Toine's Cafe - All Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with hamster but I'll give it a shot.

I'd go Arenas and Noah. But thats because I don't trust Bynum at all. He's missed 95 games in the last three seasons!

Arenas is sort of an injury risk as well but he's had a looong pre-season to get his body right.

Yeah fair enough.

Its just a standard keep 10 per year (no restrictions), 8 teams.

My lock in keepers are:

Wade
Bryant
Josh Smith
Carmelo
Granger

With these guys basic locks:
Gallinari
Nene
Randolph

Hence choosing between Bynum, Noah and Gilbert as the rest of my roster was pretty junk.

Really Gils weaknesses nearly make him the one to go, but he could also recapture his old form. Bynum also had periods of domination but goes down every year himself with some knee problem. He is also a lot younger. Noah is the safest of the 3, but also possibly with the least potential.

I kind of feel like I am biased being a Wiz fan along with owning these guys for the year so appreciate all the input.

Cheers.

Weird team you got there.
A lot of wing players amongst your potential keepers, a few big guys and only 1 PG.

Noah is a definite keeper - don't get too hung up on the 'lack of potential'. Potential ain't a category in fantasy leagues and Noah is one of the most consistent rebounders & shot-blockers going around.

Arenas v Bynum is obviously a tough one given their injury histories.
Lets look at each cat in regards to your keepers...

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
in.gif

For those of you who don't have ESPN Insider, here's my entire response...
:D

-------------------------

Weird team you got there.
A lot of wing players amongst your potential keepers, a few big guys and only 1 PG.

Noah is a definite keeper - don't get too hung up on the 'lack of potential'. Potential ain't a category in fantasy leagues and Noah is one of the most consistent rebounders & shot-blockers going around.

Arenas v Bynum is obviously a tough one given their injury histories.
Lets look at each cat in regards to your keepers...

FG%: not bad, prob ranks you around mid table in your league.
A lot depends on how Carmelo, Wade & Bryant shoot in any given week.
Nene & Smith's high % more than offset by Granger & Gallinari's tendency to chuck up shots. Randolph has poor fg% for a big man.

FG% is a cat that can easily change during a matchup. Not one I'd be punting given your team.

Big Advantage: Bynum

FT% Looks pretty good despite the presence of Josh Smith. Should be one of your target categories.
You'd think Gil would help you but he shot poorly last season - even worse than Bynum.

Slight Advantage: Arenas

PTS:
This is your money category. Keeping Gil would help lock up the points each week.

Big Advantage: Arenas

3's: Another of your best categories I'm guessing, but with only 2 all-out gunners on the team, a little help wouldn't hurt.

Big Advantage: Arenas

REBS: Pretty good. A cat that would go from dicey to odd-on if you keep Bynum. I think you need to solidify this cat.

ASTS: Big weakness. Unless you're confident of finding decent sources of assists amongst the league's non-keepers, then this looks like a punt category. Prob better of to fill out your roster with non-keeper PG eligble players who will help maximise your other cats like 3's, ft%, stls.

Advantage: irrelevant

STL: You look in good shape here with the presence of frontcourt men who are adept at getting 1+ spg.
Probably don't need much reinforcement here although it never hurts to have too much of a cat if it's a cat you plan to win each week.

Advantage: Arenas

BLK: A 50/50 category where you need to turn the odds in your favour each week.

T/O: A lot of high-usage guys on your team equals a lot of turnovers. Arenas would obviously exacerbate that problem and virtually put you out of the running each week.

Advantage: Arenas.

So out of 9 cats...
Definites: PTS, 3's, STLS
Probables: FT%, BLK
Needs help: FG%, REBS
Forget it: AST, T/O

So to be a weekly contender, you gotta solidify your 'Probables' and turn your 'Needs Help' into at least 'Probables'.

So I'd lean towards Bynum since overall he would help your team in this regard (but he just had knee surgery and may take a while to get going this season), and perhaps target 3-point shooters in the draft.

Alternatively, you could also keep Arenas - understandable given that at his best he produces more impressive numbers, plus it never hurts to have a player from your favourite team on your fantasy team - and look to fill out the roster with non-keepers to help you in the necessary areas.

Your call.

Edit: I just realised I based this on "Randolph" being Anthony Randolph when it could've been Zach. Oh well...

Wow, awesome analysis mate, cheers. You were right with Anthony Randolph, well done.

Yeah I think you have cleared my mind thanks. Also the last thing that is going to make me take Bynum over Arenas is that i believe his percieved value is a lot higher than Gilberts, whereas their actual value is quite similar, so I think I would have a better chance of getting him in the draft or trading for him easier, if you know what I mean.

I always try to look at perceived value vs actual value for these type of decisions and as always in keeper leagues, there is at least a few guys that are frothing for young guys (i.e. Bynum - 23, Arenas - 28ish).

hey guys,

just completed a bit of a team makeover in the Pero Cameron Super League (12 teams, 9-cat, head-to-head, keeper format), and would be interested to hear your thoughts on its success.

obviously, to help you decide, here's the before and after...

