Universal Love Joel Selwood - 350 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Question posed by krock - agree or disagree with their answer?

I’d say Polly Farmer.
Love Selwood though in terms of what he’s done for the Cats he’s one of the best but in terms of talented amazing players I’d have to give Polly the nod.

Scarlett would have to be up there. It's hard to see how that great team could have came to be without the amazing skill set he brought back there. Enright as well. Both there from the gloomy looking days through to the 3 flags, with 6 AAs each.

And Hocking, 4-time b&f winner, and AFL Hall of Fame
Absolutely. My favourite player through the second half of the 90s when I was a kid immersing myself in the great sport (afraid to say I've only seen highlights and a bunch of matches on fox footy for his years during flag contention). Courage and skill personified. Travesty he never got a flag.

I’d say Polly Farmer.
Love Selwood though in terms of what he’s done for the Cats he’s one of the best but in terms of talented amazing players I’d have to give Polly the nod.
No doubt an all time great of the club, Farmer isn't AFL era though

When talking about AFL era, they're meaning when the VFL changed its name & became the AFL in 1990

In terms of "best" player, he's inside my top 10 but not top 5 (GAS and Jnr, Scarlo, SJ, Enright, probably Bartel, Hawkins, few others perhaps), but he's my Greatest ever Cat due to what he's brought to the club, his leadership, his willingness to put risk his body for the cause and his will to never give up a contest.
From an impact point of view, yeah he's the Greatest.
Was talking to a mate yesterday how amazing it is that Hawkins, who could barely run at times during 2013 and most thought his career was cut short, would, but a few years ago, be lining up for the games record in a few weeks aswell.
With him going around next year there's a chance we see 2 350 gamers playing in the same team who have played almost all of those together. We've spoken about great teams or groups, but for longevity and impact I'd be hard pressed to go passed these 2 as the best duo we've ever seen.

In terms of "best" player, he's inside my top 10 but not top 5 (GAS and Jnr, Scarlo, SJ, Enright, probably Bartel, Hawkins, few others perhaps), but he's my Greatest ever Cat due to what he's brought to the club, his leadership, his willingness to put risk his body for the cause and his will to never give up a contest.
From an impact point of view, yeah he's the Greatest.
Was talking to a mate yesterday how amazing it is that Hawkins, who could barely run at times during 2013 and most thought his career was cut short, would, but a few years ago, be lining up for the games record in a few weeks aswell.
With him going around next year there's a chance we see 2 350 gamers playing in the same team who have played almost all of those together. We've spoken about great teams or groups, but for longevity and impact I'd be hard pressed to go passed these 2 as the best duo we've ever seen.
Could you imagine having absolute peak Selwood and Hawkins from 2007 through 2011? We probably get the 2008 and 2010 flags too. Even plugging current day Hawkins into the 08 GF...

They were good during our flag era, especially Selwood, but they reached greatest heights when the mids and forwards around them respectively were a class below.

A great milestone for our warrior captain. I would have to say he's the best player we've ever had at the cats. If you look at his overall career at Geelong and the impact he has had since 2007 as a leader and player, and not just at individual talent alone, he is clearly the best player we've ever had. Walk up Hall of Fame, and should be made a legend at some point.

Last edited:
It is absolutely crazy that neither Selwood or Pendlebury have Brownlows.

Tom Mitchell, Neale, Wines, Cotchin (Watson) and Priddis all won Brownlows during their careers. All very good players but not legends.
Ollie Wines has a Brownlow and Joel does not, the world is not right!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have vision of the 2006 Draft ?

Would just like to see selections 5,6 and of course 7

I don't, but I can tell you a little story about my Hawks uncle who decided to call me shortly after our selection to tell me they picked up a 300 game Champion who will dominate the AFL for 12 years while we picked an injury prone spud who only got a shot due to his brothers...

Yeah.. I like to remind him sometimes.

Thought I’d share. A friend of mine makes these all the time. The official Geelong Facebook page have shared it as well.

Attachments

• 7647836B-DE7B-4117-8C26-D1DB5BC3E6A4.jpeg
    7647836B-DE7B-4117-8C26-D1DB5BC3E6A4.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 37

There's something about the candid nature of this photo that I can't help but smile at - you can see the respect that Joel has(had) for Frank

1659058563715.jpeg
Frank Costa and Joel Selwood are seen during the 2015 Geelong Cats team photo day at Simonds Stadium, Geelong on February 17, 2015. (Justine Walker/AFL Media)

Thought I’d share. A friend of mine makes these all the time. The official Geelong Facebook page have shared it as well.
It's an awesome image

Thank your friend for making it and sharing it for all to see

Has anyone had his success.. and still maintained the hunger for as long as he has. The line in the U2 song seems appropriate ...still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Some so easily satisfied, Joel perpetually hungry... and Joel still attacks the ball with all he has.

350 games and what the odd he comes off with blood coming from his head...

Champion. Our Champion

Last edited:
Im just glad he plays for us because id be pissed off having to play him twice a year.

Relentless.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back