Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

When is this show suppose to start? Next season I assume? Most of Ch7's efforts with footy shows have been woeful, so I don't hold up much hope.
No, they're saying the bye round before Finals 2023

The Wills book is simply excellent. What a tragi-comic life he lived. And what an amazing influence he exerted over the eventual sporting landscape of this country.
There is a 2023 3rd edition of Tom Wills by Greg de Moore which deals with the appalling attempt to bring Wills down in regard to his relationship with aboriginal people.
The ABC decided to publish a redacted anonymous racist letter from 1895 which was completely factually incorrect in order to criticise Wills even though he trained and lived with the famous aboriginal cricket team when it first toured in Victoria and NSW.

A very good football book i bought around Xmas time last year - its a real football book - if you were around in the 60s you will enjoy it - and great historical pictures and stories and interesting statistics

Obviously if you were a Carlton supporter youd enjoy it even more - the Book is called Barassi,s Blues - the untold story of the 1968 Carlton Premiership team - but Geel features quite a bit - because the Cats were a very good unit in the 60s

What got me interested in the book was i actually went to the 68 GF - so i was familiar with it - it was a very ordinary low scoring game tho

The historical stuff just quickly - there is a newspaper report of a 7 year old boy hit by a truck/lorry in Canberra - and that kid just happened to be Alex Jesaulenko - lucky to be not more seriously injured

Some interesting stats - they had the leading possession winner of every GF in the 1960s - and 63 Cats flag ( for that GF there was kicks only ) and Stewart Lord hbf - was the leader with 22 kicks

One amazing thing - was back in that period - the number of champion Tasmanian young players - Royce Hart - Peter Hudson - then later on Mathew Richardson

But they recruited in the 60s - Brent Crosswell as a 17 year old boy - and at that age - his 1st game - was the 1st game of the 68 season - against Geel and the Cats in the 67 PF had wiped the floor with Carlton - gave them a 5 goal start - then kicked 11 goals to 1 in the 2nd half to win easily

In his 1st game in the VFL -Crosswell was opposed to Geelongs Denis Marshall a Geel b/f winner and 3 time Claremont b/f winner . " Brent Crosswell in the centre wont meet too many opponents as brilliant as Denis Marshall - young Crosswell never gave in and in the last half more than broke even with the brilliant Marshall " said Footy Weeks Kevin Dynon

If you were around in the 60s/70s i think youd enjoy the book - its written by Miles Wilks - who is a Carlton supporter - but it is brutally fair

There is a 2023 3rd edition of Tom Wills by Greg de Moore which deals with the appalling attempt to bring Wills down in regard to his relationship with aboriginal people.
The ABC decided to publish a redacted anonymous racist letter from 1895 which was completely factually incorrect in order to criticise Wills even though he trained and lived with the famous aboriginal cricket team when it first toured in Victoria and NSW.
Thanks for the info, Kitcat. Will have to track a copy down...

Yep. No prizes for guessing who the journalist was either.

Yep. No prizes for guessing who the journalist was either.
And the ABC timed the article for the dead news bye weekend before the 2021 Grand Final for maximum damage.
Fortunately, once the entire 1895 anonymous letter was published by other media (and the letter appeared in 1895 in a Chicago newspaper and never in Australia) it was seen to be an invented account produced for racist reasons.

Hmm - will have to read now, my sister recently gave me a copy of 3rd edition, which I wasn't intending to read, as same sister gave me the first edition of the same book three or four years ago.

Hmm - will have to read now, my sister recently gave me a copy of 3rd edition, which I wasn't intending to read, as same sister gave me the first edition of the same book three or four years ago.
There is a chapter at the end dealing with the allegations.
Fortunately, the attack seems to have died a death due to the absence of evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Luke' Selwood? How quickly they forget!

Pathetic by the Age.
Easy mistake to make, though.

All we heard from opposition supporters throughout his career was the infuriated calls of 'Luke! Selwood's won another free for ducking!'

#lostintranslation
#stillthegreatest
#wemissyouskipper

Might as well post this comment seeing as though Joel's thread has been bumped - but I was watching the Storm beat whoever last weekend (Roosters I think?) and after the game they interviewed a Storm player, might have been the captain Christian Welch - he was absolutely glowing in his praise for Selwood, it sounds as though he has made a big impact on the Storm playing group during the 2023 season.

Might as well post this comment seeing as though Joel's thread has been bumped - but I was watching the Storm beat whoever last weekend (Roosters I think?) and after the game they interviewed a Storm player, might have been the captain Christian Welch - he was absolutely glowing in his praise for Selwood, it sounds as though he has made a big impact on the Storm playing group during the 2023 season.
His absence made a big impact on Geelong too.

From premiers to no finals a year since retirement.

Wherever he goes, success follows

Selwood?
He’d no doubt be great - but I don’t mind the idea of him spending some time away from the club, broadening his sports - and life - experience.

How long do you think is a minimum though? He's been gone a year and we have an open vacancy.

If he's the best available option to fill that role, then being away from the club doesn't matter as much imo.

How long do you think is a minimum though? He's been gone a year and we have an open vacancy.

If he's the best available option to fill that role, then being away from the club doesn't matter as much imo.

I don't know if he is the best available option - I suspect he'd be very good in the role though ..

I don't know is the short answer - might be odd for him to be coaching a playing group who were his peers just a year ago though?

Personally I think he'd do well to spend a little longer away from the club, apart from this year he's basically been entrenched at Geelong for his entire adult life.

I don't know if he is the best available option - I suspect he'd be very good in the role though ..

I don't know is the short answer - might be odd for him to be coaching a playing group who were his peers just a year ago though?

Personally I think he'd do well to spend a little longer away from the club, apart from this year he's basically been entrenched at Geelong for his entire adult life.

Lol I bet every single person at the club would say that they never saw him as a 'peer.' He's otherworldly, and has always been a god amongst men, haha.

But seriously, I'm actually fine with Sel spending some time away. I would love it if he got more experience and then came back as a development coach or line coach in 2025, when most of the old krew had moved on.

Needs to come back to Geelong eventually though. Look what 1 year without him did :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back