2009-10 Team

PG: George Hill
SG: Richard Hamilton
G: Joe Johnson
SF: Caron Butler
PF: Carlos Boozer
F: Elton Brand
C: Samuel Dalembert
C: Emeka Okafor
Util: Rasual Butler
Util: Kendrick Perkins
Bench: Arron Afflalo
Bench: Drew Gooden
Bench: Tracy McGrady

as you can see, pretty unspectacular.

didn't finish that far out of the playoffs (8th of 12), but that was more to do with fitness/luck than actual quality. players like Johnson and Boozer will always be solid contributors but, on the whole, this team had very little upside. no emerging superstars, and a core that was mostly on the wrong side of 30.

obviously, a complete makeover was in order.

so, this is what we did...

firstly, traded like it's going out of fashion:

Lost: Rasual Butler + Pick 64
Gained: Raymond Felton + Pick 92.

Lost: Kendrick Perkins + Pick 52 + Pick 76
Gained: Jeff Green + Pick 67 + Pick 93

Lost: Drew Gooden + Pick 92
Gained: Jrue Holiday + Pick 125.

Lost: Raymond Felton + Pick 112
Gained: Brandon Jennings + Pick 96.

then, made the following 'keeper' selections:

- Raymond Felton (4th round pick - later packaged for Brandon Jennings)
- Sam Dalembert (6th round)
- Jeff Green (9th round)
- Jrue Holiday (12th round)
- George Hill (13th round)

and when the time finally came, drafted the following players:

Stephen Jackson (first round), Kevin Martin (R2), Trevor Ariza (R3), Mike Miller (R8), Mike Conley Jr (R8), Elton Brand (R8), Josh Childress (R11), Brendan Haywood (R11).

after all that, I can finally unveil the 'after' shot:

2010-11 Team

PG: Brandon Jennings
SG: Kevin Martin
G: Trevor Ariza
SF: Stephen Jackson
PF: Jeff Green
F: Elton Brand
C: Samuel Dalembert
C: Brendan Haywood
Util: Mike Conley Jr
Util: George Hill
Bench: Mike Miller
Bench: Josh Childress
Bench: Jrue Holiday

as you can see, a couple a nice stat-stuffers (Jackson, Martin), some solid vets (Brand, Miller, Haywood), a couple of forwards with upside (Green, Ariza), and lots of nice, sexy young point guards (Jennings, Holiday, Hill, Conley).

not a bad return, I think. and since I'm bored, here's a nice cat-by-cat breakdown of how I want it to perform:

FG%: Strong. Brand/Dalembert/Haywood will be the foundation, while Miller (.502 last year)and Childress (.571 in 2008) will add a very nice boost from the SF position. If Jrue Holiday, Mike Conley and George Hill can maintain their post-All Star FG% from last season, they'll also add a boost. Brandon Jennings and Stephen Jackson are always a worry, though. Grading: B
FT%: Very strong. Kevin Martin can be counted upon for both volume and accuracy, while Jackson/Childress/Jennings can all get to the line and convert. The Center position often detracts from this stat, but I specifically drafted Brand and Dalembert for their FT accuracy, so this shouldn't be a worry. Eleven of thirteen players shoot .729 or better. Grading: A+
3PTM: Massive strength. Players like Ariza, Jennings, Miller, Jackson and Martin will shine; while Hill, Holiday, Green and Conley can all be relied upon for at least 1 per game. Grading: A+
Pts: Fair-to-good. Don't have a stud like LeBron/Wade/Durant/Kobe etc, but would be surprised if every player on my team didn't average double-digit ppg. Jackson, Martin and Brand will all see their usage go up; but Ariza and Jennings will likely see theirs go down. If Jennings can offset his lower usage with more efficiency, it might be enough to put me over. Grading: B
Reb: Weak. Lack of PFs and Cs is gonna hurt here. Haywood, Dalembert, Brand and Green will contribute, but the sheer lack of volume is gonna hurt most weeks. Won't be the absolute worst, but won't be far off. Grading: C-
Ast: Strong. May struggle against teams with a stud PG (Nash, Paul, Kidd, Williams), but the sheer volume cannot be ignored here. Jennings, Conley and Holiday will all hold the reins of their respective teams, while Stephen Jackson will likely also do most of the ball-handling in Charlotte. Don't expect Ariza (3.8) and Miller (3.9) to match their 2009 averages, but should still get contributions nonetheless. Hill and Martin should also provide value. Grading: B+
Stl: Massive strength. Traditionally the hardest category to draft for. Jackson, Ariza and Jennings will all be the studs here, though. Hill, Conley, Holiday, Martin, Childress, Brand and Green can also be relied upon for at least 1 per game. Grading: A+
Blk: Blocks is a category? Whoops. Grading: D.
TOs: Fair. Jackson figures to be a turnover fiend with his increased usage, and Holiday's AST:TO isn't great, either. That said, the lack of a Wade/LeBron/Durant/Howard is also going to play to my advantage in this category. Won't be the best with all those PGs on the list, but will probably win this cat most weeks. Grading: B

anyway, now comes the tricky question. do I:

a) sit on this team and hope it's good enough, or;
b) trade away some of my excess 3pt/steals/assists (i.e. one of my young PGs) and make my team relevant in Rebs/Blks?

all comments welcome :)

I guess it will depend on how much the player you trade for brings to your team in regards to what you lose in giving away.

