The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels
A thread to discuss the greatest show of all time. If you have not seen it then avoid this thread and go watch it. Now!

My favourite characters:

Frank Sabotka
Avon Barkesdale
Jimmy McNulty
Snoop

Series in order of preference:

2, 4, 3, 1, 5

Five was still ridiculously good.

I hated Randy. A nice guy at first, but then becomes a snitch. Gets put in that home and turns into a try-hard prick.

Least favourite characters would be:

Snoop
Ziggy Sobotka
Nick Sobotka
Tommy Carcetti
Ervin Burrell

I'm surprised you fell for Carcetti originally. Yes, he semmed like he genuinely cared but within the first(?) episode he sent his wife home from a banquet to cheat on her with another woman. That right there showed he was just another prick.

If I were to watch season 1 again I would probably change my opinion on it a lot. I couldn't follow it for about 4 episodes in and even fell asleep watching it but then it took a turn and became brilliant. If I were to go back - knowing what I know - to watch it then I'm sure it would be a lot more appreciated.

See I didn't think he was a snitch.

I thought Michael and Dukie were better people, because you could see he had elements of a dealer with his candy/chocolate business. However he was never actually in 'the game', and he was roped in to the investigation against his will, and ultimately didn't even give anything up, and suddenly he was a snitch? I think that's bullshit.

I agree that him turning in to a wannabe tough guy was crap, but it's a defence mechanism, and I don't think many would do it differently if it meant surviving.

Probably a bit harsh in what I said, because I don't think he meant to say what he said to Hauk, he was saying what he thought people knew. However, he still revealed the names of those kids that "raped" that girl in the toilets to the principal.

I understand it was a defensive mechanism to survive in that place, but you can still be tough without being an out-and-out prick.

Oh I definitely noticed that. In fact that's why I didn't like Bunk, or McNulty in season 4. I think people that cheat on their partners are scum bags.

However I thought he started to change with the job; when he started seeing the streets and everything that needed to be done. The night he was elected as Mayor, he turned down his campaign manager. I honestly thought he'd "clicked", as some other characters in the show did (Cutty, Carv, even Bodie to a certain extent before he died).

I suppose I would agree with you. He did appear to change once he was elected because he had a responsibility to the people but I still had my doubts because of the way he sandbagged people to set himself up for his political campaign.

Agree about the point on Carcetti, but people will say the same about Hird, even though (I believe) both genuinely had the best interests of their city/club in mind.

If anything though, I should've known that the show was too cynical to have a mayor come in and change the city. Especially if the real-life Baltimore's like the show portrays it; it'd be unrealistic to have the fictional version all rosey and happy, and the real thing as hopeless as Carlton's premiership aspirations.

I agree with you guys that season 2 sort of changed the shows direction for a bit, but I really enjoyed the focus on the docks/unions. I really liked all the Sabotka characters. Ziggy was a w***er, but such a great character. Frank is just my favourite in the whole series. Agree that Prez is a gun. I also left out Bodie, his death was most sad, he refused to take s**t from anyone. I forgot Omar, legend. A black, homosexual hit man, never again will this happen in television.

Snoop is probably the most evil person to grace the television screen. I just found her mesmerizing in her willingness to kill someone when they needed to be got killed. The buying of the nail gun is still one of my favourite scenes. Chris' beating of Michael's step-dad I thought was the most brutal killing of the whole series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a kick out of seeing Chris and Weebay becoming friends in prison at the end.

Likewise, seeing Avon help out his Westside boi Marlo, after such a heated feud. And I hated both characters.

I always thought that Avon had more of a conscience than Marlo. The scene with Marlo taking back the corner after walking out of a dinner will real estate developers was brilliant. The corner was his life.

I thought the killing of Omar was done wonderfully well. I was genuinely shocked when it happened.
When he heard the door come open and looked away, I kind of knew something was about to happen.

Having said that, I didn't expect he'd go like that.

I thought it would've been right at the end of the series, and during a shootout with Marlo.

Stupidly I was half expecting him to get up and just have a flesh wound; the same was with String. I was devastated with both deaths, and thought "no, that can't be it". But credit to the show for being realistic, unlike most others.

Speaking of Marlo, what did you guys make of his ending? Was he totally abandoning his new way of life with Levy and his associates, or was he just going to sneak out on occasion for a 'fix' of his old ways?

I liked that it showed he actually was a genuine street tough guy, as before then it just looked like he was using Chris and Snoop to get to the top.

But his condition of parole clearly stated that if he went back in to the game, he'd be locked up. As soon as Carv or whoever heard his name (and they would hear it) back on the street, he'd be locked up for life.

When he heard the door come open and looked away, I kind of knew something was about to happen.

Having said that, I didn't expect he'd go like that.

I thought it would've been right at the end of the series, and during a shootout with Marlo.

Stupidly I was half expecting him to get up and just have a flesh wound; the same was with String. I was devastated with both deaths, and thought "no, that can't be it". But credit to the show for being realistic, unlike most others.

Speaking of Marlo, what did you guys make of his ending? Was he totally abandoning his new way of life with Levy and his associates, or was he just going to sneak out on occasion for a 'fix' of his old ways?

I liked that it showed he actually was a genuine street tough guy, as before then it just looked like he was using Chris and Snoop to get to the top.

But his condition of parole clearly stated that if he went back in to the game, he'd be locked up. As soon as Carv or whoever heard his name (and they would hear it) back on the street, he'd be locked up for life.

I think he wanted to prove that he could dominate the streets without Snoop and Chris. When told of what Omar said about him in the prison cell, he was pissed big time. I don't think he cared if he got imprisoned again.

hey guys, hope you don't mind me posting!

Proposition Joe was probably my fav character of the series.

Favorite series runs like this:- 3,5,1,4 and 2.

Also not sure if anyone's picked up on this, but we all know David Simon liked to use the series as sort of a vehicle to show the issues that plague real life urban america. But the biggest story from season 5 was the inability of the newspaper to pickup on the fact that the murders were all fake. That's the biggest swipe he took at his old workplace, the baltimore sun. Due to all the cut backs etc, a newspaper could miss such a monumental story.

I think Marlo wanted to be a legend of the streets. His name had been slurred, saying he wasn't "gangsta" and he took offence to that. He didn't fit in with the white executives, the streets and the corners are him and his life and he wanted to prove that he could still runt hem.

He might have been sent to prison again but I think he cared more about his rep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back