Status
Not open for further replies.

bbolt1

Senior List
Jul 17, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So as of today Tom Boyd want to come back to melbourne. As he was a carlton supporter as a kid and wanted to be drafted by us do you think end of next season we throw everything at gws to get him

The problem is, he's already shown his hand. After just one season, and yet to really make his mark, he already thinks he should be earning more than Buddy Franklin. Announcing that he's walking to another club - with a year to go on his current contract. Not a good look - makes him look like a prima donna.

Would he fit in with the kind of culture we're trying to build here?

The problem is, he's already shown his hand. After just one season, and yet to really make his mark, he already thinks he should be earning more than Buddy Franklin. Announcing that he's walking to another club - with a year to go on his current contract. Not a good look - makes him look like a prima donna.

Disagree. Hes young and impressionable. His manager would have been rubbing his hands together at the prospect of earning 10% or whatever he gets of Boyd contract should he go to the Dogs and a year earlier than what would have happened when he came out of contract. Someone tells you they are going to up your pay from $80,000 a year or whatever 1st year draftees get paid to $1,000,000 and you are 18 years old, what would you do?

Disagree also. He doesn't think he deserves more than buddy. He was offered more than buddy and I don't know anyone who would be able to turn that sort of offer down. He's been offered a 1200% or so pay rise to move home, would be crazy not to at least try.

Oh I have little doubt that it's his manager who is shopping him around in just his second year, and sure it would be hard to knock back the money when it's being offered.
But his value has already been driven through the roof, and the perception is now that he's a bloke who's ready to walk out in the middle of his contract if someone has offered him a bigger wad.
In creating this perception, Pickering has done him a disservice.

I'll grant that the chance to come home would also be a factor, but you have to feel for the clubs that draft these guys - why even bother drafting a player from interstate if they're just going to run away home at the first opportunity?

I'd still like to have him at the club, but not at the current asking price, for a player with all of nine games and eight goals to his name.
Tom has lost much of his gloss as far as I'm concerned.

Oh I have little doubt that it's his manager who is shopping him around in just his second year, and sure it would be hard to knock back the money when it's being offered.
But his value has already been driven through the roof, and the perception is now that he's a bloke who's ready to walk out in the middle of his contract if someone has offered him a bigger wad.
In creating this perception, Pickering has done him a disservice.

I'll grant that the chance to come home would also be a factor, but you have to feel for the clubs that draft these guys - why even bother drafting a player from interstate if they're just going to run away home at the first opportunity?

I'd still like to have him at the club, but not at the current asking price, for a player with all of nine games and eight goals to his name.
Tom has lost much of his gloss as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately this is the way AFL football is going these days. Contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on! Lets just hope we can keep our budding superstars happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So as of today Tom Boyd want to come back to melbourne. As he was a carlton supporter as a kid and wanted to be drafted by us do you think end of next season we throw everything at gws to get him
Sorry mate, not familiar with this bloke. Can you give me the backstory?

Is he friends with Tom Scully?

He will be wearing a Bulldog's jumper tomorrow…..doesn't matter now.
I'm also thinking $1M a year is bull$hit….try half that with incentives.
The one thing that gets me is that he wants to walk from GWS and if Carlton were behind the scenes this year promising to offer him a contract for 2016 and beyond, he would not have shown his hand now. Too much pressure on Boyd now….hope he can manage it.

Firstly doubt he'll go to the Bulldogs this trade period. The AFL will flatly refuse GWS in trading him as the precedent this trade period has already set with players in contract for next season demanding to be traded (Griffen, Beams, Christensen, etc), and since the AFL owns GWS this is something they can control... Albeit hypocritically whilst still allowing GWS to get Griffen.

If the Bulldogs do succeed in acquiring him this or next season at 7figures then they should not go running for handouts or love from the AFL as to spend 10% of your cap on a kid is just beyond comprehension and poor management. Sure get him over for a bit more than what he's worth at this stage in his career and maybe negotiate certain rises in his following years if he meets certain targets (eg plays all 22 rounds, kicks 80goals etc).

Personally I like the team harmony model where each player is content what each of their colleagues are getting so you don't get players noses out of joint for not being paid the same.

He will be wearing a Bulldog's jumper tomorrow…..doesn't matter now.
I'm also thinking $1M a year is bull$hit….try half that with incentives.
The one thing that gets me is that he wants to walk from GWS and if Carlton were behind the scenes this year promising to offer him a contract for 2016 and beyond, he would not have shown his hand now. Too much pressure on Boyd now….hope he can manage it.

Dont think so

GWS could get a better deal for him next year

He would make a great addition to the team, no question, but the Bulldogs offer has inflated his value to the point where no other team in Victoria can match it.

The deals being touted have been anything from a straight swap with Griffen, to the Dogs giving Griffen and Pick 6, to the GWS giving the Doggies 4&7 for Griffen. The last permutation actually depends on our deal with Jaksch going through and them receiving pick 7.

Anyway, all of those deals give you an idea as to the value placed on Boyd. Some people can imagine the Bulldogs giving up Pick 6 and Griffen, meaning his price to us would be basically Gibbs/Murphy & Pick 7. It's far too much to pay for a young unproven player.

I think the current shift in Carltons recruiting policy should remain. Thomas was a big get in but was all because of MM. Otherwise we've been clever and gotten Docherty and Everritt cheaply, will get Jones & Tutt very cheaply most likely and then will grab Jaksch and Whiley. That's a much healthier looking list balance, age and talent wise than it was 24 months ago. Boyd would make a huge addition to that but his value is WAY too high right now.

The most ideal situation we could hope for is that he stays in GWS next year, plays out 2015 and then moves to us for practically nothing.

I want him. But I don't like what we'd have to trade and pay him.

Precisely, although I don't believe the trade would be the expensive part. At least not directly.

The distraction of what would be very tense negotiations, (and let's face it they would start much earlier than trade week), would impact on our capacity to secure FAs, and the list of FAs is pretty darn good next year. It would complicate our F/S bidding also.

His ongoing contract could cost us a quality player or two as they will be tempted by offers from other clubs.

So at the cost of 1-4 decent and or high quality players straight away, together with the possibility of losing best 22 types later as well....

Nope, 'fraid not.

Although if we had a player like Yarran, (just an example), demand a trade to GWS that would change things somewhat. I'd probably ask for Treloar instead though.

We are making some huge assumptions based on his manager and WB tweets.
Has Tom come out himself and said that he wants to go to WB and how much he will get.

Don't burn any bridges here.
If he enters negotiations next year to return to Vic then lets not be a tipping point.
Footballers can and do read forums.

I hope that our List management team don't do anything stupid to get him.

At some stage we need to be bold and acquire ourselves some primo KPP talent. You would think we can and should draft some when we have a top 5-10 pick, or even get creative and try to turn a #7 into a #2 to get a big boy like Wright or McCartin.

But it doesn't HAVE to be Boyd, and the club shouldn't let itself get into a wild open bidding war for someone like him.

We should aim to make smart "value" moves each season, but not rule out doing some bold that changes the club's fortunes for a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back