Toast Tom Hawkins - a magnificent 350 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats to reflect Tom's 351st game. Also, he was goalless tonight against the Western Bulldogs, it was the 51st time he was goalless in his career. More often than not, his output for goals is consistent. The last time he was goalless was R19, 2023 (vs Brisbane).

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240406_200843_Sheets.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240406_200843_Sheets.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 21
Stats to reflect Tom's 351st game. Also, he was goalless tonight against the Western Bulldogs, it was the 51st time he was goalless in his career. More often than not, his output for goals is consistent. The last time he was goalless was R19, 2023 (vs Brisbane).
Yeah, nice one.

Every stat from here builds his lead on Jack.

Carboot, your man Jack is in the rear-view mirror of big Tommy from this point onwards.

Absolutely. It helps when you play more games though, doesn't it. Surely you realise that?

Take nothing away from Tom though. Very good player.
Being better for longer, yes it does help.

Nights like tonight stand out because there are so few of them. We had many, many ineffectual games like this from Riewoldt last season.

Being better for longer, yes it does help.

Nights like tonight stand out because there are so few of them. We had many, many ineffectual games like this from Riewoldt last season.

Better for longer, meanwhile the other "Big 3" KPF of the past 15-16 years have all retired. When they were around they were winning multiple Coleman medals. Tom (as good as he is) only has the one Coleman to his name.....so far. That fact simply can't be ignored.

Longevity is not the be all and end all. Bradman only played 52 Test matches yet look at his average. This goes back to what I said before.....Franklin number 1 KPF of the past 15-16 years, then it's a deadheat between Hawkins, Reiwoldt and Kennedy. Neither is better than the other and IF.........IF there is a margin between the three, then it's by a nose.

Better for longer, meanwhile the other "Big 3" KPF of the past 15-16 years have all retired. When they were around they were winning multiple Coleman medals. Tom (as good as he is) only has the one Coleman to his name.....so far. That fact simply can't be ignored.

Longevity is not the be all and end all. Bradman only played 52 Test matches yet look at his average. This goes back to what I said before.....Franklin number 1 KPF of the past 15-16 years, then it's a deadheat between Hawkins, Reiwoldt and Kennedy. Neither is better than the other and IF.........IF there is a margin between the three, then it's by a nose.
There's no big 3, Hawkins motored past your boy Riewoldt and Kennedy.

Hawkins has been AFL quality for longer than the others. His standing as a modern full forward would be slightly diminished if he retired 2 years ago instead, or another couple of years before that - and Riewoldt was instead still a good contributor.

He's been a 7.3 score involvement a game key forward for 18 years. Riewoldt was a 6.5 score involvement a game key forward for 17 years. So basically a score involvement extra per game for their side-by-side careers, and now Hawkins is in bonus round territory with another 6 a game.

Hawkins has been AFL quality for longer than the others. His standing as a modern full forward would be slightly diminished if he retired 2 years ago instead, or another couple of years before that - and Riewoldt was instead still a good contributor.

He's been a 7.3 score involvement a game key forward for 18 years. Riewoldt was a 6.5 score involvement a game key forward for 17 years. So basically a score involvement extra per game for their side-by-side careers, and now Hawkins is in bonus round territory with another 6 a game.

Not denying that Hawkins isn't good. He is very good. I just think (in my opinion) there isn't much between Hawkins, Riewoldt and Kennedy who all sit equal 2nd behind Franklin for the past 15-16 years.

Not denying that Hawkins isn't good. He is very good. I just think (in my opinion) there isn't much between Hawkins, Riewoldt and Kennedy who all sit equal 2nd behind Franklin for the past 15-16 years.
Yes you've repeated 100 times that there is NOTHING between those three players. I will happily continue to point out what separates them. And having an extra estimated 300 plus score involvements over your career is quite a point of difference, I would've thought.

If this was a marathon it was a dead heat until the last lap or two, and then Hawkins has pulled away.

You can protest but that's just the way it is.

Absolutely. It helps when you play more games though, doesn't it. Surely you realise that?

Take nothing away from Tom though. Very good player.

Hawkins has had the likes of Mooney, Podsiadly and Cameron playing alongside him over the journey though. Riewoldt had basically no-one for a decade before Tom Lynch joined Richmond in 2019.

Yes you've repeated 100 times that there is NOTHING between those three players. I will happily continue to point out what separates them. And having an extra estimated 300 plus score involvements over your career is quite a point of difference, I would've thought.

If this was a marathon it was a dead heat until the last lap or two, and then Hawkins has pulled away.

You can protest but that's just the way it is.

Let the Stewards decide mate if it's a deadheat lol. Might be a protest or two lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins has had the likes of Mooney, Podsiadly and Cameron playing alongside him over the journey though. Riewoldt had basically no-one for a decade before Tom Lynch joined Richmond in 2019.

Good point. But I reckon it sort of evens itself out by Riewoldt not playing in a consistent finals bound team throughout his career. Same applies to Josh Kennedy.

I have to admit, I know we've called this before and been proven wrong... but Hawk has had a number of these games in the last 18 months where he has had very little football, and very little influence.

He still has bursts where he manages to really beat an opponent, and he absolutely justifies selection, but I think the next eight weeks or so will be really telling as to where he's at now.

Good point. But I reckon it sort of evens itself out by Riewoldt not playing in a consistent finals bound team throughout his career. Same applies to Josh Kennedy.
Kennedy gets short shrift in these kind of conversations courtesy of where he played his footy, but I think it's pretty clearly Franklin and Hawkins from that particular generation, then Riewoldt and Kennedy.

I have to admit, I know we've called this before and been proven wrong... but Hawk has had a number of these games in the last 18 months where he has had very little football, and very little influence.

He still has bursts where he manages to really beat an opponent, and he absolutely justifies selection, but I think the next eight weeks or so will be really telling as to where he's at now.

Tommy should be fine.

Kennedy gets short shrift in these kind of conversations courtesy of where he played his footy, but I think it's pretty clearly Franklin and Hawkins from that particular generation, then Riewoldt and Kennedy.

Nah, Franklin #1....then Hawkins, Riewoldt and Kennedy equal #2....isn't much between then.

Nah, Franklin #1....then Hawkins, Riewoldt and Kennedy equal #2....isn't much between then.
Nah

Riewoldt & Kennedy are a couple of rungs below Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back