sport to be harder to achieve success than the con that is NFL

an NFL quarterback is the most over rated skill in world sport. Its one of the least played professional sports in the world and the grass roots only come from the select few. I'd back any professional sport to be harder to achieve success than the con that is NFL
Yet one of the best paid.

BTW, I don't watch NFL.

How many American kids aspire to be a QB growing up,VS How many NFL QB oppourtunities exist?

Id suggest its one of the harder roles in world sport to succeed at.
You dont get kept around in the NFL if youre the Ned Mchenry or Ben Keayes of Quarterback world.

How many American kids aspire to be a QB growing up,VS How many NFL QB oppourtunities exist?

Id suggest its one of the harder roles in world sport to succeed at.
You dont get kept around in the NFL if youre the Ned Mchenry or Ben Keayes of Quarterback world.

Maxx Crosby has turned himself into an elite pass rusher through will, determination and a motor that keeps on coming, over and over and over.

From the scrap heap to the elite, I’d say there’s a few similarities with Keays.

Heart and motor that go on for days

Speaking of American football local lad former Balarat Rebel/Collingwood footballer Flynn Applebey making waves as a punter in the USA. Cousin golfer Stuart Appleby goes alright too...

Curiously Arryn Siposs played in last years Super Bowl, and probably lost his team the game when an appalling punt was returned for the biggest gain in Super Bowl history

Who did he take time from then?
He took time from somebody.

Berry dropped out, and Sloane picked up about a third of Berrys. Schoenberg also dropped out and Dawson came in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maxx Crosby has turned himself into an elite pass rusher through will, determination and a motor that keeps on coming, over and over and over.

From the scrap heap to the elite, I’d say there’s a few similarities with Keays.

Heart and motor that go on for days

Yeah but whats his left foot like?

J/K, I am talking Quarterback though. Seems I misread the post Im responding to a little.

It is very frustrating watching Sloane take mid time from the kids, and Murphy doesn't kick enough goals as a forward. Other than that no real frustrations. Not expecting Sholl, Butts or McHenry to be in the side long term

McHenry cancels himself out. I wish he played for an other club.
He's a trier nothing more. We've got more talented young players coming through now. Hopefully young guys like Taylor and Dowling can overtake him this year. If they do I doubt he'll survive after this season.

He's a trier nothing more. We've got more talented young players coming through now. Hopefully young guys like Taylor and Dowling can overtake him this year. If they do I doubt he'll survive after this season.

the likelihood of Taylor or Dowling being more effective than Ned at AFL level is slim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back