Toast The Joel Selwood Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Great recognition for a great player. Too soon?

I dunno maybe I am just becoming an old fart.

Alternatives? Well you've got me there.

Wadey? Sam - not now!

Sydney CEO!!

GFC CEO??

His brother????

Thoughts?

I think we can make the mistake of taking for granted everything Joel has achieved. It's an incredible record when you see it all written down, and that doesn't include the behind the scenes things and the intangibles. It's unusual to name something so soon, but not undeserved.
Was thinking exactly this
Recency syndrome suggests its too soon but reality is his playing record is probably greatest ever in the clubs history

I dunno maybe I am just becoming an old fart.

Alternatives? Well you've got me there.

Wadey? Sam - not now!

Sydney CEO!!

GFC CEO??

His brother????

Thoughts?
Alternatives..,. I have thoughts

Name the light towers after Mathew Knights? They are now known as Mathew Knight lights.

Name the car park after Jack Parkin. This is now the Parkin car park.

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

I think we can make the mistake of taking for granted everything Joel has achieved. It's an incredible record when you see it all written down, and that doesn't include the behind the scenes things and the intangibles. It's unusual to name something so soon, but not undeserved.
Yeah I guess that's my view too

I'm so glad it's named after Joel Selwood. I will tell my son and future grand kids about watching Matty Scarlett, Jimmy Bartel, Paul Chapman, GAJ and GAS, what Costa and Cook did but there's noone I will be prouder to try and explain than Joel Selwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I was surprised. Ignorant on this, but is there anything at the ground named after Frank Costa? If not, I thought he was the obvious person to name the stand after.

I would've named it the Cook-Costa Stand after Brian Cook and Frank Costa who brought us back from the brink of financial oblivion in the late 90s and turning us into the powerhouse we became, but have no qualms about it being named after Joel either - a worthy accolade.

I'm so glad it's named after Joel Selwood. I will tell my son and future grand kids about watching Matty Scarlett, Jimmy Bartel, Paul Chapman, GAJ and GAS, what Costa and Cook did but there's noone I will be prouder to try and explain than Joel Selwood.

They all pale behind Ablett senior as far as I'm concerned. By a long, long way.

Congrats on this to Joel. Gates (Ablett), bays (Harley, Ling), rooms (Costa) etc can be named after others but he will likely tower above all for a long time at GFC, and this is a great way to honour him. And far better to do it before he is dead (RIP Warnie).

It's reasonably unprecented being so soon. Only other one I can think of is the Ricky Ponting stand at Bellerive which was named 2 years after he retired. The thing with stands is that it might be 30 years before you get the opportunity to name another one so have to strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

The natural choice. Selwood has always been a colossus. A gun from the day he joined, a young captain when appointed but ultimately our best, mature beyond his years according to everyone who's ever met him, and a truly humble soul despite his amazing achievements. A gigantic symbolic recognition of a giant of a man. Richly deserved.

As a player totally agree Partridge
However as a package of player/ leader/ mentor/ ambassador he really stands apart and thoroughly deserves this honour IMHO
GAS will never be surpassed in footy ability IMO... he just did s**t that no other player has done or could do.. and not kjsut that he did it... but he did it over and over and over thruhis 15 odd years. Different grounds, different types of games, differnt positions and differnt opponets all got to see GAS in full flight.

But he wasn't the greatest person and didnt make the best decisions - and all humans make mistakes... but Sel definitely rises to the top when the sum of the parts are added up.

But ill still watch GAS highlights over any other player any time - and die happier knowing I say a lot of that mofo live.

GO Catters

GAS will never be surpassed in footy ability IMO... he just did s**t that no other player has done or could do.. and not kjsut that he did it... but he did it over and over and over thruhis 15 odd years. Different grounds, different types of games, differnt positions and differnt opponets all got to see GAS in full flight.

But he wasn't the greatest person and didnt make the best decisions - and all humans make mistakes... but Sel definitely rises to the top when the sum of the parts are added up.

But ill still watch GAS highlights over any other player any time - and die happier knowing I say a lot of that mofo live.

GO Catters

But if that was the criteria very few football players would be selected for anything.

Why wait? Look at the great Barrassi. Nobody can agree how to honour him and because Melbourne is one of many tenants at the MCG no decision will be made any time soon.

We have a new stand at Geelong and I couldn’t think of a better servant of our club to name the stand after. It’s not because he’s the greatest player the club has had, because he isn’t. But as a package Joel embodies everything we love about the club.

The best part about it all is that the Club can name the stand after him

I would've named it the Cook-Costa Stand after Brian Cook and Frank Costa who brought us back from the brink of financial oblivion in the late 90s and turning us into the powerhouse we became, but have no qualms about it being named after Joel either - a worthy accolade.
Cook being at Carlton rules him out for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back