The Wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, sent his letter to the client base on email. Doesn't read too well. The thing is, that every winery starts small somewhere. Whilst some grow into a decent business enterprise, the reason that most wine lovers remain loyal to their favourites isn't purely based on the wine alone. There are thousands of different wines at different price points, but loyalty from wine lovers comes from experiences just as much as the wine, and usually the winemaker and/or the staff at the cellar door has something to do with this. I know there are two sides to every story, but even Pete Kight's story sounded very commercial and profit driven. I know it's a tough game to make good money in, but as a humble purchaser, I can be more selective with what I buy. I'll be abstaining from purchasing any Torbreck's myself from now on.

Last night the better-half and I had a 2010 Picardy Chardonnay that I picked up at auction a few months ago. The tight acidity matched by citrus notes made an extremely well balanced wine. I'll be buying more of these in the future.

And showing off a bit here, but off to a wine dinner tonight, and champing at the bit waiting to tuck into this line-up:

2008 Grosset Polish Hill
2005 Georg Breuer "Schlossberg" Riesling
2010 Bass Phillip Premium Pinot
2006 Ata Rangi Pinot
2009 Virgile Lignier-Michelot Clos de La Roche Grande Cru
1996 Penfolds Grange
1996 Penfolds 389
2004 Guigal Cote Rotie Chateau d'Ampuis

I have a 2002 Seppelt Chalambar and a 1998 St Hallett Blackwell to go with a pastie and a sausage roll tomorrow night for the footy. Might be a bit of a fall from grace.

with a list like that you can have a little boast with you toast

Interesting to see that Dave Powell has been kicked out of Torbreck!

Powell hasn't been an owner or even a part owner of Torbreck for almost a decade. Went into receivership in 2002 (probably due to a divorce settlement) to the Hungry Jack's franchise owner in Australia.

in 2008, current owner Kight took over from the HJ guy. Kight also gave Dave Powell a convertible preference share, which lasted for 5 years and could be redeemed if Powell could come up with the funds to buy Torbreck off Kight. The preference share just expired, and Powell didn't have the funds. Kight offered Powell an extension of his duties within Torbreck, and Powell has refused and kicked up a fuss.

From various media sources, Powell looked out of control - Kight has had to cough up for Powell's $92,000 strip club bills in Denmark, $25,000 hotel charges for 3 nights, $10,000-20,000 meals in Tetsuya's, etc.

2008 Grosset Polish Hill
2005 Georg Breuer "Schlossberg" Riesling
2010 Bass Phillip Premium Pinot
2006 Ata Rangi Pinot
2009 Virgile Lignier-Michelot Clos de La Roche Grande Cru
1996 Penfolds Grange
1996 Penfolds 389
2004 Guigal Cote Rotie Chateau d'Ampuis

How did you got with these? Especially the Guigal and the CdlR.

Powell hasn't been an owner or even a part owner of Torbreck for almost a decade. Went into receivership in 2002 (probably due to a divorce settlement) to the Hungry Jack's franchise owner in Australia.

in 2008, current owner Kight took over from the HJ guy. Kight also gave Dave Powell a convertible preference share, which lasted for 5 years and could be redeemed if Powell could come up with the funds to buy Torbreck off Kight. The preference share just expired, and Powell didn't have the funds. Kight offered Powell an extension of his duties within Torbreck, and Powell has refused and kicked up a fuss.

From various media sources, Powell looked out of control - Kight has had to cough up for Powell's $92,000 strip club bills in Denmark, $25,000 hotel charges for 3 nights, $10,000-20,000 meals in Tetsuya's, etc.

Yeah I saw that article today. Talk about a rock star. $92k strip club bill! And he laughed it off as 'oh yeah haha, I remember that, I got the exchange rate wrong'.

You'd wanna get something pretty awesome for $92k!

Ive had a little to do with him in the past and found him to be quite a grating personality. Never brought his wine (found it to be very over priced) and certainly wont start now either.

Feel sorry that hes gone/going bankrupt but clearly hes had a big issue with overt expenditure for a long long time.

How did you got with these? Especially the Guigal and the CdlR.

Was a great night, with 16 enthusiasts there all with differing opinions adding colour to the dinner. The wines were divided into 3 categories, and then went head to head.

Of the Pinot's, the CdlR had the Bass Phillip covered marginally, and was the general consensus of the group. The Ata Rangi was found to be punching out of its weight division, and whilst a nice wine in its own right, lacked the structure and elegance of the other two.

