Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope it’s better that Tom Harley’s book. It was bad IMO

I've never read a good footy book.

Not saying there isn't any - but I've never read one. I'm not sure what a compelling footy book would look like. I didnt mind Moneyball and I loved Mystery Spinner - that's as far as me and sports books go I reckon.

Not saying there isn't any - but I've never read one. I'm not sure what a compelling footy book would look like. I didnt mind Moneyball and I loved Mystery Spinner - that's as far as me and sports books go I reckon.
Check out "Comeback: The Fall and Rise of Geelong" by James Button, son of former No. 1 ticket holder (I think), politician John Button.

None of them are exactly going to be in line for Pullitzers...

Best ever Geelong footy book is still Loose Men Everywhere.
Brilliant read, would have to have read it a handful of times.

Relate to John's story so much being a Vic living in NSW, he captures the beauty and imagination of our game perfectly.

Last edited:
Brilliant read, would have to have read it a handful of times.

Relate to John's story so much being a Vic leaving in NSW, he captures the beauty and imagination of our game perfectly.
Queensland actually! Have been to Oakey a couple of times, it’s about half an hour past Toowoomba, about three to four hours (now) inland from Brisbane.

A third of the way through, either he was moving through the years oblivious of what was going on around him or he is being very light on a the details.

Main take away was his minimal relationship with Thompson. His summary of Thompson's man management sounds abusive.

Yes I agree. I'm about two thirds through. I would've liked to have seen more of his insights into how things went down in the rooms after those finals losses, what they did in the pre seasons afterwards etc. There is some of that but it's just skimming over basically. And half of it is basically just summarising games. Like being "Tommy kicked a goal after half time to put us a goal up and then once patty kicked one from outside 50 we were back on a roll." Like yeah we all watched the game Joel.

Yes I agree. I'm about two thirds through. I would've liked to have seen more of his insights into how things went down in the rooms after those finals losses, what they did in the pre seasons afterwards etc. There is some of that but it's just skimming over basically. And half of it is basically just summarising games. Like being "Tommy kicked a goal after half time to put us a goal up and then once patty kicked one from outside 50 we were back on a roll." Like yeah we all watched the game Joel.

Just picked this up but sounds like i wont finish it.

Not saying there isn't any - but I've never read one
. I'm not sure what a compelling footy book would look like. I didnt mind Moneyball and I loved Mystery Spinner - that's as far as me and sports books go I reckon.

Totally agree. I've tried a few and they've all been garbage.

Strange thing is, plenty of other sports have some absolute rippers. Boxing especially, but some very good MMA/grappling and cricket ones too. Footy ones just suck, pretty much universally. Dumbed down to the IQ of your average footy commentator. And you can't get lower than that.

Totally agree. I've tried a few and they've all been garbage.

Strange thing is, plenty of other sports have some absolute rippers. Boxing especially, but some very good MMA/grappling and cricket ones too. Footy ones just suck, pretty much universally. Dumbed down to the IQ of your average footy commentator. And you can't get lower than that.
Eddie Betts was a good read. But that was more for his experiences rather than the footy discussions exactly.

Queensland actually! Have been to Oakey a couple of times, it’s about half an hour past Toowoomba, about three to four hours (now) inland from Brisbane.
Nah I get you!

Was more saying that I'm a Vic living in NSW, and can relate to John's experience being a Vic living in QLD. It's like being in a different country at times.

Love his insight on how the suburban fields change from footy posts to rugby posts as you travel further and further upstate. Great read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've bought the book but haven't started it. But I'm not surprised to hear it's a bit bland. Par for the course with footy autobiographies. Most players are not exactly English majors. And they never really divulge the juicy stuff of what really goes on behind closed doors.

That was a footy book? Wasn’t sure from the title
A throw back to the era when VFL footballers played on their opponent for 100 minutes and if you failed to do that you were labelled ‘loose’

My top 5:

1. 28 by Brandon Jack - not your typical footy story, a bit dark really, but great read

2. Tom Wills by Greg de Moore (Partridge might like that one - very historical obviously)

3. The Boys Club by Michael Warner - really helps you understand why the AFL is as dysfunctional as it is

4. Comeback by James Button

5. Footballistics by James Coventry

HM to Loose Men Everywhere by John Harms which I loved but I know is a bit folksy for many

A throw back to the era when VFL footballers played on their opponent for 100 minutes and if you failed to do that you were labelled ‘loose’
Loose men everywhere is the 1990s equivalent of “and they’re out”.

Difference being that at the time it was a symptom of a team being exhausted rather than a great kick or a team being tactically beaten like it can be today.

My top 5:

1. 28 by Brandon Jack - not your typical footy story, a bit dark really, but great read

2. Tom Wills by Greg de Moore (Partridge might like that one - very historical obviously)

3. The Boys Club by Michael Warner - really helps you understand why the AFL is as dysfunctional as it is

HM to Loose Men Everywhere by John Harms which I loved but I know is a bit folksy for many
The Wills book is simply excellent. What a tragi-comic life he lived. And what an amazing influence he exerted over the eventual sporting landscape of this country.

My top 5:

Yeah I reckon I'd enjoy numbers 2 and 3 in particular. Number 3 is significant by how much it's been studiously ignored - which tells you plenty right there.

Joel has just been announced as one of three to host Channel 7's new football show. James Brayshaw to host and Joel and Cotchin to be his panellists

Joel has just been announced as one of three to host Channel 7's new football show. James Brayshaw to host and Joel and Cotchin to be his panellists
When is this show suppose to start? Next season I assume? Most of Ch7's efforts with footy shows have been woeful, so I don't hold up much hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back