Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

My only regret and frustration is that he didn’t win that brownlow that Ablett won…imo he rightly deserved to tie with Ablett
Yeah. GAJ thought the same. But not winning a Brownlow epitomised Joel’s “team first” approach to the game

My only regret and frustration is that he didn’t win that brownlow that Ablett won…imo he rightly deserved to tie with Ablett
In the end, though, he's Joel Selwood.

Four-time premiership player
Premiership captain
Longest-serving captain in the history of the game
Most wins as captain in the history of the game
Most finals ever played in the history of the game
Games record holder at his club
Three-time Carji winner
Six-time AA team member
Three-time AA team captain
Four-time AFL 'Most Courageous'

After all that, joining a 'club' that includes the likes of Ollie Wines, Matt Priddis, Adam Cooney and Shane Woewodin (just to name a few winners since the year 2000) hardly seems like a great honour to me.

So I'm pretty sure 'the one that got away' is not keeping the skipper up at night at this stage.

In the end, though, he's Joel Selwood.

Four-time premiership player
Premiership captain
Longest-serving captain in the history of the game
Most wins as captain in the history of the game
Most finals ever played in the history of the game
Games record holder at his club
Three-time Carji winner
Six-time AA team member
Three-time AA team captain
Four-time AFL 'Most Courageous'

After all that, joining a 'club' that includes the likes of Ollie Wines, Matt Priddis, Adam Cooney and Shane Woewodin (just to name a few winners since the year 2000) hardly seems like a great honour to me.

So I'm pretty sure 'the one that got away' is not keeping the skipper up at night at this stage.

As I've heard from fellow drunks over the years, "Brownlow? That's an umpies award!" Yes, they meant it as a negative. As a matter of fact some drunkards reccommend it be known as the 'browneye' medal.

Adding to the above list though, is the fact Joel Selwood is still the only player in AFL history to have won a Rising Star Award for best debut season and a Premiership that same year.

Another fact that's only come to light (for me) since watching the K Rock call of the Prelim vs Brisbane - when you divide his total games played (355) by finals played (40) you get the number 8.875.

Round it up to 9 and it means that every ninth game for Joel, on average, was a final!!!

Think it was Kingy who came up with that fact. Onya Kingy!

I may have said it before but it bears repeating -

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

Joel speaking to all the AFL new recruits. A bit of praise on the work ethic of Olly Dempsey...and a bit of a back hander to SDK on the way through. :)

Excuse my ignorance, but who was the ex Blue, Dylan somebody? Good interviewer. Those kids would have loved what Joel just delivered.

edit- looked it up- Dylan Buckley

Last edited:
Sometimes these types of talks fall flat cause what the speaker has gone through is just so non-transferable to the people they're trying to provide guidance.

Drafted missing is U18 year from injury at pick 7, perceived as so strong of a prospect that despite his injury history and lack of gametime he was never in doubt of being drafted. Missed few games from injury throughout his career. Older brothers in the league to provide guidance, a supporting family etc. In a strong performing club his entire career. 4 premierships, 6 Grand finals, 12 Prelims, missed finals once. Played what two games a VFL level, even his failures were success by most people's standard.

I imagine Sam Menegola situations would be more illuminating, how do you cope when you spend long time injured, when you get delisted, when you miss out being in the main success. Someone like Byrnes who had to make the most of what he had to stay in the game.

Excuse my ignorance, but who was the ex Blue, Dylan somebody? Good interviewer. Those kids would have loved what Joel just delivered.

edit- looked it up- Dylan Buckley
Very funny (and quirky) lad Dylan Buckley. Some of his stuff with Daniel Gorringe was right out here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes these types of talks fall flat cause what the speaker has gone through is just so non-transferable to the people they're trying to provide guidance.

Drafted missing is U18 year from injury at pick 7, perceived as so strong of a prospect that despite his injury history and lack of gametime he was never in doubt of being drafted. Missed few games from injury throughout his career. Older brothers in the league to provide guidance, a supporting family etc. In a strong performing club his entire career. 4 premierships, 6 Grand finals, 12 Prelims, missed finals once. Played what two games a VFL level, even his failures were success by most people's standard.

I imagine Sam Menegola situations would be more illuminating, how do you cope when you spend long time injured, when you get delisted, when you miss out being in the main success. Someone like Byrnes who had to make the most of what he had to stay in the game.
Maybe that vid is in the Sam Menegola thread.

Thanks for that - that is a great read

That picture of the Storms 1st premiership in 99 with Chris Anderson as coach - that brings back very fond memories especially if you dont like Anthony " Motor Mouth Mundine "

St George were in total control in the 2nd half - one more try and the Storm were gonzo - Mundine from memory had the ball virtually on the try line - but he fumbled it and dropped it - blew it big time - he just had to simply put the ball over the try line - but he mucked it up . St George then pannicked and soon after a Penalty try ( that happens about once in 100 years in a GF ) was awarded to the Storm and they won

And as ungracious as Mundine is - he still says " we ( St George ) are the real champs " - but they are not - and he cost them a certain Premiership

Sometimes I still have to give myself a big slap in the face for thinking he was done at the start of 2022. After a decade of disappointment, I just couldn't bring myself to believe that the fairy tale finish was even a possibility for Joel and the Cats.

I'm just happy that decades from now I'll be able to say that I was there when Geelong history was made, and the man became the legend. It feels like a moment as significant as any in the history of the game, if not the most. I just pray that he had an impact on the younger guys around him and some of them step up to carry to torch. There's no guarantee that happens, as we've seen at other clubs like Norf, Hawthorn, Adelaide, etc.

Great read. Although i think we will see joel back in the afl again at some stage in the meantime i think he and the storm are a great fit for each other-i think he will do well there.

Great read. Although i think we will see joel back in the afl again at some stage in the meantime i think he and the storm are a great fit for each other-i think he will do well there.
Agree. Think his future is in coaching at AFL level - hopefully at some point with us. 🤞

Think the Storm matter is a two-way deal. He'll help provide insight and will gain a lot of IP from the best coach in rugby league.

Sometimes I still have to give myself a big slap in the face for thinking he was done at the start of 2022. After a decade of disappointment, I just couldn't bring myself to believe that the fairy tale finish was even a possibility for Joel and the Cats.

I'm just happy that decades from now I'll be able to say that I was there when Geelong history was made, and the man became the legend. It feels like a moment as significant as any in the history of the game, if not the most. I just pray that he had an impact on the younger guys around him and some of them step up to carry to torch. There's no guarantee that happens, as we've seen at other clubs like Norf, Hawthorn, Adelaide, etc.
To be fair he was cooked in 2021
He was exceptionally managed in 2022
If he gave it up in 2021 I doubt we would’ve complained

Thank god he didn’t though

Agree. Think his future is in coaching at AFL level - hopefully at some point with us. 🤞

Think the Storm matter is a two-way deal. He'll help provide insight and will gain a lot of IP from the best coach in rugby league.
It will also force Joel out of his comfort zone by addressing the different rules, tactics and type of players of League. He can come back to AFL with a broader knowledge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back