Tim O'Brien's progress...

Remove this Banner Ad

Or is it because the Hawks see his ability and have resigned him despite you not realising it?
No body is questioning his ability. My point is Tim is an introvert and playing with aggression and urgency doesn't come naturally and having long term contracts could be creating too big of a comfort level.

No body is questioning his ability. My point is Tim is an introvert and playing with aggression and urgency doesn't come naturally and having long term contracts could be creating too big of a comfort level.
Rough?

From memory the club extended his contract in his first year and then recently extended it to 2017. I'm questioning if this is contributing to the way he plays. I can't help think we'd see a different Tim O'Brien if he was playing to keep his career alive.
Highly doubt it at such a young age and very harsh on the kid

The only time I've sen him this year (apart from the pre-season AFL matches) was a couple of weeks ago against Casey where he was magnificent, marking everything, kicking goals and generally looking very classy.

Obviously people who have watched more VFL than myself will know his game better but he has got ability, he just seems to lack the consistency

We just need to have some realistic expectations guys - I've been reading these boards and have seen the same pattern for over a decade.

We draft a kid and he has a decent game at VFL level (or hasn't played at all) and we all start putting him in our team of the next decade and discussing him as a future star or the next "insert vaguely similar star player" (Roughead in TOB's case).

Then a year or two passes and we are all asking - what's going on? where is he? etc.

Two things we should always keep in mind.

1. Most kids drafted won't make it. When picked outside the first 10-15 (i.e. all of our picks) even less likely. For those that do make it, most will be role players rather than stars and that is an outcome we should hope for/celebrate. This is true even for Hawthorn who have a good record. It is no suprise that we have done so well off the back or trading speculative picks for players who are known quantities and can play a role. Let's enjoy the journey and HOPE our staff can turn SOME kids into players who can perform a role with us.

2. Most kids, especially KPP's, take time to develop. Whilst they may show signs early, it is highly unusual (and often only once in a generation types) who can dominate at a young age. 21 is very young for a key position player. He may not come good even next year and still turn out to be a good player. If TOB is not demanding selection by 23-24, then it is a concern and we may assume he won't make it. Don't worry about what he is doing at 21. Basically, give kids (especially KPP's) plenty of time - it's a very hard gig playing a key role at the highest level - it's why there are so few KPP's (especially top line ones) and they usually need to develop something a bit different to have a consistent impact (e.g. Roughead's versatility and ground level competence).

Serious question. How many people responding to this thread with thoughts about O'Brien's progress have actually watched him play football regularly?

This year has all been about education.
Those who've actually watched him would have noticed that he's played the roles of deep forward, high forward, key defensive and a loose backman.
These roles have not just been for 5 minutes but at times blocks of two and three games.
Perhaps it's about making him more versatile.
No perhaps we just adopt the stick and rot technique of clubs like Casey and the Northern Bullants.
Feeder clubs to those great AFL juggernauts Melbourne and Carlton.

It's not about dominating at VFL level.
It's about being prepared, with enough tools, to cope with jump to AFL.

This year has all been about education.
Those who've actually watched him would have noticed that he's played the roles of deep forward, high forward, key defensive and a loose backman.
These roles have not just been for 5 minutes but at times blocks of two and three games.
Perhaps it's about making him more versatile.
No perhaps we just adopt the stick and rot technique of clubs like Casey and the Northern Bullants.
Feeder clubs to those great AFL juggernauts Melbourne and Carlton.

It's not about dominating at VFL level.
It's about being prepared, with enough tools, to cope with jump to AFL.
Sounds like they are preparing him for a Gunston like role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like they are preparing him for a Gunston like role.
Smells like the next evolution of Clarko's game plan. A team of high endurance runners on both the inside (Langford, Shiels, Danger?) and outside (Hill, Smith, Hartung) with support from versatile, mobile mid-tall types (Gunston, Roughead, O'Brien, Howe, Sicily)

After having the blessing of Rough and Buddy coming on at such a young age some have forgotten that KPF take time

But he's not really KPF is he?

Seems like he's being groomed as a third tall.

Is 2 years younger than Jack so it's not completely unfair to expect him to start pushing for senior selection even in a strong team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back