The bold group had the most segregation. Surprisingly (very surprisingly for mine), the majority swayed to the 389 as the highlight wine. For me, the cabernet presence and less complexity of the 389 left it in the other 2 wines shadows, whilst most found it to be lively. Two of the attendees found the fruit content and approachability of the Guigal most appealing, while I felt it was lacking in acidity and depth. Only 3 of us had the Grange on top (myself included), and thought it was right up there with fantastic Grange vintages. Will go for a lot longer.

Another surprise, my equal wine of the night was the Breuer Riesling. Magnificent in colour with a nose that was impeccable. Minerally and citrussy, with the tones of kerosene good German Rieslings can present. One sip and you just wanted more. You know you're dealing with something decent if a Grosset Polish Hill is a very distant second.

We ended up winding up the night ordering a couple of bottles of Warre's 1994 Vintage Port. Although fantastic, and anything fortified grabbing my attention, was probably a touch unappreciated after we'd put away about 40 bottles prior. Needless to say, there were some pigs there that got a little excited with every new wine on show.

Was a great night, .....

Good to hear that it went well. All pretty handy wines! Would think that the Warre's might be a bit young...although anything would probably go down the hatch at the end of such a salubrious night!

I've not tried too many new world pinot noirs with age, however most of the ones I have tried tend to lose precision and become slightly "unknit" in comparison to good Burgs. Maybe my bad luck. The new world pinots look very nice in youth though.

Keep up the good drinking.

For a light red - henry's seven
For dinners at home - cyril
For work - hill of grace (a well known mining entrepreneur in Perth has a three bottle a night habit. That's $1800 a night!)

I like Henry's Seven and the Euphonium when I am splashing out a bit.

The Chappel Hill Parsons Nose Shiraz when you can get it for $12.90 at Dan's is well worth a tipple. The Langhorne Creek wine they had for $6 a bottle the other week was excellent at that price.

Yeah I saw that article today. Talk about a rock star. $92k strip club bill! And he laughed it off as 'oh yeah haha, I remember that, I got the exchange rate wrong'.

You'd wanna get something pretty awesome for $92k!

Ive had a little to do with him in the past and found him to be quite a grating personality. Never brought his wine (found it to be very over priced) and certainly wont start now either.

Feel sorry that hes gone/going bankrupt but clearly hes had a big issue with overt expenditure for a long long time.

What a sad and sorry affair this whole saga has been.

No winners here and a 'car crash' like scenario that has everyone rubber necking...

What is everyone's thoughts on who (wineries et al) do the best Cab Savs? Lately seems to be a lottery. Had some that taste like drinking cleaning fluid and others that are smooth as silk and go great with an alternating white in between.

My favourites would be (in no particular order) Zema Estate, Woodstock, Katnook Estate, Wynns, Punters Corner, Vasse Felix, Woodlands, Sandalford & Knappstein. Mike Press does a fantastic value Cab.

My favourites would be (in no particular order) Zema Estate, Woodstock, Katnook Estate, Wynns, Punters Corner, Vasse Felix, Woodlands, Sandalford & Knappstein. Mike Press does a fantastic value Cab.

some good name in that list

Chris Ringland Reservation Shiraz is a good big bodied wine for those who like a kick!

My fav at the moment is the Gibson Reserve Shiraz. Pretty sure he used to be one of the top Penfolds wine makers.........Around $45 a bottle and great wine.....do yourself a favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Ringland Reservation Shiraz is a good big bodied wine for those who like a kick!

My fav at the moment is the Gibson Reserve Shiraz. Pretty sure he used to be one of the top Penfolds wine makers.........Around $45 a bottle and great wine.....do yourself a favour.

I tried the Gibson recently at a dinner. I was impressed.

Given how many places these days are built on slabs, how do you guys cellar your wine?

I've always just stored it under the house, but looks like this won't be an option at my next place.

Given how many places these days are built on slabs, how do you guys cellar your wine?

I've always just stored it under the house, but looks like this won't be an option at my next place.

I keep the wines I've bought in the bottle shop cellar. Safe storage, logged, insured and recommendations for when to consume.

I've got a 48 dozen locker in a temp controlled wine storage facility. Keep about 5 dozen at home and the rest go in the locker.

Anyone buy from nakedwines.com.au? I got $100 gift card from another company so bought a dozen, cant say Ive heard of much of the stuff on there, not sure I fully understand how their club thing works but a dozen for $60 is not to be sneezed at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back