If losing one player from your strengths then means that strength has now come back to the field it might not be worth losing that advantage.

But if adding a player can take you from just off the pace to a more level playing field with teams who arent super strong in a cat like REBS/BLKS then it's probably worth it.

I tried my hand in a yahoo public league (I know they're notoriously easy), but I'd be interested in some feedback nonetheless. I had a particulr strategy in mind:-

6. D.Nowitzki
15. D.Lee
26. C.Anthony
35. A.Bargnani
46. D.Gallinari
55. J.Richardson
66. A.Randolph
75. J.Terry
86. E.Brand
95. A.Morrow
106. J.McGee
115. N.Batum
126. J.Hickson

Thanks!!

I tried my hand in a yahoo public league (I know they're notoriously easy), but I'd be interested in some feedback nonetheless. I had a particulr strategy in mind:-
quote]

I've given up on public leagues. While it is easy to get into the top 3 the only way to compete in H2H is to 'stream' - drop and pickup players daily in order to have a full roster every day. I hate this, as it is completely against how I think the game should be played. Roto is better as there is a max games played but only a few of the managers play to the end of the season, if at all. Good luck - but you are better off finding a private league.
btw Nice looking team.

Well my live Yahoo! draft starts at midnight!

I have pick 2 so I think I'll take Chris Paul.

We have PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C as our positions so the C's always get picked higher then normal.

I need to take a C with my 2nd pick but not sure who I'll get.

Any suggestions??

Good choice with CP3.

Roto or H2H? What type of strategy are you gonna use?
Depending on those answers, determines whether you take a big or a small.

Edit:

Just saw it was last night. How'd the draft go?

What you think of my team - 10 team, h2h, 9 cats - must have one rookie:

PG: S.Curry
SG: J.Johnson
G: J.Kidd
SF: A.Iguodala
PF: D.Gallinari
F: A.Kirilenko
C: R.Hibbert
C: A.Biedrins
Util: C.Billups
Util: K.Garnett

Bench:
E.Okafor
N.Batum
Jordan Crawford

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bench:
E.Okafor
N.Batum
Jordan Crawford
Stupidly good even for a 10 team league. Batum won't stay on your bench either. Don't know anything really about Crawford.

Bench:
E.Okafor
N.Batum
Jordan Crawford
Looks like you are playing small ball. You will be strong in assists, steals, 3's. I'd say that your team will be pretty hard to beat in those area's. :thumbsu:

Other teams will have better frontlines in a 10 team league I'd say so maybe you'd struggle in boards, fg% and blocks.

If Hibbert breaks out and Biedrins bounces back it might reduce this but your best talent is in the pg,sg,sf positions. Is Gallinari eligible for the PF slot?

Bench:
E.Okafor
N.Batum
L.Fields

I've got an offer of Love for Joe Johnson. What do you think??

have the following team:

Brandon Jennings
Jrue Holiday
Mike Conley Jr
Jose Calderon
Kevin Martin
Arron Afflalo
Stephen Jackson
Trevor Ariza
Jeff Green
Shelden Williams
Anthony Tolliver
Elton Brand
Serge Ibaka
Mike Miller (injury list)

targeting the following categories:

FT%, 3PTM, Pts, Ast, Stl, TOs

and I just got offered Blake Griffin in a straight swap for Kevin Martin.

rejected it.

thoughts?

Bench:
E.Okafor
N.Batum
Jordan Crawford

I've just got an offer of Odom and Camby for Billups and Okafor.

I think this could really help my FG% and rbs, whilst I don't lose too many ast or 3s.

What you think? Need some quick advice.

Thanks!

have the following team:

Brandon Jennings
Jrue Holiday
Mike Conley Jr
Jose Calderon
Kevin Martin
Arron Afflalo
Stephen Jackson
Trevor Ariza
Jeff Green
Shelden Williams
Anthony Tolliver
Elton Brand
Serge Ibaka
Mike Miller (injury list)

targeting the following categories:

FT%, 3PTM, Pts, Ast, Stl, TOs

and I just got offered Blake Griffin in a straight swap for Kevin Martin.

rejected it.

thoughts?
Martin will go down injured. No if, buts or maybe's imo.

But Griffin will work against FT%, 3PTM, Ast, Stl, and maybe TOs. He doesn't really fit your team but Griffin ias the guy that I'd take in H2H if you can make it work in your team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back